Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #21  
Tom/TX ...Wow! You're getting hammered there. I bought two 40's for my shop (zoned Industrial) both came from a broker in Norfolk VA .. which is about 2hrs from me .. <$2k delivered. It's probably classic supply/demand issue. There should be a ton of them near any port. I'd bet 20's are more expensive/more popular.

I'm going to take an 18' Box truck body home to stow my JD 1070 (zoned Agricultural - you can do almost anything.) ..but hide it within a saltbox facade.

Jim

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #22  
First post. I've been reading for a while and enjoy the site.

Where are you finding $2000 to $3000 containers? I am after a 40 foot hi-top, one trip container. Best price I have found so far is about $5500. I am in Smithville Texas and looking primarily in Houston and San Antonio.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Tom,

I got mine from Falcon Containers in Austin:

Repurposed Shipping Containers & Conex Boxes : Falcon Containers

Mine had been used as a rental unit and had been at a carpet warehouse. I think I paid $2300 or $2800 two years ago. It has some dents and scratches, but is serviceable.

I think they quoted me around $3500 for a new or one time used at the time.

Good luck

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #23  
Thanks for all your advice. So far the best quote for a 20 is $2800CAD delivered.
The problem which I've got now is the by-law from our municipality. Here in Grey County Ontario the municipality is quite "picky" on containers on property. The containers are not allowed on property only if the doors locks are removed or the doors can be open from inside, so the idea is: nobody can be traped inside. Any idea how to comply with this, I hate all this these ridiculous regulations :mad:.
Thx

I am envious cause they do make great instant sheds. Iwould like to set one in against a bank but also have local headaches to deal with beside the better half wanting me to make it look pretty since it would be seen as you to come up to the house. As far as the door these things seem to be pretty heavy duty, just weld a steel frame in to the side and hang your door or 2 on the side, same as windows if you want light. As far as prices go you need to be on the look out. Some one near me just offered 2 20' @ $500 each, but CAC. Didn't think my rack would handle 1 so had to pass.

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #24  
   / Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #25  
I had a 40 ft delivered for $3500 a few months ago. Delivery was 210 miles though. I had several inches of gravel ready and then used RR ties also. I would like to put a turbine vent in the top. What do I need to do to get through that thick roof? Drill first and then sawsall?

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #26  
A regular steel door cut into it with a regular door knob is a great ideal!!! I just wonder if one of the doors could be the location for this new door, or would cutting that big a hole weaken the existing door.
David from jax
Just so happens I am currently sitting inside a Conex with a regular door that is indeed cut into one of the main doors. Be happy to send you some pictures if you want them. We actually have 7 or 8 of these units on my rig, several of them like the one I am in are actually offices. Some are for storage and we even have one that is our paint locker. Really the possibilities of these things are endless.

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #27  
I just had a 40 foot hi-top delivered last Saturday. It cost a little over $4K and included a extra covered lock in the middle of the door. I used 16x16x5 concrete blocks on each corner.

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #28  
I have a 20ft container for over a year now. My tractor, ATV and a lot of other tools are stored in there including gas and diesel.

091115-beetle105.jpg

I got mine delivered for $2000 and had it placed on railroad ties to keep it off the ground.

Since the photo was taken I added more shelving to the right side. Simple 2x4's wedged to the top - very stable. Also, the container has tie down rings in the top that allow you to secure a horizontal 2x4 to nail & hang hand tools.

Make sure you talk to your supplier, be flexible in your delivery and they will work with you to get a good one. Typically they do not have the ability to show you the one you will get so you have to trust them on this. I was lucky with mine.

I have been now through a winter and a real hot summer with it (Houston...) and I have experienced no problems. In the summer I typically open the doors and let it vent for 5 minutes before I attempt to start the tractor.
Thanks for this image. I can ask the DW now to go from a crappy shelter logic to a 20x8x9 sea container for a mere $1,500 in my area. The sea container is $100 less than a Shelter Logic tent like shed that blows around and rips.

In my area 200sqft and under requires NO permits. Just keep it away from the property line 15ft. No problems there either. Air tight, leak proof and extremely mice resistant.

I'll add a service door and an RV crank open sky light with vent too.

BTW, do you have side images to share. I know these containers come in 9 common colors.

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #29  
I have a 40 ft "Big Steel Box" - great for storage. General storage right now.

A 20 ft Box (sea can) is easier and cheaper to transport, and may be useful if it is only for a tractor etc. If you got a High Cube Container, there is an extra Foot of height, and folding the ROPS down may not be necessary.

short term plan, 1 yr - I plan on adding a 20 ft Container to the yard, parallel to the 40 ft, with the doors on the same end. Keeping the Containers 18 ft apart or so. (there is not enough space in that part of the property for two 40 ftrs) Then a roof between them from the outer edges, and a back wall. By going to the outer width edges of the Containers, the Arch roof would be about 36 feet across. Then the flat ROOFs of the Containers would be within / under the Arch Roof, and display storage of old equipment, mowers etc would be possible, saving space at ground level. Locking gate on the front end. This 20 ft Container will be used for storage of vehicle parts, classic car parts, and related tools etc.

I am considering a 20 ft Container with DOORS along the one entire side, as well as on the end. This would be great for storage of, and attaching, detaching the tractor implements. That way the mower, the box blade, the grapple, the auger, the backhoe, forklift, would all be beside each other (easy access to individual items) rather than in front of each other.

The covered space between the Containers would provide for an 18 wide X 20 long garage, sufficient for working in, perhaps with a hoist inside, it would also keep 2 vehicles covered and out of sight (2 El Caminos, and perhaps the tractor...) as additional vehicle storage.

longer term plan, 3 yrs - Container is a cheaper priority than the 30 X 40 ft animal Barn that is planned for another portion of the acreage. The Barn is a longer term plan.

Still saving and planning for this, but it is starting to come together.