Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container
Thanks for all your advice. So far the best quote for a 20 is $2800CAD delivered.
The problem which I've got now is the by-law from our municipality. Here in Grey County Ontario the municipality is quite "picky" on containers on property. The containers are not allowed on property only if the doors locks are removed or the doors can be open from inside, so the idea is: nobody can be traped inside. Any idea how to comply with this, I hate all this these ridiculous regulations :mad:.
Thx

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #13  
A regular steel door cut into it with a regular door knob is a great ideal!!! I just wonder if one of the doors could be the location for this new door, or would cutting that big a hole weaken the existing door.
David from jax

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #14  
cut a hole in the top and put an opening skylight big enough to get thru. Then you have light, ventilation, and an escape route when someone messes with you.
Rick

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #15  
I decided to try one of these army surplus maintenance tents for storing my equipment. I'm not worried about security, just want to keep my stuff under cover. I'm going to clear an out of site spot down to the bedrock and fill in the low spots with crusher run. Mtn. Gear Surplus Sales
Purty, ain't they?

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #16  
A regular steel door cut into it with a regular door knob is a great ideal!!! I just wonder if one of the doors could be the location for this new door, or would cutting that big a hole weaken the existing door.
David from jax

Around here many oft he companies that sell or do "rent to own" will install a door as an option--of course that adds to the $$$$

I have a 40ft one we use for hay storage. It works great, except for the creatures that move in underneath and the condensation...opening the doors helps with the condensation. Since you are looking for a secure area, I would definitely have some additional ventilation openings installed, even a couple of the roof turbines for attics.

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #17  
I have a high cube 48 foot container that I used to store a Case 1410, the tractor with FEL and 6 foot shedder was 27 feet long so depending on your equipment you might want to get something bigger if you have the room.

I had both wind turbines and vents in the sides added when I bought mine and I would stay away from the wind turbines since water gets in and has rotted the floor directly under both vents. If I felt that roof vents are a must have I would install solar vents instead that would better stop the rain getting in.

Another thought on security, I thought I secured the container well by adding a lock box and using case hardened locks, since the locks were hard to defeat they came with a torch and cut all the hasps and lock box off the container. As others here have said if they want in and have the time they'll get in.

Just some things to think about.
DanK

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #18  
First post. I've been reading for a while and enjoy the site.

Where are you finding $2000 to $3000 containers? I am after a 40 foot hi-top, one trip container. Best price I have found so far is about $5500. I am in Smithville Texas and looking primarily in Houston and San Antonio.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #19  
Will have to look up the name, but there is a place just south of downtown Dallas, near a big salvage yard, that had good prices and a lot of inventory last year.

/ Keeping a tractor into a ISO shipping container #20  
if you set any container on railroad ties to keep it off the ground, make sure you set the ties on approx 6'' of gravel. Ties set directly on the ground will rot within a few years. I discovered this the hard way.