Low Cost and Easy Solution for Startup Problems JD 5410

/ Low Cost and Easy Solution for Startup Problems JD 5410 #1  

MichKubota

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2850 Hydrostatic/ Deere 5410 w/loader
This post explains how I fixed my fuel delivery and priming issues on my 5410.

This solution may have faults and issues. Use at your own risk.

Problem - If my 5410 tractor was not used for a month or more (with less than half a tank) after starting it would stall out after about 10 seconds. Then I couldn't get it re-started. This was due to losing fuel prime. In addition while operating the tractor if fuel level got below 1/2 tank, it would lose power and may even stall. The issue is the fuel tank sits too low so the tractor needs a fuel lift pump.

This is not the factory recommended method outlined in John Deere technical solution #54399. For that solution you should see the following 2 very well written posts.

1. Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...jd-5220-a.html

2. JD 5425 Fuel Pump Upgrade Questions
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...p-upgrade.html

This solution is easier and costs are minimal.
1. Uses a low pressure fuel lift pump. The fuel pump is about $15 from Ebay or Amazon. It's important that it is low pressure (4 psi max.). Just enough to deliver fuel to fuel filter but not too much as to damage fuel filter or injector pump seals This also makes it possible to eliminate the return fuel line from the fuel filter shown in Deere solution. The fuel pump used was from Ebay and it includes a inline fuel filter

Electric Fuel Pump 12v 2.5-4 psi Universal Standard Self Priming Heavy Duty Gas Diesel In-Line In-Tank
12V Volt 2.5-4PSI Universal Fuel Pump Electric Inline Low Pressure Gas Diesel US | eBay

2. A small "L" bracket was made to hold the pump. It's attached to a tractor using 2 existing bolts just below the right foot pad. The fuel line runs through this area making it easy to splice it into the pump.

3. A relay is not needed to power the fuel lift pump (as in John Deere solution). This pump only requires 2amps maximum (mine measured at 1.1amps) so it can be wired to switched power without relay. The switched power connections come from the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injector pump.

I have been using this solution for only a short time but it seems to have solved my startup and stalling issues.

Attachments

• Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 180
  • pump on bracket.png
    pump on bracket.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 184
  • Wiring Injector.png
    Wiring Injector.png
    8.2 MB · Views: 217
  • fuel pump mount.jpg
    fuel pump mount.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
Last edited:
   / Low Cost and Easy Solution for Startup Problems JD 5410 #2  
How is your fuel pump going now with some more time on it?

/ Low Cost and Easy Solution for Startup Problems JD 5410 #3  
Hello

I found this thread and wanted to inquire. Hopefully Mich is still monitoring the forum.
I have a 5420 giving me problems holding a prime and might be headed toward a fuel pump.

A few questions

1) How is the mod holding up? Any "wish I had done this or that"
2) Why does this mod not require all the extra electrical that the JD mod require?
3) If I wanted to add the return line with this mod do you think it would still work or would that rob the lower volume of fuel being sent?

That is what struck me is the electrical piece... I hate doing electrical work on vehicles and not good at it.

Thanks

/ Low Cost and Easy Solution for Startup Problems JD 5410 #4  
Not aware of how the op's fuel pump addition has held up over time, but I have done the same thing on 2 diesel zero turn mowers. One has about 400 hours after adding, and the other I sold with around 1000 hours after.
My case was slightly different, in that I was adding 2 micron filters which restricted the fuel flow enough to need the additional pump.
The only issue I see is that the pump filter that came with the pump has very small capacity. Being the first filter inline, it's likely to clog up in a short time. I used a larger 50 micron inline filter which has worked out well for me. The pump really should have a filter on the intake side.

/ Low Cost and Easy Solution for Startup Problems JD 5410 #5  
Amazon $9.99

Electric Fuel Pump 12v Electric Transfer Universal Low Pressure Gas Diesel Fuel Pump 2.5-4psi HEP-02A​

1710124263154.png

willy