Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,761  
I get the raised tire tracks behind both the beat to hell Ford with side slicers & the Peruzzo with hammers.

The Ford sounds like a train wreck or a metal trash can rolling down a hill. That's mostly due to a slightly bent rotor & a hood that is nearly cracked in half. It's still a good backup though. With every penny of the $100 I paid for it & the $400 of parts I've put into it over the past 8+ years for my yard & side gig. Not worth fixing anymore, but good enough to keep as a backup.

The Peruzzo isn't silent or anything, but it's better than the Ford. Not hugely different than a rotary.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,762  
Thanks guys - great advice. Seriously thinking about upgrading to the flail, not only for the cut quality but for the power too. I wish I decided on a flail vs the finish mower when I bought.

In tall grass I have to crawl so slow that I'm barely moving. I have 2 customers that have fields that stay wet in some areas and that gets to be a little precarious. Don't want to stop.

As to the quote above, this is absolutely the truth. The fields I cut are typically maintained once or twice a year, have heavy grass growth and plenty of obstacles / rocks. I cut when the request comes in and schedule allows for dry weather. The hog is rugged enough for the terrain but makes a lousy cut, the finish mower gets beat to heck, but does a much nicer job. Both stir up a cloud of chaff/dust/particulate and since I can't go very fast, it surrounds the tractor. I look like Pigpen.
I've been running a 48" HD flail with hammers on my Yanmar with 23Hp at the pto (just past 1/2 throttle) mostly on brush up to about 2" and it chews the hell out of it laying down a beautiful carpet of mulch in it's wake.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,763  
I've been running a 48" HD flail with hammers on my Yanmar with 23Hp at the pto (just past 1/2 throttle) mostly on brush up to about 2" and it chews the hell out of it laying down a beautiful carpet of mulch in it's wake.
I'm starting to think I should sell my 60" rotary... wonder how much a Land Pride RCR1260 in good condition would go for?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,764  
The best thing to do is find out what a new one costs and then decide if
you want at least 50% of the newest retail price for the same model and
go from there as people will want to bargain with you.

You may decide to just have it as a back up implement as you have already
paid for it.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,765  
Hello moparcar,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the Flail Mower Nations from the great state of Tennessee.
Thank you. Today I will be installing a slip clutch and adjusting it down. Flail works great but with the "bam" of the instant start pto,... just a tad of slip on startup might be nice. I like multiple safeties. Not a one step person with something tied to a trailer. If one will do, I will have three.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,766  
Thank you. Today I will be installing a slip clutch and adjusting it down. Flail works great but with the "bam" of the instant start pto,... just a tad of slip on startup might be nice. I like multiple safeties. Not a one step person with something tied to a trailer. If one will do, I will have three.

It's also a good practice to slow down the engine rpm quite a bit before engaging the PTO clutch.

Less wear & tear....

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,767  
Finally run the Alamo I bought last fall. Runs like a champ. Way it chewed through even the tall stuff I probably could have run bigger in the 494.

Despite being a couple inches higher to start couldn't even tell the difference between where the flail cut and what I cut with the ztr Saturday.

Only real issue I had was finding an old tarp in the high grass. Wrapped so solid and tight had to use the sawzall to get it off.

IMG_20230417_174332_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,768  
Ran the Woodmaxx FM-62 62" flail mower with Y grass knives on my overgrown lawn today. Grasses were 6-9" in length. Ran on my BX2200.

The striping and cut this flail mower does is unbelievable on fresh springtime grass.

Debated on using the MMM or the flail, and I'm glad I used the flail. Otherwise it would've been clumpy and disgusting looking windrows.

PXL_20230513_224925420.jpg
PXL_20230513_224855672.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,769  
I am still dealing with my swamp, but I have mowed twice now.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,770  
Ran the Woodmaxx FM-62 62" flail mower with Y grass knives on my overgrown lawn today. Grasses were 6-9" in length. Ran on my BX2200.

The striping and cut this flail mower does is unbelievable on fresh springtime grass.

Debated on using the MMM or the flail, and I'm glad I used the flail. Otherwise it would've been clumpy and disgusting looking windrows.

View attachment 800367View attachment 800366
I kinda wanna go roll in that like a dog