Looking for the best UTV for play and work

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #1  

OrangeMuscle

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I just sold my 2018 Kubota L6060 Cab this week because I had no real use for it anymore. Primarily used it for helping on the new house I just built. Lots of grappling and moving dirt around. I didn't use it for over a month so I posted it and it sold fast. Now the garage had a big empty spot in it. I'm itching to fill it back up!

I have 20 acres and my goal is to buy a UTV that serves a few purposes.

1) To provide smiles and fun, and to provide seating for at least 3.

2) To be able to have decent snow plow capabilities. I have a half mile driveway.

I do have someone that will plow if I had to, but I find it fun and satisfying and would prefer to do myself. I love snow! Sadly it's been a zero snow winter so far except for a wacky Nov 15th storm.

I have read and watched everything possible online. I was originally thinking the Kubota RTV1100C was the one, being that it was the clear winner on the truly capable plowing it provides, but then I got hung up on the total lack of fun factor. Not just the top speed limitation, but rather a lack of zippiness. Then I turned to the new Deere 835 and 865, which seem great because they have the controlled cab but can also get the heart pumping. Also love the fact that the front windshield can lift up for enjoying nice weather. If I went this route, Im sure I would struggle with picking the gas or diesel. Even though the conditioned cabs are beautiful, I would imagine for some of the year you would like to enjoy the weather in the open.

Then I started looking at the Honda Pioneer. This is a great machine, but the back flip seats are somewhat of a joke, and it does seem a bit large for tight trails. Now I am heavily looking at the Yamaha Wolverine X4. It seems to get serious praise across the board. Seems to excel in all areas. But then I look at the plows that they make for these two machines and it seems like joke... looks like a flimsy blade being controlled by the winch. I read warning to stay under 5pm, to not lift blade with snow on it, and that most done even angle unless you manually do it. Also, with either of these machines, I would not have the beauty of the conditioned cab like the deere and kubota. Seems like the beefier Pioneer would be able to handle a v-plow but I don't think it can.

As you can see I'm lost and all over the map. Any thoughts?

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #2  
Just personally, I would not subject any UTV to snowplowing that had a belt clutch. And in general, (I think) most don't have a sufficiently heavy drivetrain for that kind of work.

Difficult. You want a toy but want to have a working tool as well.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #3  
Last edited:
   / Looking for the best UTV for play and work #4  
I am a big Yamaha fan;I have owned three new ones.Grizzley ATV,Rhino(450cc) and currently a 2016 Viking.
My machines are used for my business and some trail riding;they "must" work when needed.
I put 4,000 trouble free miles on my Rhino and have 1200 on the Viking.These machines will push snow like gang busters and the CVT trans of Yamaha is the best out there;also the Yamahas have engine braking.
The Viking is a three seater;the New Wolverine X2 or X4 are a 850cc twin.
In our family we currently have two Vikings,a Grizzley,JD 825 and a Kawasaki Terx and a new Kodiak.
Belt driven machines got a bad rap from the old Polaris machines.I have a 1998 Kawasaki Prairie purchased new with 4000+ miles(snow-plowed with it) with the original belt on it.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #5  
Belt driven machines got a bad rap from the old Polaris machines.I have a 1998 Kawasaki Prairie purchased new with 4000+ miles(snow-plowed with it) with the original belt on it.

Agree 100% - I used our Mule FXT to haul very large loads of wood up steep inclines, tow 700-800lbs of dirt up hills and never had the belt slip. Years ago that was a big issue but there are several belt drives out there that can easily plow snow and not have any problems..

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #6  
Kawasaki mule pro-fx or fxt. I use mine for play and work. To me, it has the best of both worlds. The kubota will out work it but It’s too slow for play. The others can out play it but to light for work. Good luck choosing.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #7  
Amazing. Those front wheel driveshafts on the UTVs remind me of Q-Tips!

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #8  
kubota diesel - it's not loud at all. and a real work horse

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #9  
This reminds me of my dream vehicle. A combination sports car/ dump truck. It will cruse at 70, get 40 mpg and can carry 5 tons of rock.:laughing:

I'm sure that you'll find something that works for you. Good luck.

/ Looking for the best UTV for play and work #10  
This thread may help you. OP did FINALLY make a choice/decision :D:laughing::cool2:https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4819138
I have owned a RTV1140 for 8 years and it's permanent. It currently has about 400 sq ft of used pallet boards for cabin wall lining on the back of it to take up my mountain. It is a work machine and has even pulled my L3901 out of a bad downhill situation before and hauled lots of overflowing bed full of dirt and gravel and that's with extended bed and back seat up. I recently bought a RTV500 gas for grandson for a bit more zip and shorter turning circle. He's 14 and been driving the RTV1140 since he was 6. He loves them both but smiles more with the newer RTV500 which he has now gotten dirty.
Bottom line, you may have to buy two different machines for what you want. Buy new Kubota and maybe a used faster other color/brand. :2cents: