Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years?

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #141  
New truck prices are insane! I have a 2002 F250 7.3 with 114k miles. I drove a company car for many years.
I retired at 61 and bought a new Range in December of 2020 to use for craft shows as it is much easier to park in these small spaces at craft shows than my F250.
The F250 is still used to hauling the tractor and farm related activities. I plan to keep it forever, even though everyone who come to visit tries to buy it. My response is, if I sell you my truck I’ll have to buy another one, have you seen the prices of new F250’s and F350’s😂

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #142  
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie purchased new after discounts for $56k . Originally thought I would trade it in before it hit 100k miles. I tested the waters at 75k miles and the dealers were not even close to what I would consider an acceptable trade difference. Currently at 279k miles. The first 270k were trouble free and I tow heavy and a lot. This has been a great truck. At 272k egr started leaking and did a full delete. Just replaced turbo last week. I know transmission and injectors could be next at anytime but I just can't get myself to go out and repurchase this truck for $80k plus.
20230419_155617.jpg

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #143  
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie purchased new after discounts for $56k . Originally thought I would trade it in before it hit 100k miles. I tested the waters at 75k miles and the dealers were not even close to what I would consider an acceptable trade difference. Currently at 279k miles. The first 270k were trouble free and I tow heavy and a lot. This has been a great truck. At 272k egr started leaking and did a full delete. Just replaced turbo last week. I know transmission and injectors could be next at anytime but I just can't get myself to go out and repurchase this truck for $80k plus.
View attachment 797480

Do they still offer a Mega Cab with short bed dually? That's a really neat setup, and certainly uncommon.

That back seat must be a sofa.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #144  
View attachment 797480
Your truck today would probably be in the low 90’s.

The only good thing is it would have Rams excellent warranty and you probably wouldn’t have to repair anything for 5 years, but $1,000+/month payments wouldn’t be fun.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #145  
Do they still offer a Mega Cab with short bed dually? That's a really neat setup, and certainly uncommon.

That back seat must be a sofa.
They do. Would be my first choice if buying again. If I were in construction and moving lumber I would probably want the long box but I'm usually towing and if it doesn't fit in the bed most likely I'm pulling a trailer. Rear seats actually recline and in the upright position there is room to stow items behind them. They also fold completely flat to the floor leaving a huge cargo area. Our boat is too heavy for the wife's durango so we take the truck when going on lake trips and it's really comfortable even for 5 of us. The extra room for family trips alone is worth the short box inconvenience once in awhile.

Last edited:
   / Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #146  
Your truck today would probably be in the low 90’s.

The only good thing is it would have Rams excellent warranty and you probably wouldn’t have to repair anything for 5 years, but $1,000+/month payments wouldn’t be fun.
Just built one out of curiosity. $93,300 keeping it as close to mine as possible and skipping the new stuff I would like to add such as self leveling air bags, bed camera, safety group with adaptive cruise etc. Add all that in and it jumps to $98,000.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #147  
New truck prices are insane! I have a 2002 F250 7.3 with 114k miles.

Any idea what a low mileage, 7.3 of that era is worth? Mine's a 1999 F250 7.3 with (not a typo) 24,000 miles.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #148  
Rust free and immaculate, probably north of $30k.

That's not Kelly Blue Book, but probably what the old school 7.3 die-hards would pay.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #149  

That's not Kelly Blue Book, but probably what the old school 7.3 die-hards would pay.

Yeah, there is a market out there for them that is far above any book value.

Hop on a Ford truck forum and try to get an idea for what the folks there would pay.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #150  

Thanks. Hope you guys are right- MSRP was $35,600 when I ordered it:

Attachments

• 1923E270-4925-4917-8560-66CD74191579.jpeg
    1923E270-4925-4917-8560-66CD74191579.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57