KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible?

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I just picked up a new KingKutter 2 60" tiller. Got it home, realized we hadn't loaded up the PTO shaft, went back got the shaft. Got home, unloaded the tiller threw on the quick hitch bushings & went to hitch it up. After a couple failed attempts to grab it with the quick hitch I got to looking. The lower right hook barely caught, but was rubbing the frame & the lower left hook was too thick to fit between the pin & frame on the tiller. Not sure if it's my quick hitch that's a little lopsided on the hooks or the tiller that's tweaked, but I suspect it might be the tiller.

So here I sit a bit grumpy & wondering what to do. I've been trolling Craigslist for a while & no other 60"+ tillers have shown up. I was hoping to get the field tilled here ASAP to get some grass planted before May so bit the bullet & grabbed a new one.

No other KingKutter's or County Line (rebranded King Kutter's on sale for $200 less at the moment) are actually in stock locally. A 66" Land Pride is going to run me about $500 more.

I was planning on taking it back, but just had a thought. Any issues with just running it without the lower bushings?

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #2  
Just a thought, why not just drop the quick hitch and hook direct to 3ph. You won't have to pay any more or take anything back.

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #3  
As I understand it, if it will hook up it will be okay to run with it. The bushings just take some of the slop out of the connection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, your QH may not be level or squared away for a good fit.

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible?
I could drop the quick hitch, but what's the point of having a quick hitch if you have to take it off all the time?

Same for buying a new piece of equipment, you'd expect it to comply with the current standards. I have a TnT kit & fiddled around with the tilt a bit, but no luck. I might give it a shot tomorrow without the bushings & see how it goes.

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #5  
I just went through the same issues with my 72" KK tiller. Last year I ran it without the bushings and it did okay most of the time, really hard ground made it bounce a little. This year, I made a little clearance by removing a section of the square tubing right behind the hitch pins.

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #6  
You may need to shorten the PTO shaft if you drop the QH & hitch it direct to the 3PT.
Will you be using the tiller a lot - attaching it and dropping it to use another implement frequently?
If not, I'd just cut the shaft and hitch it direct; if yes, I'd try to get my money back and find a QH compatible tiller.
Ask whoever you got it from if they can get the KKII Professional tiller, which is QH compatible, and do a swap for the old one and some $:
https://www.kingkutter.com/store-product.aspx?id=3444

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #7  
There is an industry standard for Cat0, Cat1, Cat2, Cat3, Cat4 and probably Imatch. Here are some threads that mentions the standard. Since the Cat specs expect slop in arms I would guess some manufacturers do not tightly adhere to the standard. My fertilizer spreader and my finish mower are spaced different than my other equipment I adapted to Imatch.

3-Point Hitch Standard Dimensions - Yesterday's Tractors
Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined -- Tractor Implements -- Page 1
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/65524-category-1-3pt-hitch-specifications-2.html

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #8  
can you just grind a little off the quick hitch hooks to gain clearance?

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #9  
I just bought a 7 foot KK. My understanding is that it is quick hitch cat. 2 compatible. I was not planning on uncrating it until June but I may try it sooner to be sure.

/ KingKutter tiller not quick hitch compatible? #10  
I got the 6' county line from TSC. it was almost QG compatible. Pisses me off. All new equipment should be QH ready.

You could see if they could order county line.

Did you get the shipping frame? It it a tubular frame allowing stacking on the truck. If you add wheels and make the front verticals into pins it makes a handy roll around storage rack. Photos show before the wheels were weld on.

Attachments

• image-1647449360.jpg
    image-1647449360.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 253
  • image-3074033175.jpg
    image-3074033175.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 223