jd4400 vs Kubota

/ jd4400 vs Kubota #1  

David USMC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jd 345
Well, my local dealer prepared a JD4400 with front end loader, 60 inch belly mower and a JD 50 inch tiller. My wife and I went to the dealership prior to delivery and the size of the set-up sent us running. I have a real dilemma developing here. Stalled the dealer, Im not sure Im doing the right thing. I have One acre to mow...maybe more in the future..although my neighbors dont want to sell vacant property. I really want to justify this tractor purchase. Would like to start small scale vegetable production but this dilemma has a reasonable decision this growing season seriously in doubt. The small Deeres are out of the question...Would a small Kubota that offers the same features (implements)be a reasonable compromise. The weight of the JD 4000 series has me very concerned about soil compaction...Kubota is probably lighter...QQQ. Its winding down..Guys...Id appreciate the input. Thanks in advance

/ jd4400 vs Kubota #2  
David: I have a similar problem. I like the JD 4300 and trying to justify it. I have about 4 acres to play on. I keep going back and looking at the JD 790. It is about 2100 lbs., 30hp gross. The JD 790 costs about 12,000. delivered. Comments anyone?

/ jd4400 vs Kubota #3  
Sounds like the 27/2910 would be a good fit for your needs. Going from memory, didn't seriously consider any JD products, the 4400 is physically pretty large. Would be concerned about compaction and would check lb/sq. in. on tires (even estimate). I have basically hard sand and the 2710 leaves light prints if it's even a little damp. However, have an area of 'hydric' (sic?) soil, and while it leaves a 3-4" iumpression, it cuts fine (belly) and does not trench. Water pressure pushes it back. Neighbor in his old Duetch left 10" deep puddles.

Sounds like implements are similar as well. Have a 72" deck which goes right through 8" thick grass like butter (cutting 7A). No tiller but I believe the 2710/2910 will take a 5' (4' for sure, and unless you're doing 40A should be fine). Not sure on loader specs--recommend checking for significant difference.

Check a few dealers--prices do vary quite a bit (at least here in MI). Would also do some digging into JD4000 series--have had some significant problems since launched. Check out some Deere specific sites--there are a lot of them. Personally have had some problems with Deere dealers and their corporate--have seen many other posts with similar experiences. Suffice to say their literature is accurate--they stand behind their dealers: No matter how rotten they are. IMO they are just milking a previously good brand name. Appears Kubota is trying for the premium nameplate to replace them. Evident in the couple problem posts I have seen where Kubota bent over backwards and resolved.

Also in dealer attitude and training from my experiences--day and night. But there is always good and bad in all, so make sure you deal with one your comfortable with. Mention this as it seems you think the dealer might be frustrated--if he is, walk. This is huge toy purchase for most (be honest), and taking the time to make sure you get it right is mandatory. Never the slightest pressure from the guy I bought from--when he could have. Endured endless questions and always said he'd get what I wanted when I wanted it.

Good luck.

/ jd4400 vs Kubota #4  
Think carefully about what you want to do. 1 1/2 acres is enough land to do almost anything you want to do and enough room to do some serious work on if you choose. If all you are going to do is mow it, get a riding lawnmower from Kubota.

Look carefully at the B2400 with LA351 loader. It will do a serious job of mowing with the Kubota deck mower and the loader will lift 770 pounds. The next step is a L2500 with LB400 or a L2900 with LA481 which puts lifting in the 1000# class.

These have excellent resale and will allow you to till, lift, mow, scrape and level with plenty of power. They are medium in size and weight and you would find them very useful and a lot smaller than the 4400, yet nearly as capable. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif