Mighty Mule gate opener

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
After my old opener bit the dust and I had repaired it several times this last time I figured I would upgrade and get a new one the other one I had was used when I got it. So I purchased a Mighty Mule and installed it and after some head scratching I got it working much better than the old one ever did, but I also purchased the MMS100 wireless connectivity system and the problem is with the APP that goes with it we were able to down load it on my grandsons iPhone but it will not allow me to download it on my android it gives me the message "This app isn't available for your device because it was made for an older version of Android" I can't find a different mighty mule app to download and the person I talked to at mighty mule told me it would be fixed in 30 days I ain't believing that. The first person I talked to said I had an old version of Google play store and I had to delete it then reinstall it I called bs on that but tried it anyway nope it did not work. So if I'm not home I either have to supply someone a gate code or I contact my grandson to get the gate open he can open it from anywhere that he has cell phone service.

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #2  
Gate openers are all a PITA. Always something with them.

But, I installed a Ghost system about 3 years ago. Put a couple of batteries on it, but it works fine. No mess ups.

Most friends that have Mule openers are very often having issues. Not sure why...

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #3  
Anything that uses an app is suspect from both a privacy and reliability perspective. Since you can open the gate from anywhere using your smart phone, Mighty Mule is seeing and controlling your gate opener events. Their security is likely not very good (very few companies do this right) and you can bet they're selling your gate opener events, where you did them from and anything else they can hoover up off your phone to data brokers. If their server is down or your internet is down, you can't open the gate. When their software breaks, you can't open the gate. If they decide to stop supporting that gate opener or your version of the phone, you can't open the gate.

I suggest getting some non internet radio-based remotes for your cars, removing the MMS100 and chucking it in the trash. Program in some codes to give to people who need access and which you can delete when you no longer want them to have access.

/ Mighty Mule gate opener
So far this is exactly what I have, since I can't use there app.

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #5  
I have a ghost controls gate opener. I used a wifi relay/switch with it. Looks like the exact model I used a few years ago, has been discontinued, it is it similar to THIS and it's less than $20, but you'll need to wire it in.

I use one relay in inching mode to open the gate, which then closes by itself, and I use the other relay in a locking mode, so I can lock the gate open for deliveries and such. Works with google home from my android device.

Last edited:
   / Mighty Mule gate opener
That's interesting will check it out later, I wonder if the MMS100 could be connected to google home?

/ Mighty Mule gate opener #7  
I wonder if the MMS100 could be connected to google home?
not from the brief search I did, just a lot of people complaining about the MMS100 in all sorts of ways for all sorts of reasons.