John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #11  
With your gauge installed on the mainpump loosen the pipe just before the split to the steering and plug that pipe comming from the pump. Start the engine and see if you have full pressure. If so then move your plug to just after the t-fitting to add the powerstering. If pressure is ok then add the next funtion. Image%20(2).jpeg

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #12  
You are working on a close center sisteme with "taps" that should be close at all times but when you need some work to be done. By blanking pipe it will give you the same power as closing taps.

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #14  
I still think your only solution is to remove rockshaft housing & see what's wrong. I think cam follower or spring is broken or linkage is not in correct location. With rockshaft off would be a good time to replace RS control valve & piston seals that have been known to fail/wear out. 3 pt control lever should have enough tension on friction washers so lever stays where operator positions it.

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #15  
Ha! Well, it still sounds a bit like the middle of nowhere, which is how I like it.

Jimbo
Just look at the map of the Coyote Flats city limits boundaries!!! I don't know what they were smoking but it wasn't tobacco!

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-05-19 062759.png
    Annotation 2020-05-19 062759.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 134
   / John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #16  
Jimbo
Just look at the map of the Coyote Flats city limits boundaries!!! I don't know what they were smoking but it wasn't tobacco!

Looks like some property owners did not want to be part of the City, or the City did not want them !

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #17  
Maybe the only way to keep from being annexed into either Ft.Wayne or Dallas sometime in the future.

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem
Good Lord! Looks like one of those weird computer type symbols from 1982 or something.

Yeah, I think lifting the rockshaft housing is in my future. I agree that replacing seals and anything else while it's off is a good idea. Yesterday when I had to make a trip into town I picked up a little borescope or endoscope that attaches to a laptop. If I can get that going and see what is happening inside while it is running or where it is leaking in the various rockshaft lever positions, that would be good idea. In a perfect world, if I can figure this out and order parts ahead of time it may help overall. I will try to figure out how to take a picture with it and that may provide some clues. Thanks for the suggestions.

Btw-- My 1640 tractor serial # is 482206