Limestone road base issue

/ Limestone road base issue #11  
I have a covered RV shed with both ends open to drive through. The floor is limestone road base. Can this be a cause of rust and corrosion? All the framing is rusted and everything parked in there develops rust in places. Anyone else have this problem? I cant find any good info on it and want to know before I get it all out of there. Shed is about 5 years old.
The problem is your shed. Move it to a dry location not shaded by trees. Enclose it fully. Insulate 4 walls and roof. Put in an insulated concrete floor with vapour barrier. Keep the interior heated to above the condensation point.

/ Limestone road base issue #12  
If the stone is “modified” (stone with stone dust) that will hold moisture pretty well. Especially with no vapor barrier. Clean stone will hold less moisture, but in a tractor shed, it’ll usually become clogged up with grass clippings & hay, etc.

/ Limestone road base issue #13  
All the crushed stone I've seen in my area was a limestone product. Lime dust and water is corrosive, try and find a lime spreader made of steel that hasn't corroded severely.
Stone dust can be controlled by using road "oil" which in todays environment are usually vegetable based oils. Any non corrosive dust control would help to bind the stone dust and reduce it's alkalinity and corrosiveness.

/ Limestone road base issue #14  
Another option might be to make sure the pad is well drained, add a vapor barrier, and pour concrete over the top.

Won't solve the humidity in the air issue.

/ Limestone road base issue #15  
In my area gravel is usually granite. They remove the “cap rock” which is usually limestone or other soft rock and throw it away.

I agree with the moisture is coming up through the gravel. You get certain days, usually in the spring where you get a sudden warm day and everything just gets wet.

/ Limestone road base issue #16  
Glad we solved that problem . What oil should I use ? Kevin .

/ Limestone road base issue #17  
Glad we solved that problem . What oil should I use ? Kevin .
Try to see if you can get used fryer oil, otherwise whatever is cheapest. Oftentimes fryer or soybean oil at Costco is cheaper.

If you (and/or @fishfrank) can improve the drainage around the shed, that would certainly help. Putting a water barrier, and drains would be ideal, but I recognize that take times and money.

All the best,

Peter

/ Limestone road base issue #18  
What ever type you like and can afford.
There are some polymers that are supposed to be excellent but a bit costly.
Any outfit that does chip seal roads would have a source.
And, of course the old standby is frowned upon my some, used oil.

/ Limestone road base issue #19  
Did you dig out the area to put the stone in? If you did you may have made a pool..filled with gravel.