Mini split questions?

/ Mini split questions? #81  
Here is what a clogged up fan looks like.

1643315897127.png

/ Mini split questions? #83  
That's a nasty looking fan!

Seems like you have a humidity scale or growth occurring on the fan - are these running all the time to condition the space, or "as needed when it gets to warm/humid?

/ Mini split questions? #84  
That's a nasty looking fan!

Seems like you have a humidity scale or growth occurring on the fan - are these running all the time to condition the space, or "as needed when it gets to warm/humid?
What happened in this case is someone was visiting, staying in the guest house, they adjusted the system to extreme settings. We've had our mini-split system for 6 years now. We've had it happen 3 times in those years where a visitor has caused this to happen, despite our warnings.

Two ways I've seen it happen. Someone sets the AC to the lowest temp setting possible. The unit never shuts off, and the coils and fan never get a chance to dry/drain during cooling cycles as normal. Second condition is they set the fan to high and turn the temp up and leave.

/ Mini split questions? #85  
Some advice for anyone planning to install a heat pump ductless mini split system for heat & A/C. If you live in a cold climate, locate the outdoor unit in a grassy area away from patios and walkways.

I just had 3 Fujitsu heat pump ductless mini split systems installed. The outdoor units were installed next to the house on a concrete walkway. When being used for heat, the units drip condensation which freezes on the walkway. During very cold weather, the ice builds up and turns into a mini glacier!

There is a short drain pipe on the bottom of the heated drip pan but if the pipe is extended, it freezes and gets blocked with ice. I may eventually experiment with an insulated drain hose wrapped with heat tape and divert the condensation into a drain. The best I can do for now is to put a shallow drain pan under the unit and remove the block of ice every so often.

This must be a fairly common problem but I don't see many complaints.

/ Mini split questions? #86  
Our Mitsubishi are Hyper Heat 2 9K and 1 12K and drain onto the ground below, a crushed stone border around the house - it does make an ice cake 2" high but no issue. We don't have the heated pan version and never had a problem with the tray freezing or blocking.

What about drilling thru the concrete walk like a 4" opening below each unit and adding crushed stone instead of a heated line?

/ Mini split questions? #87  
Our Mitsubishi are Hyper Heat 2 9K and 1 12K and drain onto the ground below, a crushed stone border around the house - it does make an ice cake 2" high but no issue. We don't have the heated pan version and never had a problem with the tray freezing or blocking.

What about drilling thru the concrete walk like a 4" opening below each unit and adding crushed stone instead of a heated line?
The units would have to be moved to drill the concrete. I should have done this before they were installed.

/ Mini split questions? #88  
Oh that's a good reason - ours are 2'+ off the ground to stay out of the snow.

/ Mini split questions? #89  
Oh that's a good reason - ours are 2'+ off the ground to stay out of the snow.

Ours are under a large second story deck and are protected from the weather so the contractor installed them 4" off the concrete patio.

/ Mini split questions? #90  
What happened in this case is someone was visiting, staying in the guest house, they adjusted the system to extreme settings. We've had our mini-split system for 6 years now. We've had it happen 3 times in those years where a visitor has caused this to happen, despite our warnings.

Two ways I've seen it happen. Someone sets the AC to the lowest temp setting possible. The unit never shuts off, and the coils and fan never get a chance to dry/drain during cooling cycles as normal. Second condition is they set the fan to high and turn the temp up and leave.
Set the temperature and take the remote before guests arrive. Problem solved.

My splits have Wi-Fi connection so I can monitor and set temperatures remotely.