John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem
Mentioned this gauge at the beginning of this thread so thought I would post a pic. Did this a few years ago when we first encountered problems: a pressure gauge on the hydraulic pump. Tractor needs a spring cleanup but you get the idea. This was not expensive and really paid off later when began encountering a lot of other problems that made no rhyme or reason--at least you could tell what was going on at a glance.

Attachments

• John-Deere-1640-Hydraulic-Gauge-1.jpg
    John-Deere-1640-Hydraulic-Gauge-1.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
   / John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #42  
Rockshaft control valve seals/gasket kit part # is AL57974 & piston seals are part # AL33105
Hi,
I search for this # AL57974, but I only found the lift cover gasket, like in photo - not the control valve seals...

Attachments

• set-garnituri-monobloc-al57974-john-deere-158.jpg
    set-garnituri-monobloc-al57974-john-deere-158.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 131
   / John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #43  
If memory severs me, this is what our Hydraulic Relief Valve looked like after we pulled it. Notice the O ring on the left was shot and in pieces. Cheap fix with an assorted O ring kit, although I've found it is better in the long run to order the real thing from John Deere--they last longer and aren't very expensive. It may also be called the Filter Bypass Valve-- can't remember, did a lot of valves on this tractor.
TxJIm also adviced us to check the same thing...

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #44  
Mentioned this gauge at the beginning of this thread so thought I would post a pic. Did this a few years ago when we first encountered problems: a pressure gauge on the hydraulic pump. Tractor needs a spring cleanup but you get the idea. This was not expensive and really paid off later when began encountering a lot of other problems that made no rhyme or reason--at least you could tell what was going on at a glance.
What is should be the proper oil pressure on the gauge?

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #45  
Tractordata states 2466 psi(170 bar) hyd stand-by pressure. All dark outlined parts including seals are included in part # AL57974
1618002064618.png

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #46  
Hello forum, I do not want to create a new post, I noticed in the photo Flow Control Valve disassembled and there are four washers. I have a john deere 2140 with a sg2 cabin how many washers should I have?

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #47  
Hello forum, I do not want to create a new post, I noticed in the photo Flow Control Valve disassembled and there are four washers. I have a john deere 2140 with a sg2 cabin how many washers should I have?
Welcome to TBN
# of washers required is determined by pressure desired for priority pressure for power steering. IRRC the factory setting pressure on flow control valve was 1700-1750 psi. I notice parts catalog # 4185 lists 7 washers fir this valve.

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #48  
Yes, it is correct, according to the parts catalog, there should be 7 of them. In my tractor when I bought there were 4 of them, if it changes something I have a front loader.

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #49  
Correctly adjusted flow control valve helps keep power steering valve from starving for hyd pressure/flow when operating hyd control valves such as 3pt,scv & FEL. Power steering valve starving for flow while operating a hyd control valve can cause steering wheel to briefly hesitate when turning wheel.

/ John Deere 1640 Strange Hydraulic Problem #50  
PC4179 for European 2140 to serial number 429999 shows only 4 shims.