MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #71  
Yogi, I just thought of something. When I got my Vevor 270, I tried it at first using the included dryer style to 3 prong 20A/120v and everything worked fine. I dont have a dryer style 220v in shed, so I ordered a dryer to 25a/220v twist lock (that's what my generator has, old welder, and shed) and it worked great for a 2.2# roll of wire. I waited a few weeks to get a 10# roll, and then I got feed, some very week sparks, and no weld, on arc or mig. I cuse a bunch, regret purchase, and all that. Then, I think, let's try it back on 120V, works fine. What had happened, the cheap Amazon cord adapter had a short and burnt up inside the male connector.

Point being, check your cord adapter (if running one), but if that's not it, get that thing returned ASAP
No adapter

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #72  
The reason I ask if fan comes on at power up, is because it seems to be the case in the video on Amazon..... IT would seem to me that no fan on at power up or no numbers in display is the machine is DOA..... And I have thoughts that on such a low end machine the extra cost of "fan on demand" was by passed....
Everything powers up as expected. Stick works, mig doesn't.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #73  
Umm by design the HMW 200 is a 120 Volt machine so 240V plug (adapter) should not even be in discussion...... And its claimed 200A on 120 Volts makes me wonder....

Real question after watching video on Amazon is does cooling fan start up on power up?.... IS there actually anything in display on power up?....
Powers up. Can stick weld, mig doesn't work.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #74  
Apparently there is a 2 year warranty from manufacturer.
I may contact them first and see if there's a common problem/easy fix for this.
May have to do amazon return. Did my first of those last week. It was easy enough to do
but a pain just the same. The refund showed in my bank as a charge instead of refund.
Then they said they received another return from me for an item on the same order, yet I only
returned one item. Worked out in the end because they also said I bought that item twice.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #75  
When you switch to mig and pull the trigger is there any sound? gas solenoid? Feed rolls turn? Looks like a euro connect torch. Have you wiggled the torch backend while holding the trigger?

Many of the machines that are not fan on demand have what they like to call smart fan. When you flip it on the fan will run. If you don't strike an arc the fan will shut off in a few minutes. I have a couple smart fan machines and the fans really aren't that smart.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #76  
When you switch to mig and pull the trigger is there any sound? gas solenoid? Feed rolls turn? Looks like a euro connect torch. Have you wiggled the torch backend while holding the trigger?

Many of the machines that are not fan on demand have what they like to call smart fan. When you flip it on the fan will run. If you don't strike an arc the fan will shut off in a few minutes. I have a couple smart fan machines and the fans really aren't that smart.
No gas/solenoid.
Wire feeds great.
Not possible to mix up mig vs. mma connection. Wire only feeds through one of the two possible connections.
No spark when tapping wire on ground clamp either.
I did not wiggle anything. All connections felt solid and positive.
Yes, euro connectors. (New term to me as of welder purchase).

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #77  
Yogi, I really would start the Amazon return process. You paid for more than one function; also, assuming we are talking a reasonably sized stick rod, we shouldn't need 140 amps to burn 3/32; and even with 1/8 rods, we should be able to strick and maintain an arc at 90-120 amps. Something is defective, and the manufacturer warranties are a Pain, and normally involve shipping back to point of origin. Let Amazon deal with that.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #78  
So, sorry if this questions your intelligence, but we all do stupid stuff, so

When you touched the flux wire to the ground, and got nothing, you Were pulling the trigger, right?

Assuming you were, it's a problem in the welder, like something on a board isn't soldered right, and it's not going to get better, it just needs returned and either a 2nd machine or an alternative needs ordered once the refund is made.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #79  
Yogi, I really would start the Amazon return process. You paid for more than one function; also, assuming we are talking a reasonably sized stick rod, we shouldn't need 140 amps to burn 3/32; and even with 1/8 rods, we should be able to strick and maintain an arc at 90-120 amps. Something is defective, and the manufacturer warranties are a Pain, and normally involve shipping back to point of origin. Let Amazon deal with that.
Yeah. Just looked into it a bit and I think amazon return is the wise move.
I guess it's return and then repurchase? Might change brands. Here we go into research mode again.

/ MIG Welder for Beginner/Light Use #80  
So, sorry if this questions your intelligence, but we all do stupid stuff, so

When you touched the flux wire to the ground, and got nothing, you Were pulling the trigger, right?

Assuming you were, it's a problem in the welder, like something on a board isn't soldered right, and it's not going to get better, it just needs returned and either a 2nd machine or an alternative needs ordered once the refund is made.
Umm. No. I had 5/8 in of wire sticking out so didn't pull the trigger. Is that required for arc?
My old mig would spark with touching the wire and as it started to burn you hit the feed trigger.

Jumpin' jeebus. Could it be that simple?