Looking for log splitter recommendation

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation #11  
Kinetic splitters are scary fast, around $3k. Built a "bucking table" so there isn't any bending & lifting rounds
A few years ago, I went to the Paul Bunyan show where they had a "splitter showdown". A Timberwolf TW-5 with a 4-way wedge was next to the team with a Kinetic splitter with the heavier flywheels.

These were 2-man teams, and all had the same amount of wood with the same size rounds, "real world" average size and bigger sized rounds, just about like anyone would get at home.

It was a timed event with guys watching every splitter for cheaters and the splits had to be sized to go through a piece of ply with a hole in it, so NO big splits.

When the Timberwolf was done, there was still several pieces there for the Kinetic to split! That TW's 4-way made all the difference and blew the Kinetic away!

The TW-5 is almost identical to my TW-3HD, except my TW-3HD is "slightly" faster in BIG wood. I paid just under $3,500.00 for my splitter with the 4-way wedge and table grate.

SR

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation #12  
The Timber Wolf looks like a very nice splitter to me. I got lucky a got a used splitter about a year ago from a guy moving, I think a gave $800. I know what you mean about stuff being in the way. I included a picture of mine. When I’m splitting with it horizontal I’m working around the tire, I’ve gotten used to it but it is in the way. The only thing I see wrong with the Timber Woof is the cost, not cheap but the log lift looks nice.
D342A940-2C3C-4CD7-95E1-B798B1A88854.jpeg

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation
The TW-5 is almost identical to my TW-3HD, except my TW-3HD is "slightly" faster in BIG wood. I paid just under $3,500.00 for my splitter with the 4-way wedge and table grate.

SR
The -3HD is a VERY nice unit, a serious commercial machine, list price is about $9K for one setup like you have. For this homeowner that is just too much $$$. The -3 comes in at about $3700 optioned the way I want.

The American CLS is a nice machine, I just received a quote from them, they are more expensive than the Timberwolf.

Next up is to get pricing and details on the Split-fire.

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation #14  
We burned firewood for the first ten years we were here. I looked at the options and chose a stand alone horizontal splitter. My wood is all Ponderosa pine. Ancient P. pine - as a matter of fact. So...this meant gigantic rounds. 28" to 38" on the butt cut.

Fell one tree - cut to length. Dig a trench - roll the splitter into the trench. Now the splitting beam is dead level with the existing ground. No need to lift any rounds.

It took two trees to get five full cords of firewood. We don't measure ANYTHING by facecords.

If I had to do it all over again. I would have got a Timberwolf - if they were available. My splitter - Didier - came up a tad short on splitting some of the really knotty pine.

FWIW - no type of kinetic splitter would have ever done the job. It would simply become an point of irritation.

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation #15  
Stay out of the "grey market"; the name might be there, but they are cheap imposters. Buy American made.

Edit: wedge; the two stage wedges seem to work better than the single. A nice big table to hold the excess, and a vertical-horizontal.

Last edited:
   / Looking for log splitter recommendation #16  
I have a Troy-Bilt log splitter from Lowes with a Honda engine. When I was looking around, I came to the conclusion that they are all pretty much the same except for the engine. In my experience, nothing starts year after year better then a Honda. Every other brand is compared to Honda, but I don't believe any are as good.

I've had mine for a dozen years now, and it starts just as easy today as it did when I bought it. It's rated for 27 tons, and that's proven to be plenty for my oak trees. If I can pick it up and get it on the splitter, I can split it!!!!

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation #17  
The -3HD is a VERY nice unit, a serious commercial machine, list price is about $9K for one setup like you have. For this homeowner that is just too much $$$. The -3 comes in at about $3700 optioned the way I want.

The American CLS is a nice machine, I just received a quote from them, they are more expensive than the Timberwolf.

Would you mind posting prices and options you decided on? I was looking into those 3 brands last night as they were suggested... Thank you

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation
The prices I am getting are for 3-pt splitters w/PTO pump, table grate and 4 way wedge.
Timberwolf TW-3 -- $3650
American CLS -- $4420
Split-fire -- $3610- I think this is the price in USD, it might be in CAD, still need to clarify.

My tractor has a hydraulic flow of 16.9 gpm so I am not sure I need the expense of a PTO pump setup, which is adding about $1500 to the costs. I'm pushing 70, only going to do about 2 cord a year and I won't be in such a hurry to get things split like I was when I was younger.

Wife has a Kubota RTV900 on order so I can use that to shuffle wood around and not need the tractor to do it while I am splitting.

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation #19  

I'll bet you, that if you do some detective work, you can buy one for one heck of a lot less than 9K!

SR

/ Looking for log splitter recommendation #20  
Thank you very much! I was eyeing the split fire up myself because the back and forth splitting perk.