JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I have a 997 Diesel Zero Turn with about 250 hours. I don't use it much; went to start it today and got a clicking noise when turned the key. I keep the battery on a charger and it's showing "Green" as in fully charged. What' the issue here?

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start #2  
Clean and check all the battery connections and grounds. Have the battery load tested.

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start #3  
Safety switches/interlocks?

Dirty/corroded battery cables/terminals?

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start #4  
I'd also suspect bad connections first, but wouldn't rule out a bad battery either. May be plain "wore out".

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start #5  
I'd also suspect bad connections first, but wouldn't rule out a bad battery either. May be plain "wore out".

Strongbox batteries are notorious for sudden failure. The battery on my X748 was about 6 years old when it failed, but it worked perfectly, then one day I was mowing, shut it off to take a break, then it wouldn't crank the engine. Would only put out around 10 volts when it was presented with any kind of load.

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start
Many thanks all! After reading this and chatting with the Dealer, I'm going to replace the battery first. Apparently, it can show "full charge" on a charger, but not have the cranking amps. Btw, that's what happened. it ran fine and now nothing but a few clicks and wines...

IT WAS THE BATTERY! Installed a new one and it fired right up. Good thing because the Dealer said they would not come out and look at it - I had to bring it in. Pretty hard to do when lives at end of a hilly long trail at my shop.

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start #8  
IT WAS THE BATTERY! Installed a new one and it fired right up. Good thing because the Dealer said they would not come out and look at it - I had to bring it in. Pretty hard to do when lives at end of a hilly long trail at my shop.

Glad to hear it. How old was the battery?

/ JD 997 Zero Turn-No Start #9  
I saw 2 DOA Strongbox batteries this year that were supposed to be "Dealer Charged" prior to sale. Im gathering that sudden death with these batts is pretty common. Not impressed with them at all.

Glad to hear it. How old was the battery?

I purchased the 997 in June 2008 - it was the original battery...so it's 6 years old or so. I'm good about keeping batteries on a trickle charge - I guess a cell or two got damaged/failed.