Just got a 630

/ Just got a 630 #11  
I would probably have to buy a mule and wood plow to match my vintage. :giggle: But my '56 420C has served me well. But I think I'll finally be putting steering clutches in it. And it needs a little under carriage work. It was set up as a pipe layer with a boom. That boom and cable winches have come in handy many times around the place. It pulled my Ford 3910 out of the mud a few times. (y)

/ Just got a 630
I found a broken gear on the brake shaft today, I can get a used one on line for $160. The seals are leaking is why I tore it apart. A new one from Yesterdays is $187 but I inquired as to where it's made and was told "we dont have a country of origin" so I'm guessing china and I will get the used one.
I'm pretty sure I do have the auto fuel valve, I think I read oil pressure opens it. As to the shifter cover
it looks like it is holding the dash up, but I haven't gotten that far along yet.

David 2021-11-11.jpg

/ Just got a 630 #13  
Your automatic fuel valve is built into the sediment filter setup. You ought to take a look just to make sure it is working right.
The way they work is a rubber diaphram operated by oil pressure allows gasoline to flow. Pretty foolproof becaise that way we didn't have to remember to turn off the gas when shutting down the tractor.

Our original one lasted 40 years until gasoline with alcohol came out. That ruined the rubber diaphram overnight.
A decade or two agoJD changed the diaphram material so that they are now alcohol resistant, but you have to change the old ones out or your sediment filter will leak gas into the carb and sometimes I've heard it can go down the oil line to the sump.

What some of us did was just went back to the old style sediment filter with a petcock built into the side and turned the gasoline on & off manually. Or doubled up the diaphrams.

Easy to fix, and way less money than a brake shaft gear.
rScotty