Joining the Big Show

/ Joining the Big Show #11  
i am all in on used machines, especially excavators since the engine really doesn't have to work too hard. My suggestion is add a hyd cylinder to that thumb and make it a thousand percent more useful. The only thing i ever have issues with on my older machines is hoses. no need to replace all at once but assess the worst and do a little at a time.

/ Joining the Big Show
i am all in on used machines, especially excavators since the engine really doesn't have to work too hard. My suggestion is add a hyd cylinder to that thumb and make it a thousand percent more useful. The only thing i ever have issues with on my older machines is hoses. no need to replace all at once but assess the worst and do a little at a time.
I would like that. In time. Everything on this thing is Expensive!! Probably next year.

/ Joining the Big Show #13  
For those of us dreamers could you document your approximate costs for repair please.
I know what a cylinder repair for my M4700 cost, and what hydro hoses cost but can't imagine what a track or track repair cost. And occasionally those machines pop up for sale in my rural area of Mississippi.

/ Joining the Big Show
For those of us dreamers could you document your approximate costs for repair please.
I know what a cylinder repair for my M4700 cost, and what hydro hoses cost but can't imagine what a track or track repair cost. And occasionally those machines pop up for sale in my rural area of Mississippi.
As of right now I have around $ 4,000 in it. This includes:

$ 1400 Rotary Valve Assembly Rebuild (mechanic, rebuild and hydraulic fluid, including new hydraulic filters)
$ 1800 New Exhaust System including mechanic to install.
$ 150 Oil Change done by myself
$ 200 Air filter, Anti-Freeze and other small maintenance items so far
$ 3,350 TOTAL so far

The 2 track tensioners will total $ 3,000 and probably 1500 for the mechanic to remove tracks and pull out old tensioner and put new one in. So about $ 4,500 total for that. I am just going to keep running as is until I get to this. So far, it moves just fine. Tracks are just froze up in places.

$ 8,050.00 will have me pretty much good to go for a long time.

Have not priced the boom cylinder yet. It is a very slow leak and my mechanic said it will be ok for now and just keep an eye on it. I will also be replacing the hoses as needed so that will be a cost as well.

When all said and done I am still thinking around $ 10,000 for everything that needs attention.

I will tell you one thing to think about if getting an older excavator, if you need a hydraulic pump, pull out the pocket book. If I ever need a hydraulic pump for this thing I am looking at $ 8,000 😫. I am so glad the hydraulic pump is in good condition!!!! Make sure you check that put before buying. I put 200 dollars up front just to get it checked out. It was money well spent.

/ Joining the Big Show
While me and my mechanic were working on replacing the exhaust system, we were going to do a radiator flush. Turns out radiator was completely gunked up. You cannot find this radiator anymore, maybe China. Took it to radiator shop and they got it cleaned out ($180.00). I am lucky it did need rebuilding yet.

If I had to buy a core and have it rebuilt it would hav e cost anywhere from $1500 to $2000. That its what the radiator man told me. I hope that the radiator lasts a few more years now that the gunk is out.

/ Joining the Big Show #16  
Congratulations!
Put some rat poison inside the rear compartments. Years ago, Japan used soy based wiring insulation and rats love it. How do I know this? Rats ate the insulation off of my Mitsubishi MS 070's (rebadged to CAT E70) wiring and almost burnt it to the ground. But I was there when the wiring started smoking and I got the battery disconnected in time. Took about 7 weekends to completely rewire the ex.
hugs, Brandi
7-16-16 CAT Ready for Pond Cleanout.jpg

/ Joining the Big Show #17  
I second this.

Have a grey market Komatsu PC38UU. Rats got in and chewed up all the safety solenoid wiring on the valves. Had to do some rewiring to get the hydraulics to work again. Now it is down again. Starter possibly. Hope it isn't hydro locked. Will not turn over, just stalls out. Could be more rats and wiring?

CT

/ Joining the Big Show #18  
Since we're neighbors, can I borrow it?:)

/ Joining the Big Show
Update: Got 5 grand in it and it is running like a champ. I believe that I already have made that back with what I have been doing. Currently working on my side yard. Going to open up about an acre for future pole barn or garage. It is mostly flat and will be a good spot. I am really glad I got this from my cousin. This thing takes care of business quickly. I try to park it where it is not in the way of anything and someone can get to it if it needs fixed just in case it does break down while not in use. 😁

EDF55565-63A1-4EF3-9582-FC46BEA037E0.jpeg
C58FD57C-08BC-4890-A677-1C1A023A7BC0.jpeg

/ Joining the Big Show #20  
No problem getting rid of bodies now...!