5x25 vs 5095M

/ 5x25 vs 5095M #1  

Turbo5upra

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 300
Hello all! I’m on the search for a tractor to run a small beef operation with… I’m starting out with 5-6 head in the spring and expanding to 20ish. I plan buying hay to start and then doing round bales as I progress.

I currently have a 30hp gas case tractor and a L4350 but want to upgrade the kubota before I get too
Many attachments that are going to be too small for my future needs.

My plan is to round bale 30-40 acres. I’m looking for one tractor I can do most of it with and if the need arises later I’ll buy an older larger hunk of iron to do field work with.

I’ve decided I want something without emissions but still want the creature comforts of a newer tractor. I want to be able to do most of the repairs on it myself and I leaning toward Deere since they are close by and the dealer seems pretty supportive.

That being said is there a reason to go with a slightly newer “m” model over the 5x25 tractors? The 5425 and 5525 seem somewhat readily available as do the 5095’s-

I want a cab and loader and power reverser.

Are there any other options I should be looking at?

/ 5x25 vs 5095M #2  
When I was looking 12+ years ago, I really wanted a 5X25 series, with MFWD, Power Reverser, and a loader. At the time the M series were new enough to be out of my budget, so I never considered them. A cab was also out of my budget.
Because I did not require a cab, I ended up with a JD 6415 that had MFWD, Power Reverser, PowerQuad, mid and rear SCVs, radial tires, and a JD 640 MSL loader. For thousands less than the 5X25 tractors (no cab) I was looking at.
The selling dealer told me for that size tractor, everyone wants a cab. It's bigger and more tractor than I intended to buy, but I saved about $10K.

The only option I wish the 6415 had, that the 5X25 has available it the ePTO.

How much more are "Ms" over 5X25s?

/ 5x25 vs 5095M
Thanks for the reply! They are within spitting distance on price-

Can you think of any reason if price and options are similar to go with one over the other?

/ 5x25 vs 5095M #4  
In my experience, the M series is built heavier with heavier hydraulics and more amenities in the cab than other 5000 series models. I know that they have full frames under them when others like my 56083e use the engine block as part of the frame structure. I always wanted an M series, but could not afford it. My e model has held up pretty good though except for the a/c, and sensors shorting out

/ 5x25 vs 5095M
In my experience, the M series is built heavier with heavier hydraulics and more amenities in the cab than other 5000 series models. I know that they have full frames under them when others like my 56083e use the engine block as part of the frame structure. I always wanted an M series, but could not afford it. My e model has held up pretty good though except for the a/c, and sensors shorting out
I understand that to be the case over the “e” models but I’m unsure if it carried backwards to the older models.

/ 5x25 vs 5095M #6  
When I bought my 5310 in 2002, the 2 series tractors had just come out. At the time I was advised not to buy a cab version of a 25 series because the cab was like an after thought and that they wouldn't hold up well. I bought the 5310 so I have no idea if what the JD dealer to;d me turned out to be true or not. As far as M vs E, that was not relavent in the 25 series and older 5 series tractors.

/ 5x25 vs 5095M #7  
Thanks for the reply! They are within spitting distance on price-

Can you think of any reason if price and options are similar to go with one over the other?
That close in price, it would be the one that the I liked cab on best. Or the one with the least complicated electronic controllers.
I was expecting the M to be significantly more the a 5X25.
How large of a 5X25 are your looking at? When I was looking, the 5425 was the largest I wanted. My 6415 is way bigger physically and HP wise. It came with 18.4-34 rear tires, and 13.6-24 fronts. I was used to the 16.9-28s on my JD 2030 and not needing steps to get on.
Have you considered any 6000 series with a cab?

/ 5x25 vs 5095M
The quality of the cabs doesn’t seem to be an issue- I haven’t been in one but that’s the first I’ve heard of that and the reviews on line don’t seem to complain too much about it.

As far as 5 vs 6 the 6’s seem to be considerably more cash than a 5. My thought was to buy 80-90 pto and buy items that it would run but be on the lower end of power for and later on buy a 100+ open station tractor for field work while having the 5 series for chores.

The 5x and m’s range from upper 30’s to mid 50’s depending on hours and condition. There might be a 3-5k difference between 2 similar tractors but I wouldn’t let that amount sway me either way.

/ 5x25 vs 5095M #9  
I understand that to be the case over the “e” models but I’m unsure if it carried backwards to the older models.

The 5E units are the direct descendants of the original 5x00 series machines from the early 1990s, so yes, the design carries backwards. They use the same basic engines (except the 5500, 5225, and 5325), transmissions, and the same 80.7" three-cylinder chassis and 85.7" four-cylinder (and briefly, five-cylinder) chassis used in the 5x00, 5x03, 5x10, 5x20, and 5x25 lines. The 5M is a new, longer chassis that was introduced in the late 2000s. The 5R is yet another new chassis developed a few years ago, it is in between the four-cylinder 5E and the 5M chassis in wheelbase.

Note that the 5D and the 5x05 were on different chassis than the 5E, 5M, or 5R. It was a shorter wheelbase chassis that was apparently developed for and still is used in the Indian market.

/ 5x25 vs 5095M #10  
I thought that the 5M series went back to 2008 and were pre-emission tractors.