JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak

/ JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak #1  

stuart

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4300
John Deere 4300- I have this fluid leak in my left front tire area and was wondering what and where the fluid is coming from and how I can repair it. I am just guessing it is a seal gone bad in the front axle. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
ing a few photos to highlight the problem,
20240418_111117.jpg

Last edited:
   / JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak #3  
   / JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak #4  
I've had a JD4300 for 24 years. No front wheel leaks have occurred. Based upon the video, hiring a John Deere dealer to do the repair appears necessary.

Last edited:
   / JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak #6  
Search for the way to replace the seal. Likely is the problem. Fixable if you have such mechanical and are interested in DIY.

I experienced a seal leak before I learned to loosen the fill plug to relieve the pressure caused by the oil in the axle warming up and pushing out the seal. If you are seeing the oil leak after doing a lot of work that might have caused this pressure, then you may try loosening that fill (dip stick) plug after replacing lost oil.

I believe the service tech manual explains how to replace the seal. That is what I was planning to do if the seal ever got worse. It hasn't since venting.

/ JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak #7  
Based upon the video, hiring a John Deere dealer to do the repair appears necessary.
You are fortunate it has not happened to you yet.

As for DIY repair of the front axle, it is not too bad. Remember when I posted about it years ago?

You have to make this special tool to get the nut out, and have a good set of snapring pliers. It is just a piece of pipe with a couple of weld beads on the inside.

As for the video, it was tough to watch the excessive use of a hammer....

Attachments

• special_nut.JPG
    special_nut.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 17
  • special_tool.JPG
    special_tool.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 15
   / JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak
Search for the way to replace the seal. Likely is the problem. Fixable if you have such mechanical and are interested in DIY.

I experienced a seal leak before I learned to loosen the fill plug to relieve the pressure caused by the oil in the axle warming up and pushing out the seal. If you are seeing the oil leak after doing a lot of work that might have caused this pressure, then you may try loosening that fill (dip stick) plug after replacing lost oil.

I believe the service tech manual explains how to replace the seal. That is what I was planning to do if the seal ever got worse. It hasn't since venting.
Thank you: Will give it a try!

/ JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak
Thank you: Will give it a try!
Beenthere: I grew up in the Bronx NY. Came to Virginia for school. Bought this JD to help me on Virginia's Eastern Shore. This website has kept me from killing myself by people like you educating me. Thanks!

/ JOHN DEERE 4300 small leak #10  
dfkrug

Do you recall or have the inside diameter measurement of that pipe that you used to make the special tool? A clever way to skin that cat.