M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I'm on my third hand chuck on an M18 Milwaukee 2604-20 1/2" cordless drill - trying to find one that works as well as the old hand chucks on previous Milwaukees. I don't use hammer mode. It's mostly used for light twist drills in wood or metal.

The chuck that came on the drill wouldn't hold a quarter inch bit from spinning. Neither would the first Rohm replacement. The second Rohm worked for about a year and then the insides gave up. So Rohm is junk, but the basic Milwaukee drill motor is as good as they always are.... and I've got several batteries.

I figure I'm not the only person with an M18. Anyone have a chuck recommmendation?
rScotty

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #2  
I don't have a Milwaukee but I too am wondering what brand is a good one as far as keyless chucks go, I've never had any luck with them.

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #3  
Been years since I bought a replacement chuck, but back then they were standard threads. Maybe find a good chuck on an older drill at a pawnshop and change them out if the threads are still interchangeable?

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #4  
Wow, how long have you had it? I’ve got one that’s right at about 12 years old now that’s never had that issue, I can see if there’s any marks on it for the manufacture.

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #5  
Upgraded two 1/2” corded drills to Metabo keyless chucks and absolutely love them. Surprisedly cheap on eBay at the time.

Newer DeWalt cordless 1/2” has a nice all metal keyless chuck.

Last edited:
   / M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #6  
I have one I need to change the chuck on but cannot get that silly a$$ bolt out of the center. The head appears rounded even though it has never been touched. Plan on using a chuck from an old M18 if it will fit and if I every get that bolt out.

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #7  
I have one I need to change the chuck on but cannot get that silly a$$ bolt out of the center. The head appears rounded even though it has never been touched. Plan on using a chuck from an old M18 if it will fit and if I every get that bolt out.

Left thread?

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade #8  
I think they are left thread and the ones I have changed had allen key headed screws as I recall.

/ M18 Drill Chuck Upgrade
You do know that bolt has a left hand thread?