Kioti Broken in Half

/ Kioti Broken in Half #231  
No one has any clue how a modern tractor is designed, to what specifications, to what safety margin or even tested.

I'm only a 30 year tractor/loader/excavator owner, so I can always learn more, what can you offer?

I enjoy learning about structural testing and safety margins, I test and certify airplane designs for a living....

/ Kioti Broken in Half #232  
"It has really well thoughout controls, all work is done one hand on the wheel, the other on the loader control, with forward and reverse there, and a gas pedal. Totally simple."

The modern wheel loaders are doing away with the steering wheel making operating even simpler.

/ Kioti Broken in Half #233  
Caterpillar got rid of steering wheels in the early 2000's.

/ Kioti Broken in Half #234  
I'm only a 30 year tractor/loader/excavator owner, so I can always learn more, what can you offer?

I enjoy learning about structural testing and safety margins, I test and certify airplane designs for a living....

Speaking of: after learning from my racing days I'll never trust anything structural made of carbon fiber again. Looks good, looks good, looks good, *bang* catastrophic failure! ground, sky, ground, sky, ground, sky!

/ Kioti Broken in Half #235  
"It has really well thoughout controls, all work is done one hand on the wheel, the other on the loader control, with forward and reverse there, and a gas pedal. Totally simple."

The modern wheel loaders are doing away with the steering wheel making operating even simpler.

Joystick controls are great. I’m honestly surprised nobody has put them in a vehicle especially for partly disabled people.

/ Kioti Broken in Half #236  
Joystick controls are great. I’m honestly surprised nobody has put them in a vehicle especially for partly disabled people.

I can think of two potential reasons.

1) All disabilities are not the same, a joystick may help some, but not all disabled persons. This first reason isn't reason enough to not make joystick controls available since many vehicles are now fly-by-wire.

2) Unlike an aircraft, if a person were to panic saw one way or another on a joystick, this may pitch the vehicle into a slide or a spin. Software could govern this but at some point is there enough demand for the R and D needed to offer the option? I dunno.

Meanwhile, my right hand knows what it is doing, but my left hand is still figuring these new, crazy hand-controls out and my left and right feet feel left out. Smile.

/ Kioti Broken in Half #237  
Can you say "Beatnik Bandit"?

"The Bandit does not have a traditional steering wheel or floor pedals. Steering, throttle, transmission, and braking are all controlled by a chrome-plated joystick mounted on the center tunnel."

"Steering, gas, shifting and gears on the car were operated using a chromed center stick."

/ Kioti Broken in Half #238  

My point exactly. I have been driving cars for over 40 years. Does that make me an expert on automotive design?

/ Kioti Broken in Half #239  
Does that make me an expert on automotive design?

Maybe, I don't know. It just sounds from your reply that you think no one who is posting has experience with tractors, and structural design, yet you don't know who's posting.... A tractor was broken, I don't know what caused that tractor so be damaged, nor its design and limitations....

/ Kioti Broken in Half #240  
It is not uncommon these days. My neighbor cracked a new 75HP New Holland in half while mowing. He hit a ditch at a nice clip and cracked it just like the picture here. he is very hard on equipment. Smaller tractors have become less structurally sound due to price competitiveness. New Holland, Deere, Kubota etc. have had to cheapen their products over the past twenty years to compete with cheap brands.
Interestingly, I think its just the reverse. Those "cheap brands" have been increasing overall tractor quality, transmissionsand hydraulics to compete with JD and Kubota. And the tractor industry and consumers are better off because of this healthy competition.