Made some big bales this weekend

/ Made some big bales this weekend #31  
Do you haul all that equipment around on a trailer or do you drive it there?

/ Made some big bales this weekend
Do you haul all that equipment around on a trailer or do you drive it there?

I drive it from farm to farm.
The Case-IH MX-270 and the Krone Baler weigh about 64,000lbs combined.

Little bale stacking today.
Bales were about 1700lbs/ea.

1658357319237.jpeg

1658357412778.jpeg

/ Made some big bales this weekend #34  
You had said that you bail smaller ones for livestock. What are the larger ones used for?

You had said that you bail smaller ones for livestock. What are the larger ones used for?

The larger (4x4x8) ones can also be for livestock. I just verbally sold some to a buyer who raises beef. She will be taking delivery soon.

The 4x4x8’s you see in the pictures above can also become mushroom hay. Still has to be good hay, under 20% moisture (it’s checked before unloading) and free of noxious weeds, but they want that hay to lay out a little longer and turn tan/brown. They don’t want to handle green/hot hay.

Some clowns think mushroom hay moldy or junky. If it is, the mushroom hay buyers will reject it. It‘s actually just feed hay left down a few extra days to lose it’s color. They dont want hay with chlorophyll or moisture in it.

What we attempt to do is make feed hay on every field, but if it gets rained on or sits too long, it becomes mushroom hay. That way we aren’t trying to sell rained on hay to feed customers.

The smaller bales (4x4x5) you ask of are specifically made for my smaller feed hay buyers that have hay huts or smaller feeders.

Last edited:
Still baling LOTS of hay. Stopped briefly from late July to mid August to take a vacation and right back at it when we returned.
Organic fertilizer paying big dividends for tonnage (y)

Below: These are my first bales weighing over 2,000lbs each. Just made these blocks today.

1662419862454.jpeg

Below: 2000lbs

1662419923941.jpeg

Below: Unfertilized field. Yields not that great. Sparse on clump grasses.

1662420051567.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Made some big bales this weekend #38  
I’ve never seen big squares around here, just big rounds and a few people still do some small squares. I was somewhere on vacation and they did the large squares and had huge stacks of them. Maybe in Colorado where they irrigated their hay fields?

/ Made some big bales this weekend #39  
I'd love to have some 2,000 pound horse quality bales around here!!!!! I can't help but wonder how long they would last compared to the round bales that I'm feeding my horses and goats.

/ Made some big bales this weekend #40  
Haydude, your photos are making me homesick, missing that green Pennsylvania farm country. Only green around here this time of year are the pivots.......

IMG_0958ertbn9-6-22.jpg