L2501 with HST

/ L2501 with HST #11  
GgHow does an L2501 work with brakes on same foot as the HST pedal?

I've been looking a Kubota for my next tractor. Have pretty much set my mind on a B2301 but decided to look at the L2501 since it is so popular.

Real deal breaker seems to be the brake pedals on same side as the HST treddle. No way can you use the steering brakes unless you put the HST on "cruise". Just won't work for snow removal or pushing of big pieces with the FEL when the steering won't work, etc.
When I first started using my new Kubota more than 20 years ago I tried to figure out some convenient way to use the split brakes like we did on the old tractors. I remember moving a big round bale for a neighbor across the very muddy, slightly sloping cow lot next to his barn. The R4's weren't doing much good in all the mud and both the bale and the tractor were slowly working their way down the slope toward the fence instead of to the barn. Standing beside the fence, the old gent kept telling me to get on the brake, and I must have looked pretty funny doing some kind of dance on that tractor trying to find a way to do it.

The solution, when it came to me, wasn't some some really fancy footwork. In desperation I straightened the front wheels and punched the diff lock and the tractor began working its way through the mud toward the barn. Even with the slippy R4's , the "3 wheel drive" (1 locked rear axle + 1 open center front axle), gave more forward traction than I had ever been able to gain with the old rear drive + split brakes tractors long ago. We got the bale moved, but I don't think the old fellow ever figured out why I was doing that crazy dance up on the tractor.

I used the tractor for many more years doing many different chores, but the split brakes didn't factor in everyday use and weren't missed. For turning, if you have any kind of weight up front, such as the loader, with or without payload, the front wheels will pull you around a turn better than a brake turn in almost all conditions. And if it's a really sharp turn, the power steering + HST is so easy and quick to operate it makes sharp turns a piece of cake. I found adding a spinner to the steering wheel helps too.

Turning in slippery conditions is probably the one place where the split brakes probably give an advantage. If that's a big part of what you'll be dealing with, that odd Kubota pedal layout will be something to think about when you buy. For me, and I'd guess for most owners, it's mostly a non-issue.

/ L2501 with HST #12  
How does an L2501 work with brakes on same foot as the HST pedal?

I've been looking a Kubota for my next tractor. Have pretty much set my mind on a B2301 but decided to look at the L2501 since it is so popular.

Real deal breaker seems to be the brake pedals on same side as the HST treddle. No way can you use the steering brakes unless you put the HST on "cruise". Just won't work for snow removal or pushing of big pieces with the FEL when the steering won't work, etc.

I don't know how you would use those steering brakes. Hopefully you won't have to do much of that with the HST. Our M59 has the same thing with brakes and F/R pedal on the same side. Being a largish tractor with a flat floor it has enough room to make it work....uh, sort of work... well, if you stand up and lean to one side while holding onto the front canopy support it you can make it work..... kind of...

Come to think of it, far and away the most complaints about Kubotas that I've heard in the last 15 years are all about the placement of the controls. Feet, seat, and levers are all uniformly poorly designed and poorly placed. Isn't that odd?

One of the world's most popular tractors and they still can't get that part right.
If it wasn't for the way the operator controls are laid out there there wouldn't be much to say against Kubotas. Maybe that's why they do it?
rScotty

/ L2501 with HST #13  
I had a L3200hst... Basically exactly the same as a L2501. To work turning brakes, you had to ride side saddle in the seat with both feet on one side. Not ideal, but not the end of the world. I used them occasionally but not a whole lot. I didn't have cruise control, even if I did I wouldn't have used it. If I need to turn tight it means precision & I don't want cruise on for that.

My new L4060hstc has brakes on the left separate from the HST. I like it better but don't end up using turning brakes that much more.

/ L2501 with HST #14  
Kinda side saddle and left foot braking is what I do on my MX.

Up until recently Kubota was still using a clutch pedal on HST models....

Now that they have gone away from that, I'd expect to maybe see some left side brakes.

/ L2501 with HST #15  

Now that they have gone away from that, I'd expect to maybe see some left side brakes.
Yes, as I pointed out, the new L02 series that is being released in the new year has left side brakes and electric PTO clutch engagement.
The B01 and B50/LX series already had gone to left side brakes and no ore clutch pedal.

/ L2501 with HST
The B2301/2601 models have left side brakes. The PTO clutch is like a selector to the left side of the seat.

/ L2501 with HST #17  
I tried the side saddle method on my B, and it has way more room on the platform than an L01, but I found it was easier to just band over and use my hand on the brake pedal.

/ L2501 with HST #18  
My B2150 HST has wheel brakes. I would not want a tractor without wheel brakes. I guess the small ones mainly for yard work are an exception. In the days before the rear axle locks wheel brakes were how you stopped one from spinning on the slick side. If you do farming or cleaning up an old farm involving steep ground you will at times very much appreciate wheel brakes. On the smaller Kubotas (like my BX2200) the brakes are a worthless joke to start with so wheel brakes would be a waste on them.

/ L2501 with HST #19  

Economy Ls still have a clutch on all models for the 00 & 01 series. 60 series Grand Ls don't have a clutch pedal on the HST machines at all.

/ L2501 with HST #20  
Economy Ls still have a clutch on all models for the 00 & 01 series. 60 series Grand Ls don't have a clutch pedal on the HST machines at all.
The L4701 has never had a clutch pedal and has LH brake pedals.