Metal Thickness?

/ Metal Thickness?
That looks like a former.. concrete buggy?! I love it!!

So glad to hear you’re sticking to the slew base. Even having to rotate with tracks between every scoop would SUCK. You wanna see a crazy swing boom idea, look at a Ditch Witch XT850! Crazy, not easy..

Will be interested to hear the results of the 2gpm pump. I would expext that to be on the slow side at anything less than full engine rpm. My preference would be for something that is a little fast at full rpm (but not crazy fast like your splitter pump!) and then rev down a little to suit. But its a balancing act because it takes X hp to make X psi at X gpm and i dont recall what your relief valve pressure is? Also, just out of curiosity, did the hydraulics ever stall the engine with the current pump? If you have a 3gpm high pressure stage on your current pump then the 2gpm pump would be proportionally slower than what that hogh pressure stage fees like right now. Cant wait for the updates!! 👍👍

Relief pressure on the valve is factory set at 2000psi - I didn't adjust it. Maybe I should.

The pump can stall the engine.... I think.
The engine hasnt been run in...5? years; at full throttle it runs like crap, same at idle, but great at 1/2 throttle! Lets say it might need a little work.
It'll die randomly; but often the hydraulics could stall it.

New pump is 1.93GPM at 2000 RPM, and 3.48 GPM at 3600 - it shouldn't be that bad?
I mean, anything seems better than what I have now.

I looked up the price of a use concrete buggy to rob the tracks from - they are quite expensive!

/ Metal Thickness? #132  
Ok, i misunderstood the pump rating.. 3.6 @ 3600 sounds about perfect!

Will have to get the engine running right to make full psi at full gpm, though. I can assure you that small engine carburetors are a LOT simpler than building a digger.. or buy a chinese clone for $16. Just dont throw away the original Honda unit.

/ Metal Thickness? #133  
When I tell people I want to build something, I always get asked "why?"
my answer has always been a confused "why not?!"

When I tell my wife I want to build something, I always get asked "why?"
my answer has always been a confused "why not?!"

/ Metal Thickness? #134  
Rule of thumb for hyd.pump drive is 1 hp makes 1gpm at 1500 psi. This is talking imperial gal. The US gal. Is smaller.

/ Metal Thickness? #135  
Im going to try and build myself a mini digger, similar to the one pictured.
Its a small machine with just under a 2x4 base, powered by a Honda GX160.
Without the tracks - given the cost of the tracks, motors, roller wheels, sprockets, rotary union, and a turret bearing large enough for the union, it'll have 2 roller wheels and 2 legs.
Anywho, I was going to use 1/4" steel plate, but the pictures look like it might be a 5/16 or 3/8 (or, given the country of origin, 8 or 10mm)

Think 1/4" would work?
I have a Weld-Pack 180, which technically can weld up to 1/2", however as I'm not a pro-welder, I'm more comfortable with 1/4"; but I don't know if it'll be strong enough.
Also, cylinder bore size, should I do 2", or smaller?

View attachment 773372
A couple of comments….After building stuff like this for years, I think you will be shocked at how much the parts will cost to build that thing. The odds and ends you will need add up in a big hurry. Don’t forget that the company that builds those excavators, buy the parts in bulk, probably in China.
Stating the thickness of metal a welder can weld is not very reliable. It usually refers to using a single pass on square edge material and it’s usually very optimistic. You can actually weld any thickness of metal, with a very small welder, with edge preparation and using multi-passes.
Have you thought of looking for a used mini excavator in poor shape and rebuilding it….may be cheaper in the long run.

/ Metal Thickness? #136  
A great Plan. A Better Plan is to sell the one you have and buy one that suits your needs. You will be time and money ahead in the long run IMHO.

/ Metal Thickness? #138  
As a life-long modifier of all mechanical things I get it. Sometimes your brain almost forces you to build things you could have bought. In my case i want to build at least two over-complicated FELs even though i already have 3 fel machines.

Any updates on this project??