Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,321  
Mornin' folks...

I'm off to check out/purchase a Mott tomorrow... It's a 6' finish cut machine.
I'm new to flails, and I generally blame all of you for this, but I kinda had it in my head for years anyway... Should be a nice upgrade from our 4' finish mower... (who buys a 4' mower for behind an 8N? I wonder about my family's sanity at times)

Photos look ok. Doesn't look like it has had a particularly hard life. Paint looks like it should with some wear, and rust patches, and not some rattle can special. It has the long knives that pin on, no shackles. What I can see in the photos don't look too bad.

Other than that, is there anything specific to a Mott that I need to be checking? I don't see a model tag in the photos, but they're overall shots anyway. Where did Mott put their tags? Can't see the back side in the photos unfortunately, so no guess on the roller condition.

This will be running off the back of a MF135. So, it'll cover the tread width barely. Had hoped to find a 7', or hydraulic offset machine, but after a number of months of searching in my price range, this one popped up at a price that doesn't seem right... So I'll go see what there is to see...

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,322  
Mornin' folks...

I'm off to check out/purchase a Mott tomorrow... It's a 6' finish cut machine.
I'm new to flails, and I generally blame all of you for this, but I kinda had it in my head for years anyway... Should be a nice upgrade from our 4' finish mower... (who buys a 4' mower for behind an 8N? I wonder about my family's sanity at times)

Photos look ok. Doesn't look like it has had a particularly hard life. Paint looks like it should with some wear, and rust patches, and not some rattle can special. It has the long knives that pin on, no shackles. What I can see in the photos don't look too bad.

Other than that, is there anything specific to a Mott that I need to be checking? I don't see a model tag in the photos, but they're overall shots anyway. Where did Mott put their tags? Can't see the back side in the photos unfortunately, so no guess on the roller condition.

This will be running off the back of a MF135. So, it'll cover the tread width barely. Had hoped to find a 7', or hydraulic offset machine, but after a number of months of searching in my price range, this one popped up at a price that doesn't seem right... So I'll go see what there is to see...
As long as you want it to cut grass that isn't two feet tall, sounds like a winner. Does it have the scoops or the Y blades? As long as you aren't looking for a golf course cut, you will be happy. So between golf course and hay field should be the sweet spot for a finish flail. Let us know.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,323  
Well... It's hay field that my family decided was a lawn... There's also a lawn component, but not like a nice suburban lawn... Probably 10 or 12 acres of former fields, and 2 or 3 of lawn. The old fields have been cut for the last decade or so with a 4' finish mower behind an 8N. The lawn area with a 42" Walker MC zero turn.
I can't complain too much about the fields, they used to get done once or twice a year, when I was a kid, and the allergens were a nightmare... So much better out there keeping it short.
I'm hoping to knock out most everything with the flail, and just trim with the Walker. Fields will get cut every couple weeks to perhaps a month.
I had to push the field edges back as they were growing in with bramble (not because I want more grass) so there's some heavy briar stalks to deal with. Plan is to just go slow there, and chop it up until the grass takes over again.

Currently has the long y blades that pin directly to the rotor.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,324  
Well... It's hay field that my family decided was a lawn... There's also a lawn component, but not like a nice suburban lawn... Probably 10 or 12 acres of former fields, and 2 or 3 of lawn. The old fields have been cut for the last decade or so with a 4' finish mower behind an 8N. The lawn area with a 42" Walker MC zero turn.
I can't complain too much about the fields, they used to get done once or twice a year, when I was a kid, and the allergens were a nightmare... So much better out there keeping it short.
I'm hoping to knock out most everything with the flail, and just trim with the Walker. Fields will get cut every couple weeks to perhaps a month.
I had to push the field edges back as they were growing in with bramble (not because I want more grass) so there's some heavy briar stalks to deal with. Plan is to just go slow there, and chop it up until the grass takes over again.

Currently has the long y blades that pin directly to the rotor.

There is not a mower available that I am aware of that gives a better cut than the Walker. I have owned and tested many different brands of mowers and Walker always gave a better cut.

The flail mower will give a nice cut and certainly better than a shredder mower. Depending on the quality cut you are getting with the finish mower, the flail may not do a better job.

Please do let us know how the flail works out for you.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,325  
Can't argue about the Walker... We just dropped a new engine in it this season (ouch)... It's a nice machine for sure, and the cut is great. My only beef with it is size really. My father has been retired since the mid 90's, and thinks nothing of spending insane amounts of time mowing. (when I was a kid, I'd spend the whole weekend mowing this place with a 28" wide ride on Bolens Lawn Keeper) The Walker is a GHS, so he collected every blade. Our grass compost piles are significant... My snowbird uncle is also retired, and has been taking care of the mowing for a number of years now, but he's no kid at 78, and I don't know how much longer he's going to want to deal with it. Me, I still have to work... I live and work 100 miles from the property, and I'm in a relationship for 17 years now, that's 165 miles away to the south... So weekends are hectic currently... Getting mowing down to a 1 day affair is going to be important. Likely have to get something like a ditch/bank as well at some point, and stick it on another tractor so I don't have to play around swapping machines. Going to eliminate a lot of the little BS shrubs, and ornamental trees to reduce trimming. Life is complicated, mowing shouldn't be.
Now, if I could just hit the lottery, lots of these issues wouldn't be around anymore....

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,326  
Just remember a ditch bank requires two rear remotes. One to move the flail in and out and another circuit to move the flail up and down. Not sure if you can add two on a Massey 135 I've seen one before but not sure about 2.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,327  
Thanks. The 135 can actually take a valve with 3 spools. I've got a 2 spool on it now, but I haven't figured out if I can do 2 remotes or just the one and the 3 point. Still a bit of research on that, but I believe I can do 2. That said, if I do a ditch/bank, I'd likely get another tractor to do it, and just leave it set up. I'll have to move along one of the 8N's to make space in the barn, but that's just fine with me.

Regarding the flail, it came home with me. I didn't see any beat, or missing knives, though I could miss something with that many... Seller told me the roller is bent somewhere. Said it wasn't bad, but not right. We'll see. For what I paid, I can always make a new roller if I can't just buy it from Flailmaster or such. Also missing the belt cover, but that too isn't a heavy lift to fab. Will hook it up tomorrow and see what I've got.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,328  
Ok... So today I got to check things out.

No model number anywhere that I can find. No manufacturer tag. One older dealer tag, but that doesn't help too much. Obviously old since it doesn't include an area code on their phone number.

Roller is bent. Bearings are gone. It's a threaded, round shaft roller, which according to the Flailmaster catalog, means I have to convert to something else... That's unfortunate, but not horribly shocking I guess.

There's a triangular rib under the housing that either stiffens it, or deflects debris. Center area of it is rotted out. Easy to cut it out, and weld in, but it isn't going to be the first thing I do. Doesn't get it the way of the flails.

The tube that covers the shaft from the gearbox over to the pullies got warm on the gearbox side after running it at idle for a little while. Not quite sure how it's set up in there, but obviously I've got an unhappy bearing of some sort. It looks like I have to pull the whole gearbox off to remove that tube/shaft... That's on tomorrow's list of chores.

Needs a new belt for sure.

When running the rotor at idle, I could tell something wasn't perfectly balanced. There would be an occasional jump that I though was some resonance point, but now I imagine that jump was the belt... The vibration wasn't from the belt. Something is a little off, but it might just be the flails being a little beat up. I didn't see any missing apart from one station all the way on one side. It looks too close to the housing to take knives, but who knows... I didn't count stations and knives... There's a lot... I guess one missing pair could throw it off enough to feel.

PTO shaft was crashed pretty bad at some point. Has a big pinch in the tube, and a matching ding on the mower. Seems a PO used it on a smaller tractor, and had shorter 3 point arms. On the 135, there's no way I could crash the shaft if the mower was anywhere near level, even at full lift. It ran true, and I didn't see vibration there, but it seems awfully short for the 135. I've only got 4 or 5 inches of overlap in the two halves when hooked up. I think I'll want to get a longer unit. A shame really as the ends work very nicely, and the joints are in very nice shape. We have a Ford rotary that we don't use at this point, and I may be able to steal the PTO shaft from that. I probably won't get that lucky, but ya gotta dream a little...

So repairs will be a little pricey... I'm only in $250 on the mower, so I have room to go before I should have just bought a new import...

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,329  
Got everything apart yesterday. I hope that design has been tweaked a bit for new owners, because getting the gearbox and shaft off the mower was a friggin nightmare. I believe I will be opening up the hole where the input spline passes through the body to make reassembly reasonable.

Since I had gone that far, I pulled the rotor as well. No point in fixing everything and then having the rotor bearings go south. Plus I can A) make sure the rotor is straight, and assuming it is, B) do some welding on some of the mounting tabs. Somebody has done some really shitty welding under there over the years.

Have to call Montage today. If I can get a parts breakout this would be a little easier. They're about an hour or so away from me, so if I have to pick up something heavy, at least I can save some shipping.
So...
  • Roller, Roller supports, Conversion parts... If this is crazy expensive, I can make one like was on it, but even that isn't cheap.
  • Rotor bearings
  • Gearbox Bearings
  • Output shaft bearings
  • PTO Shaft
  • Think I'd like a toe guard for the front if I can. When I had it hooked up, that opening sure seemed big looking back from the tractor seat.
  • Knives/Pins/Cotter Pins (if I do everything else, I guess I'll go all the way)
This is all predicated on the rotor being straight, and having good bearing seats. I didn't see any wobble on that, but worth checking. If that's shot, I'll likely cut my losses, and look for something else.
Mott.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,330  
Got everything apart yesterday. I hope that design has been tweaked a bit for new owners, because getting the gearbox and shaft off the mower was a friggin nightmare. I believe I will be opening up the hole where the input spline passes through the body to make reassembly reasonable.

Since I had gone that far, I pulled the rotor as well. No point in fixing everything and then having the rotor bearings go south. Plus I can A) make sure the rotor is straight, and assuming it is, B) do some welding on some of the mounting tabs. Somebody has done some really shitty welding under there over the years.

Have to call Montage today. If I can get a parts breakout this would be a little easier. They're about an hour or so away from me, so if I have to pick up something heavy, at least I can save some shipping.
So...
  • Roller, Roller supports, Conversion parts... If this is crazy expensive, I can make one like was on it, but even that isn't cheap.
  • Rotor bearings
  • Gearbox Bearings
  • Output shaft bearings
  • PTO Shaft
  • Think I'd like a toe guard for the front if I can. When I had it hooked up, that opening sure seemed big looking back from the tractor seat.
  • Knives/Pins/Cotter Pins (if I do everything else, I guess I'll go all the way)
This is all predicated on the rotor being straight, and having good bearing seats. I didn't see any wobble on that, but worth checking. If that's shot, I'll likely cut my losses, and look for something else.

That gearbox mount is the same design on my Alamo SHD88. I'll have to look if that hole is opened up on mine.

I have a little vibration on mine, but it seems to balance out as I get up to operating PTO speed. If you weld on the tabs, make sure it is about the same amount of weld as factory used. Too much or too little weld could cause a vibration. That style of blade is less forgiving if you hit rocks or other hidden objects, but it will leave a very nice cut. The fine cut blades are commonly used for parks and soccer/football/baseball fields. They are also not very good with brush. If you need to wipe out some brush you might be better off using a brush saw to clear the area first.

A toe guard likely won't be necessary. The blades spin the same direction as the tires so you won't be getting things thrown at you in the seat.

The belt is probably a common C-section belt. I believe for my Alamo I use a C53 on it, your belt drive appears to be similar to mine so it may be the same belt.

As for the roller situation, Flailmaster sells (or at least they used to sell) the roller ends so you could make your own roller, just you will need to update the bearings and housings. Do you have a picture of the roller bearing housing and support? I can let you know what you'll need to update. Definitely have Flailmaster quote the parts as they are reasonably priced for their stuff.