Joining the Big Show

/ Joining the Big Show #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I have been wanting an excavator for about 10 years now. I have been trying to figure out how to afford to buy one for 10 years as well. I have rented a mini-ex several times to do work and clear land but always dreamed of having my own. I finally ran into this Hitachi EX100. It is grey market and a family member owned it. I am extremely lucky, thankful and grateful for this family member letting me have this.

They were done with it and did not want to invest any money into it to fix the hydraulic leak.. It was right down the driveway from my property and had been sitting for about 4 years with briers growing up around it. I would ride by it all the time and never think anything of it. I was wanting a newer mini-ex. I also thought it was probably no good. I was wrong. It cranks right up and purrs like a kitten. It does need some TLC. As of right now I have $ 1500 in it. Had to have the rotary valve assembly rebuilt and put new hydraulic filters in it. I used it today to dig up some stumps and knock down a few trees. I am a happy camper.😁

Items that I will be fixing/maintaining in the near future are changing engine oil, filter, coolant and new exhaust (rusted out). It needs a throttle cable/motor but rigged up right now to work. One of the boom cylinders has a leak and I am going to address that next week (just seen this). It is going to need new track tensioners but my mechanic said it will be fine for now. Also, will be replacing hoses as necessary. I am new to this world of excavators and have a lot to learn. I am estimating probably spending about 10 to 12 grand total to get it where I am content. I have a heavy equipment mechanic helping me because I don't have the knowledge or skill set yet to fix things on this. Also, a little intimidated by the size of it but excited as well. It has 5700 hours on it and came with a 2 buckets.

E197F964-F3CC-480A-808E-1EFAFFAB7089.jpeg
2D7337B7-C891-4E12-A880-4E16D65F8031.jpeg

/ Joining the Big Show #2  
And sometimes things go just the way you would like. Congratulations and have fun. And safe.

/ Joining the Big Show #4  
(y) That should make your things to do list lot easier.

/ Joining the Big Show #5  
Nice score ! That old girl will still be purring while some of the new ones will be down with electronic and emission issues. Check out Diesel Creek on You Tube, he has a way with these older gems.

/ Joining the Big Show #6  
Nice!!! Have fun with it.

/ Joining the Big Show #7  
It is going to need new track tensioners but my mechanic said it will be fine for now.
Congrats on a great find. It's good to take your time to find the right deal.

Be careful operating it before fixing the track tensioners. If the tracks are loose, they will come off. And they look loose in your pic. Ask me how I know this...

/ Joining the Big Show #8  
Wow, that is awesome!

I would recommend doing all the maintenance you can afford before doing a lot of work with it. Nothing is worse than being in a place only an excavator can get two in the middle of a project and having a breakdown.

/ Joining the Big Show
Congrats on a great find. It's good to take your time to find the right deal.

Be careful operating it before fixing the track tensioners. If the tracks are loose, they will come off. And they look loose in your pic. Ask me how I know this...
Yes. I am planning on spending now to fix the tracks. My cousin used it like that for who know how long but knowing my luck, they will come off.

/ Joining the Big Show #10  
Your a lucky Man! I would Love to have a machine like that!

Mike