Kioti oil filter problem

/ Kioti oil filter problem #1  

dxturner

Tractor
None
Doing the 50 hour service on my DK4210HST and can't believe how difficult it was to get the filter off. Not only was it hard to get a wrench on with any room to turn, it was so tight I thought maybe I just wasn't strong enough!

Finally, I got desperate and used an old trick my Dad used when he didn't have a filter wrench. I drove a screwdriver through it. That worked and I learned I was strong enough at least to bend the screwdriver! ... see photo.

Are they that tight from factory or was it dealer prep?

20230509_103943.jpg

/ Kioti oil filter problem #2  
Factory.

/ Kioti oil filter problem #3  
I always thought that was a silly trick. If it doesn't work you are stuck, can't move the tractor. I think every manufacturer has gorilla's on the assembly line putting filters on.

/ Kioti oil filter problem #4  
I guess you switched to a more robust screwdriver after the bending incident.

/ Kioti oil filter problem #5  
Yep. My theory is they aren't lubing the gasket. New filter screwed on to dry threads and a dry surface as it is assembled.

/ Kioti oil filter problem #6  
Just wait till you get to the hydraulic and HST ones. That's where it gets really fun really fast. :)

As dusty said, it's just because the put (read: over tighten) the filters on without lubing the seal. Contrary to popular belief, it's not because they painted of the filters.

/ Kioti oil filter problem #7  
Yep. My theory is they aren't lubing the gasket. New filter screwed on to dry threads and a dry surface as it is assembled.
exactly my thoughts when both hyd filters were extremely difficult to remove @ 50 hrs. my take is that the factory wants no chance of accidental filter disengagement. glad no one was around for my choice words...

/ Kioti oil filter problem #8  
   / Kioti oil filter problem #9  
Those strap wrenches are good (if you have the room beside the filter can). Then I moved on to a tri-claw, as in the photo below; but for my Yamaha ATV where space is really tight, I bought a cup type - brilliant!

filter removers.jpg

/ Kioti oil filter problem #10  
my experience w/cup type wrenches is that they just spin before proper torque is applied to either tighten or loosen filter. at least on my rigs, but yes, handy.