Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years?

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #163  
Im currently installing a Cummins 5.9 24V with a VE pump into my 2008 F250 that had a blown up 6.4. My plan is to rebuild the front axle and steering once I get the engine swap finished and then do a whole lot of sheet metal repair (rockers, cab corners, door bottoms, bed sides etc... That should last me a while, at least until I have made my move south to TN. Then my plan is to find one of the 50s Chevrolet trucks and put the F250 running gear under that. Probably simplify it to RWD only because Im not sure I would need the 4wd.

The engine block, head, crank and cam have been in machine shop jail for nearly a year and it sounds like I will be picking it up on Friday. Yippee ! All that was needed was to bore the block 20 over and a cylinder head rebuild with new guides. I have most of what I need in parts, just things like fasteners, cam followers and some other odds and ends to deal with.

Looking at the budget:
$1500 for donor engine
$500 for VE injection pump
$2671 for block and cylinder head rebuild
$1000 new pistons, rings, pins, main and big end bearings, gasket set, valve seals
$656 New low stall torque converter to suit Cummins speed range
$2157 Destroked Cummins 5.9 to 5R110 conversion kit. Adapter plate, flex plate, engine mounts, starter, lower hose kit
Total $8484.00
Less sale of 6,4 core engine -$3500
Balance $4984.00

Thats something like 4 or 5 payments on one of those new trucks and spread out over 1 year....

I should add that the Navistar engine crapped itself at 117k miles so its actually a low mileage truck for the year.

Last edited:
   / Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #164  
   / Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #165  
Im currently installing a Cummins 5.9 24V with a VE pump into my 2008 F250 that had a blown up 6.4. My plan is to rebuild the front axle and steering once I get the engine swap finished and then do a whole lot of sheet metal repair (rockers, cab corners, door bottoms, bed sides etc... That should last me a while, at least until I have made my move south to TN. Then my plan is to find one of the 50s Chevrolet trucks and put the F250 running gear under that. Probably simplify it to RWD only because Im not sure I would need the 4wd.

The engine block, head, crank and cam have been in machine shop jail for nearly a year and it sounds like I will be picking it up on Friday. Yippee ! All that was needed was to bore the block 20 over and a cylinder head rebuild with new guides. I have most of what I need in parts, just things like fasteners, cam followers and some other odds and ends to deal with.

Looking at the budget:
$1500 for donor engine
$500 for VE injection pump
$2671 for block and cylinder head rebuild
$1000 new pistons, rings, pins, main and big end bearings, gasket set, valve seals
$656 New low stall torque converter to suit Cummins speed range
$2157 Destroked Cummins 5.9 to 5R110 conversion kit. Adapter plate, flex plate, engine mounts, starter, lower hose kit
Total $8484.00
Less sale of 6,4 core engine -$3500
Balance $4984.00

Thats something like 4 or 5 payments on one of those new trucks and spread out over 1 year....

I should add that the Navistar engine crapped itself at 117k miles so its actually a low mileage truck for the year.
Interesting project. I had 3 (yes 3!) 6.4L Fords at the same time. Another colossal Ford error. I was able to eke out 175,000 miles out of one. The other 2 started having problems at 125K. Nice trucks, crap engines.
You should start a thread on the Cummins conversion! I know the Fordies love it when they see the 6/6.4 being pulled for a Cummins!