Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,641  
I could see how tall grass could get pulled into that gap.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,642  
leonz - I have an iMatch quick hitch on it and flail only has one hole. It's in the float when mowing and raise front end of flail in higher stuff. Real high and thick stuff I had to lift mower and roller up about 4 inches.

Grass wrapping around rotor and getting warm is my concern. I'm guessing that's from grass too high. Doesn't seem to wrap in lower thin stuff. 1st pic is where its wrapping..after I cleaned it out.
View attachment 759153

Do I have the best blades for cutting grass shown in 2nd pic? Wasn't sure if side slicers would be better Grass only. Very little brush at field edges. Have a brush hog for that stuff sitting nearby for that.
View attachment 759152

thanks again for the help everyone.

Good morning Nittanyjd,

The scoop knives you have are a multi-purpose mowing and shredding knife.

The side slicer knife with the slotted mounting hole is best suited for shredding brush
and mowing grass as you can make multiple passes to shred the grass and brush to a
very fine clipping that will rot away and dissolve in the soil quickly.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,643  
Question on Caroni TL1500c blades.
I haven't posted here in years. Find I am past due for replacing the blades on my nearly ten year old mower. Including tax and shipping new ones are now close to ten dollars each from Agri-Supply (#49410- type A&F)-- ouch. But their catalog says these are reversible and my original ones have not been reversed. However in looking at the ones that are on the mower they don't 'look' reversible-- the reverse side does not have an edge like the current front side.
Can anyone confirm whether these will cut decently if I reverse them? Would sure save a bunch of dollars if I can.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,644  
leonz - I have an iMatch quick hitch on it and flail only has one hole. Its in the float when mowing and raise front end of flail in higher stuff. Real high and thick stuff I had to lift mower and roller up about 4 inches.

Grass wrapping around rotor and getting warm is my concern. I'm guessing that's from grass too high. Doesn't seem to wrap in lower tin stuff. 1st pic is where its wrapping..after I cleaned it out.
View attachment 759153

Do I have the best blades for cutting grass shown in 2nd pic? Wasn't sure if side slicers would be better Grass only. Very little brush at field edges. Have a brush hog for that stuff sitting nearby for that.
View attachment 759152

thanks again for the help everyone.

When you raise the cutter up the blades have a harder time actually cutting the grass. The grass will be moved instead of being cut. The moving comes from both the air turbulence and the blades themselves. This will cause the grass to tangle into the cutters. The closer to the base of the grass you are cutting the easier time the blades have of actually cutting the grass instead of just pushing it. It's like shaving with a razor blade. If you hold the blade off your skin it won't cut much. If it's against your skin it cuts everything. Try lowering the mower and moving slower to see if the wrapping issue continues. Tipping the flail too far up will stress your PTO shaft U-joint as the angle of the joints is greatly increased. And mowing with it completely off the ground will only cut stiff vegetation.

Most flails only have one top link hole. When I mow with my flail I set the top link on the tractor side to the bottom hole. That allows the mower to move more in an arc with the tractor instead of staying parallel. This helps with hills as the mower will be more parallel with the ground than with the rest of the tractor.

The blades you have are great for cutting grass. When it is time to replace the blades you could purchase those again or you can switch to the Alamo style blades to save yourself a few dollars. Either will cut grass great. The blades you have aren't great for brush if you ever thought about cutting brush. They'll do okay, but not great. The heavier version of the Alamo style blade does better, and it is the best option for your mower if you intend on cutting brush.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,645  
I haven't posted here in years. Find I am past due for replacing the blades on my nearly ten year old mower. Including tax and shipping new ones are now close to ten dollars each from Agri-Supply (#49410- type A&F)-- ouch. But their catalog says these are reversible and my original ones have not been reversed. However in looking at the ones that are on the mower they don't 'look' reversible-- the reverse side does not have an edge like the current front side.
Can anyone confirm whether these will cut decently if I reverse them? Would sure save a bunch of dollars if I can.

I don't know anything about the Caroni blades, but you can reach out to Flailmaster to see if they have any blades that would fit your mower. They will be significantly less expensive than OEM. If you can post a picture of what you currently have it would help us help you.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,646  
I don't know anything about the Caroni blades, but you can reach out to Flailmaster to see if they have any blades that would fit your mower. They will be significantly less expensive than OEM. If you can post a picture of what you currently have it would help us help you.
Also try hardhitter.com They carry flails for my Loftness 72 where flailmaster does not so they may have something for you

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,647  
Anyone have a source for a Ironcraft (formally Titan Implement) FL-165 flail? I am in the market for this model but can't locate one to buy at the moment.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,648  
Anyone have a source for a Ironcraft (formally Titan Implement) FL-165 flail? I am in the market for this model but can't locate one to buy at the moment.
I got mine from these folks just north of knoxville. See some on tractor house also
Screenshot_20220824-081830_DuckDuckGo.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,649  
I got mine from these folks just north of knoxville. See some on tractor house alsoView attachment 759530
I called them and like everyone else they don't have one in stock and will be 6-8 weeks out. I appreciate your help anyways!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,650  
I replaced all my Caroni Y blades and hardware recently. I found FlailMaster.com to be excellent to work with and far less expensive at about $2 a blade. Best to call them. I got the bolts and nylock nuts from Fastenal. Tip, cut those bolts off. Probably not salvageable anyway.

Attachments

• 9F7389B2-BBDB-4325-B757-9A50059FEB2C.jpeg
    9F7389B2-BBDB-4325-B757-9A50059FEB2C.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: