JD 5083E questions

/ JD 5083E questions #1  

aussieboy1000

Tractor
david brown 885
Hello all
Looking at buying a 5083E with OOS and 12 x12 PowerReverser. A couple of questions to owners out there...

a) Can you use the column mounted Power Reverser without using the clutch. i.e like backwards and forwards using the loader in a stockpile just using the hand lever?

b) The 1-2-3-4 gear lever, is it synchromeshed? Can you go up through the gears and down through the gears (using the foot clutch of course) with the tractor in motion? Or do you have to be stopped to use the 1-2-3-4 lever?

c) Basic services - I'm no mechanic, how hard are the engine oil filter, hydraulic/ transmission oil filter, and fuel filters to change?

TIA
Regards from Downunder

/ JD 5083E questions #2  
Yes , Yes and quite easy on the filter maintenance

/ JD 5083E questions #3  
I have a 2011 5093E Limited which is basically the same tractor, so as Seven Gables said.
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not bad at all, only thing I found odd was the engine oil drain plug takes a 10 mm square socket, the first time I went to change the oil I thought it was a 3/8 square drive but it's not so I had to go out and buy a 10mm square socket just to change the oil, In 54 years on this earth I had never needed one, but I have one now.

/ JD 5083E questions #4  
Hello all
Looking at buying a 5083E with OOS and 12 x12 PowerReverser. A couple of questions to owners out there...

a) Can you use the column mounted Power Reverser without using the clutch. i.e like backwards and forwards using the loader in a stockpile just using the hand lever?

b) The 1-2-3-4 gear lever, is it synchromeshed? Can you go up through the gears and down through the gears (using the foot clutch of course) with the tractor in motion? Or do you have to be stopped to use the 1-2-3-4 lever?

c) Basic services - I'm no mechanic, how hard are the engine oil filter, hydraulic/ transmission oil filter, and fuel filters to change?

TIA
Regards from Downunder

The 5083E I've run had a cab rather than being an open station, but it's otherwise similar.

1. Yes. You can choose to use the foot clutch when changing direction if you want though.
2. Yes. The range shift however is not synchronized so you will need to come to a complete stop to change ranges.
3. The oil and fuel filters are simple. The hydraulic filter often gets pretty tight and usually requires a chain wrench to remove but is really not too bad.