M610 Starter Replacement

/ M610 Starter Replacement #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I may need to change the starter in my 610 soon, or at least get the starter out and have a look at it as the starter drive sounds like it does not engage fully every once in a while. I don't want to end up with mangled teeth on the ring gear so I'd like to look at it now before it gets worse.

Any way to R&R the starter without pulling the motor? I don't find much in the repair manual about the starter and I searched this site and did not turn up much on working on the starter on a 600 series machine.

/ M610 Starter Replacement #2  
That would be next to impossible to get at, seeing that the starter is on the inside. I've got the same engine but the 700 has the direct drive hydrostatic pumps so it's clocked 90 degrees ccw to yours.
You might try asking on the skidsteer forum, there are a few guys there that have 610's.

/ M610 Starter Replacement
Good idea. I haven't been there in some time. I'll look around and see if anyones ever posted anything about it.

/ M610 Starter Replacement
Picked up a starter off eBay so I am ready whenever it goes or I get a chance to swap it out before it dies altogether which would be my preference. The original starter might be in rebuildable condition so I figured it would be better to have the spare to swap out and not be stranded with no starter for some period of time.

/ M610 Starter Replacement #5  
Removing the starter from your 610 will give you a whole new vocabulary. You start by removing the seat and the tin cover.
Be sure to disconnect the battery and use an old blanket to lay on. Use a mirror and light to find the bolts (3) on the starter mount flange. My 610 has a support bracket at the rear that has to be removed first, remove the wires from the solenoid. Remove the 3 bolts from the mount and remove the starter. (Be careful, the starter is heavy).
Install in reverse order of removal.
Good luck
A J K
bobcat69