Metal Building

/ Metal Building #1  

Daryl

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30,, Kubota Bx2360
Planning on building a building for workshop,tractor and wife's car. Plan on it being 24x30. Land is not level so will have to have some grade work. Can do basic carpentary but not much building experience at all.Question is how hard are the metal building kits to put up. Can a novice do it?

Thanks
Daryl

/ Metal Building #2  
Daryl-Be patient, someone will jump in soon that has built one themselves from a kit. Cowboydoc and several others have built metal pole buildings. Do a search and you will find several threads on the topic. Good luck.

/ Metal Building #3  
Hi Daryl,

When you refer to a metal building, do you mean a wood framed pole building with a metal skin, or a all steel framed building, or a steel arch package?

One thing to always keep in mind regardless of type of construction: maintain plumb, level and square.

You would be amazed at how many problems could be eliminated by enforcing this.

Make sure you also have enough help on hand to facilitate your construction.

And last but not least, make sure you do not under estimate how big of a building you will need.

Good luck with your project.

Yooper Dave

/ Metal Building #4  
Daryl, if you buy one of those kit buildings, they are not hard at all. They come with instructions on building the foundation and anchor bolt placement. If you do the foundation right (this is a good thing to have a pro do), then the building construction is just a bolt and screw together operation (I'm talking about an all-steel building, not a wood-framed pole barn). Go take a ride to a place that sells these and has a model to look at. You will see what I mean. Lots of grunt work, but nothing complicated about construction.

/ Metal Building #5  
24'X30' does not sound that big compared to what I had to deal with (40'X75'X16') with only two people (most of the time by myself). But the other fella's right, what kind of structure, pole barn or clear span? There is quite some difference on the features between different types and methods of construction. I would have done a few other things different with mine knowing what I have now. Need more specs on what type you want to end up with.
J.W.

/ Metal Building
Steel arch package i suppose. Been looking at what is offered on the internet sites. I want it to look like a regular garage because it is going to be close to the house and as I said the wife wants to be able to use part of it as a place to park her car in winter time. I want to have it wired for electric and use part as a small workshop.
It might be best to have one stick built. Just looking at all the options and cost. I am thinking the steel building will be quite a bit cheaper.Not sure though.

Thanks
daryl

/ Metal Building
J.W.
Did you get a kit for your building in you area. I am not far from the NC border. Does it need footers or is it just set on the slab. As I said am a novice and not sure about any of the building requirements.
thanks
dary

/ Metal Building #8  
Daryl,

I would think that for a small building like you want a pole building would be much cheaper. Pole barn construction is very simple and well suited for the do-it-yourselfer, especially because the footer work is merely dumping a couple bags of quickcrete down a hole. Pole barns can used any types of siding and roofing material and can be indistinguishable from conventional residential construction. There is also a ton of info on TBN and CBN about the finer points of pole barn construction. Just my $.02.

-Steve

/ Metal Building #9  
Steve,

Take a look at:

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/

and

http://www.clearancebuildings.com/

The footing is nothing more than a trench with a key way.

The panels just bolts together with 1 typical size bolt.

All panels are bolted on the ground and then raised 1 at a time and very quickly.

No poles, no sheathing, no trusses, no girts, no purlins.
The shell is the structure. It would be hard to get much easier than this.

Just make sure that all of the openings are at the ends.

Yooper Dave