Metal Building

/ Metal Building #31  
Hi J.W.

Did you check your contract regarding load requirements conforming to your local building code?

I would think that they need to make up the difference and not you.

Loading requirements should be a no brainer for a company that needs to do this on a daily basis.

Yooper Dave

/ Metal Building #32  
Well, that's just the way things get done to me, one problem after another. The contract, from what I can remember, did state the wind & snow loads AS SPECIFIED by the middle-dummy. He actually set the contract up for a neighboring county, not the one I resided in (we met him in another city at a restaraunt to make the deal). So therefore using standards of some other district. The amount of money was really not going to do me in, it's just the principle (as it always is). I also had my contract state that I could take delivery as late as I wanted, that way, I would hopefully have enough time to get the site prepared before it was actually brought out. But Murphy lives next door to me, so after $1500 in repairs to a S-10 Blazer, I did not have the money on hand to get the site ready, the manufacturer wanted to get it out of their way, so it got delivered and sat for almost a year before I could get construction under way. But as a side note, nowadays our really 'hard-working' inspectors want a structual engineering seal on any steel structure built in our county & I can't recall my original drawings from the manufacturer having any. So that's an important item to make sure it comes with the drawings. Now if I could just get my geodesic started, I'd be happy.

/ Metal Building #33  
Where did you get your kit from?

/ Metal Building #34  
Hi Daryl-

I took the looong, but cheap route and built a 30x42 metal equipment storage building using home made metal trusses. It was a lot of work, but was a fun project to work on. I wrote up step-by-step instructions for a welding email group that I'm a member of: http://users.arn.net/~usnick/welding.html

Total cost was a little over $4,000.

Mark

/ Metal Building #35  
Hi Mark,

I'd seen your truss project and barn building before and thought you did a great job... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, I just saw your custom bed... and WOW! you have some talent buddy... (and your wife Sam did a pretty nice job too!) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Mark's bed and dog Rocky...

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Metal Building #36  
When we had our trcking company we needed a building tall enough to raise a rolloff truck in the shop. we had a wood frame shop built that was 40 by 50 with 14 foot sides and i thin 20 feet to the peak between the rafters. its all metal outsides and is very sturdy. i think it cost 12 000 to have built and another 2000 for a 4 inch floor. Its got the shiny bubble insulation on it and its cool in he summer and holds heat pretty good in the winter. I use a 150000 BTU kerosene/diesel heater takes about 15 minutes to need the heater. we lined the wals with white house trailer tin on the inside and shiny insulation to the top. It helps with the lighting. Most folks think its an all metal building but they get a surprise when i mention the low costs.