Looking for the best UTV for play and work

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #21  
Just personally, I would not subject any UTV to snowplowing that had a belt clutch. And in general, (I think) most don't have a sufficiently heavy drivetrain for that kind of work.

Difficult. You want a toy but want to have a working tool as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've lived both sides of this. I used to have a John Deere Gator 620i XUV IMG_2593.JPG that I really enjoyed -- and yes, it was peppy and fun to drive -- and now I have a brand new Kubota RTV-X 1100C. I live in a very snowy area (200" last winter, 265" a few years ago) and I use the UTV primarily for plowing my 1000' long private road. We haven't had much snow this winter (darn it), but I've used the Kubota enough to tell you this:
There's no comparison. The Kubota is a serious piece of professional level equipment, the old Gator was much more of a toy. If I wanted to go trail riding, that Kubota would be my last choice...but for work, I'll take the Kubota hands down. For my application, anything with a CVT would be something I'd avoid.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #23  
I tried like heck to try and convince myself that I still needed the tractor. Since the driveway is getting paved this spring, there is no more grooming or grading. All the property is final graded. I cleaned up every limb and twig and branch i could possibly find with the grapple. It was too big and silly to mow with, so the only reason at all to keep it would have been for snow removal. That would be a shame to just let it sit unused for 80% of the year. Plus it cost 50k. Too much to sit and rot.

Can the RTV1100C go into the trails at all?

Pretty scary that these UTV's are close to the same price of a new base Jeep.

I will be test driving later this week. Will stop by the Honda and Yamaha dealer, as well as the Kubota dealer. Perhaps take a spin in the new sidekick.

Wow!! Paving all of that--Good for you! I'd love to do the same but the cost keeps me spooked.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #24  
Club Car Carry All, or how about 2 Army Jeeps Korean+ ERA that have been "restified"? Willys For Sale, classicars.com, hemmings, ebay, craigslist, or simply an Army Surplus Yard near you. Buy it and restify, or buy it restified, or restore it. Still less than a new UTV.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #25  
   / Looking for the best UTV for play and work #26  
What is great mileage for an UTV? Like the mileage on ATVs, great mileage for an UTV would associate with 1000 to 2000 miles. Obviously, the lower the mileage the better kemimoto, yet this quite often implies an expansion in cost also.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #27  
“Can the RTV1100C go into the trails at all?”

yes but not ideal, Neighbor sold his when I had to keep pulling him out w my cj5

my 6x4 gator (that I repaired for a flip) did better

he got a quad and plows his pavement with that

more passes but he enjoys and has plenty of pocket change

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #28  
Depends what kind of trail riding you do. I LOVE my RTV-X1100C. But my trails are all pretty good ground. I don't go mud bogging. But I love how the RTV will climb anything even at almost idle. It is quiet, I get to see lots of scenery and wildlife. It will climb hills in 2WD that my atv's will not in 2WD. When the bugs or weather gets bad, I can roll up the windows.
It all depends on what you like. I have atv's, a brand new dirt bike and an RZR1000 sitting here and seems like the only thing that gets any use is the RTV. And as a bonus it uses half the fuel of the others on the same ride. And I can bring a load of firewood home with me.

But I wouldn't want to get it in deep mud or beach sand. Unless I had a crane to get it out, LOL

Attachments

• 20220522_130757 (Large).jpg
    20220522_130757 (Large).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • 20220507_165123.jpg
    20220507_165123.jpg
    913.1 KB · Views: 4,658
  • 20220507_165324.jpg
    20220507_165324.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220522_155633 (Large).jpg
    20220522_155633 (Large).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
   / Looking for the best UTV for play and work #29  
“Can the RTV1100C go into the trails at all?”

yes but not ideal, Neighbor sold his when I had to keep pulling him out w my cj5

my 6x4 gator (that I repaired for a flip) did better

he got a quad and plows his pavement with that

more passes but he enjoys and has plenty of pocket change

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • tempImageRZ4Q6A.jpg
    tempImageRZ4Q6A.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,798
No issue for me

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #30  
I just sold my 2018 Kubota L6060 Cab this week because I had no real use for it anymore. Primarily used it for helping on the new house I just built. Lots of grappling and moving dirt around. I didn't use it for over a month so I posted it and it sold fast. Now the garage had a big empty spot in it. I'm itching to fill it back up!

I have 20 acres and my goal is to buy a UTV that serves a few purposes.

1) To provide smiles and fun, and to provide seating for at least 3.

2) To be able to have decent snow plow capabilities. I have a half mile driveway.

I do have someone that will plow if I had to, but I find it fun and satisfying and would prefer to do myself. I love snow! Sadly it's been a zero snow winter so far except for a wacky Nov 15th storm.

I have read and watched everything possible online. I was originally thinking the Kubota RTV1100C was the one, being that it was the clear winner on the truly capable plowing it provides, but then I got hung up on the total lack of fun factor. Not just the top speed limitation, but rather a lack of zippiness. Then I turned to the new Deere 835 and 865, which seem great because they have the controlled cab but can also get the heart pumping. Also love the fact that the front windshield can lift up for enjoying nice weather. If I went this route, Im sure I would struggle with picking the gas or diesel. Even though the conditioned cabs are beautiful, I would imagine for some of the year you would like to enjoy the weather in the open.

Then I started looking at the Honda Pioneer. This is a great machine, but the back flip seats are somewhat of a joke, and it does seem a bit large for tight trails. Now I am heavily looking at the Yamaha Wolverine X4. It seems to get serious praise across the board. Seems to excel in all areas. But then I look at the plows that they make for these two machines and it seems like joke... looks like a flimsy blade being controlled by the winch. I read warning to stay under 5pm, to not lift blade with snow on it, and that most done even angle unless you manually do it. Also, with either of these machines, I would not have the beauty of the conditioned cab like the deere and kubota. Seems like the beefier Pioneer would be able to handle a v-plow but I don't think it can.

As you can see I'm lost and all over the map. Any thoughts?
If you want a TRUE plowing UTV buy kubota.I am on my second one since 2006 that had 1000 plus hours of plowing and hard work.Bought a 2021 RTV 1100c last year no issues..

Attachments

• tempImageq6jsPf.jpg
    tempImageq6jsPf.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 525
  • tempImageOXFIMT.jpg
    tempImageOXFIMT.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,007