Kentucky Weather AGAIN !!

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Was in the 60'sF yesterday and I was out in the yard in a T-shirt. Actually had small leaf blower out for a while. Was 57F at 10PM last night. Woke up to 19-degrees and an inch of ice on everything with a fine WET sleet falling. Now we have more than 6 inches of snow on top of a couple inches of ice. And it is still coming down. At least that is what I can measure at the middle of the driveway. Snow I can take. The freezing rain and ice I do not like.

Welcome to Kentucky!

RSKY

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #2  
Its 59 here and raining . going to drop tomorrow, ice and a little snow expected

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #3  
The heck with going all the way out to the driveway if you have a couple inches of ice with wet slop on top. Good way to slip, fall and break something. I have a vertical steel ruler mounted on the bench on the front porch. Its a foot long - if the snow gets to the top of the ruler - its time to go out and plow the driveway.

Last couple of days here have been a bloody mess. Thirty three or thirty four at night and up to thirty eight in the afternoon... And its been snowing/raining/grapple for the last seventy two hours. Outside its like walking around in half cooked oatmeal.

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #4  
That's nothing, it was 63 degrees here today with 2 inches of rain and it will be -10 tomorrow night with 12 plus inches of snow coming............

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #5  
Ok Clint, thank you very much for making us all feel better about our climate or at least many of us. :thumbsup:

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #6  
That is some nasty weather. We have warmed up from -25 to -2 and it feels absolutely balmy. I keep a tote of coarse sand available for driveway ice and if it's to slippery I wear ice-grippers on my boots. Great thing about being retired is that I can wait out a storm. I don't have to go or be anywhere. Be safe-Be careful

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #7  
Was in the 60'sF yesterday and I was out in the yard in a T-shirt. Actually had small leaf blower out for a while. Was 57F at 10PM last night. Woke up to 19-degrees and an inch of ice on everything with a fine WET sleet falling. Now we have more than 6 inches of snow on top of a couple inches of ice. And it is still coming down. At least that is what I can measure at the middle of the driveway. Snow I can take. The freezing rain and ice I do not like.

Welcome to Kentucky!

RSKY

We are located 3 miles north of TN/KY border between Mayfield KY and Paris TN and we got the same mess. Snow finally stopped at 5 pm. By 11 am I had the sleet off of the cars. First thing I got the 2010 Subaru Forester cleaned off because we thought the daughter was going to need to go into work but that changed. Still had to get out in the Forester and play in its first ice storm. This is the first vehicle with four pulling wheels I have owned. It is AWESOME anytime but super awesome in this mess. Not even messing with the tractor and grader blade this year I expect. :)

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #8  
Same here. I'm glad for the wet layer of snow, otherwise I would had had one **** of an ice rink!

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #9  
We are located 3 miles north of TN/KY border between Mayfield KY and Paris TN and we got the same mess. Snow finally stopped at 5 pm. By 11 am I had the sleet off of the cars. First thing I got the 2010 Subaru Forester cleaned off because we thought the daughter was going to need to go into work but that changed. Still had to get out in the Forester and play in its first ice storm. This is the first vehicle with four pulling wheels I have owned. It is AWESOME anytime but super awesome in this mess. Not even messing with the tractor and grader blade this year I expect. :)

I had a 2012 Suburu Forester and drove it to Chicago on one of the worst winter days i have driven in. It was amazing; I was passing everyone and did not feel like I was ever at risk of fishtailing. It had oil consumption issues (the ones that caused the class action suit) so I got rid of it.

/ Kentucky Weather AGAIN !! #10  
I had a 2012 Suburu Forester and drove it to Chicago on one of the worst winter days i have driven in. It was amazing; I was passing everyone and did not feel like I was ever at risk of fishtailing. It had oil consumption issues (the ones that caused the class action suit) so I got rid of it.

Sorry about your 2012 but I read they did replace several short blocks. My 2010 was the last year of EJ engine that had been around since 1989 so I guess I got lucky. It had 105K miles on it and the shop had just replaced the head gaskets and out as well as a new water pump and timing belt (to be changed at 105K miles). If I get a 2011 or newer I will make sure it has the replaced updated short block.

Normally in west KY we have little to no winter driving issues but I expect I will stick with Subaru or something similar going forward. I am surprised how well I like the AWD have never even owned a 4WD. Turning 67 with a lot of arthritis damage I am thinking more about safety and not getting stuck these days. :)

Hopefully they will plow the roads before we have to get out tomorrow afternoon but I think we will be OK dealing with this KY freezing rain, sleet and snow storm aftermath. Thankfully the power grid did not get wrecked like in 2009. Luckily we are on a three phase part of the grid in the middle of nowhere so they get it up first. In 2009 we were out for 66 hours but others in the sticks were out for about a month.