L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains?

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains?
Is it possible to reposition the rim on the disk to gain more clearance? I'm looking at buying a new to me tractor and the one I looked at today had 17.4L-24 R4's with two piece rims. I was discouraged by the lack of tire chain clearance. This was a smaller L3x40 tractor, but I'm certain your rims are the same style.

The wheels look like the rim can be disassembled from the disk (hub) and repositioned to alter back spacing. The sales person thought it might be possible but never had anyone request it before. They commented they have done this on AG wheels before, but uncertain about the R4's.

Called another dealer and they didn't know either. They suggested using spacers, until they verified Kubota doesn't offer them for the Grand L tractors only the basic L's and B's.

Has anyone tried repositioning the rim/wheel disk?

It would be really nice if this is possible and a zero $ solution if it is possible.

After posting the above, I reread the entire string of responses and noticed post #14 address this. Can you provide details how this is done.

Yes, that's exactly what they are talking about above. In the photo in Post #16, you can see the valve stem. Normal install would have the valve stem on the inside of the wheel, but he's reversed the hub disk, and swapped left to right. It is weird that dealers haven't heard of this, people move the disk to the opposite side of the spacer all the time -- but up until now I hadn't heard of anyone reversing the disk. Good idea.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #22  
Consulted the L3130 owners manual and found a page describing tread adjustment (see attachment). For the 17.5L-24 industrial tires the data suggests an extra 4.4" of tread or 2.2" per side can be obtained by repositioning the hub disk/rim interface. I realize this data is for a 30 series tractor, but the 40 series shouldn't be all that different. Perhaps someone with a Grand L 40 can confirm.

Never paid any attention to this page before because the turf tires couldn't be adjusted.

Fat Tire, Agree it was weird they didn't know anything about it. One of them is consulting Kubota Technical tomorrow to find out.

Note: 4.4" based on 58.7" - 54.3" tread positions.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
   / L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #23  
TripleR beat me to it...and I forgot about it when I was out in the shop earlier - sorry! But he basically showed you what i was going to. If my brain works tomorrow, I will grab a measurement and a pic with the chains on.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #24  
I grew up row crop farming and had to change wheel widths depending on what we were doing, so flipping rims or moving tires from side to side was fairly common. I'm too darned old to do that now, so I had mine done prior to delivery. Fortunately my dealer not only sells tractors, but still run family farms and are a great resource to their customers who are unfamiliar with products and/or operation.

Sadly being met with a blank stare is becoming all too familiar at tractor dealerships when you ask for advice or input.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #25  
Thought I'd share what the dealer sales person relayed from Kubota Technical concerning repositioning 17L-24 R4's.

They claimed the tires/wheels are already at their widest position and can NOT be made wider. I've included a picture, so you can see first hand what they are "claiming" is the widest setting. I didn't say anything, as I believe others on this forum who present solid evidence their rims/hubs are repositioned for greater clearance.

Picture 1: Measurement of tire/inner fender clearance
Picture 2: Orientation of rim and hub disk. You'll have to zoom in to see the hub disk is positioned outside the rim.

Attachments

• Tire Clearance.JPG
    Tire Clearance.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 160
  • Rim-Hub Disk Relationship.JPG
    Rim-Hub Disk Relationship.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 108
Thought I'd share what the dealer sales person relayed from Kubota Technical concerning repositioning 17L-24 R4's.

They claimed the tires/wheels are already at their widest position and can NOT be made wider. I've included a picture, so you can see first hand what they are "claiming" is the widest setting. I didn't say anything, as I believe others on this forum who present solid evidence their rims/hubs are repositioned for greater clearance.

Picture 2: Orientation of rim and hub disk. You'll have to zoom in to see the hub disk is positioned outside the rim.

That 2 (or 2 minus) inches you are showing looks like what the dealer sent me for my L5740. In a perfect world it would be enough, but in my world not quite. Funny, Kubota apparently has no idea about TripleR and dstig1's solution. Should have my 5740 by the end of next week, maybe in time to use during the multi-day storm forecast for the last few days of the month.

Go down to Rounded Fender/Wide Step for a picture of the successor to the L5740 which is the same as my L5030 and L5740: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60/pdf/L60_Features.pdf

!!! I looked at the L6060 and even worked on a trade-in deal for a used one with low hours. They're very nice, the cab is nicer, especially if you don't have all 3 rear remotes. (The third slot for rear remote control is located weirdly behind the other two.) But then after that deal didn't work out I got cold feet because of the hoses outside of the FEL, dangling 3rd function hose, and somewhat the higher cost compared to a low hour 5740. That particular 6060 had an air-ride seat, but this 5740 already has rear defrost and wiper, which I need. Air-ride seat is nice but I don't really "need" it.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #29  

That ain't enough room for a rubber band. What happens if you put the tire on the other side of tractor, I need chains so I'd see how durables spacers are and how much $, should be cheaper then a AG tire set-up.

/ L5740 Cab -- clearance for rear chains? #30  
!!! I looked at the L6060 and even worked on a trade-in deal for a used one with low hours. They're very nice, the cab is nicer, especially if you don't have all 3 rear remotes. (The third slot for rear remote control is located weirdly behind the other two.) But then after that deal didn't work out I got cold feet because of the hoses outside of the FEL, dangling 3rd function hose, and somewhat the higher cost compared to a low hour 5740. That particular 6060 had an air-ride seat, but this 5740 already has rear defrost and wiper, which I need. Air-ride seat is nice but I don't really "need" it.

I agree on the L6060, just pointing out the same wheel setup from at least the L30, L40 into the L60. I traded in a really nice L5030HSTC with new front tires and only a bit over 1400 in for a new L5740 to avoid the "improved" L60 as I mow a lot of brush and didn't like the fuel tank and hose routing especially the third function. I have back problems, so I subsequently installed a Grammar air ride seat. Certainly a good tractor for some, just not me.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/301405-grammar-air-ride-seat-5740-a.html?highlight=

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/302353-brush-guard-cab-tractor.html?highlight=