Loader JD 4200 FEL

/ JD 4200 FEL #1  

DeereDoc

Tractor
John Deere 4200
I have a JD 4200 with 1100 hours on it. Generally I like the tractor and have made several modifications to it that would take time to do to anything different I would get. I would agree with other comments that the 4200 can be a bit underpowered for it's size. I think it was made in the 2000 to 2002 time range??

Anyway it doesn't have a front end loader. I need one. Bad.

I don't expect heavy use necessarily - weekend warrior type stuff.

I would say my budget is up to $5000 and ideally would include one that has a skid style attach for forks or a bucket.

The loader from Deere is the 420 and last I checked was about $4k

My question is:

Should I simply get a loader and put it on my current tractor

OR

Trade in/sell my current tractor and buy one with a loader already on it. Despite my moniker I am not brand loyal.

If the answer is to simply get a loader - go Deere or aftermarket of some sort? If aftermarket which would be most recommended/best value?

/ JD 4200 FEL #2  
If your current tractor is some what under powered the FEL may fall short of expectations. A FEL designed and made for the specific tractor will serve better than fitting an aftermarket or odd size FEL.

Might be cheaper to sell your current tractor and get a little larger one with the FEL already attached.

/ JD 4200 FEL #4  
The 430 should fit the 4200 just fine. Same loader that I have on the 4300 and same tractor frame as the 4200.

Last edited:
   / JD 4200 FEL #5  
I have a 4200 with the FEL, its my first tractor and have had it going on 4 years. The tractor can seem a little underpowered compared to some larger pieces i have run but its still very capable. It spends most of the time in the woods cutting firewood and then the rest of the time pulling a land plane to maintain a 3/4 mile dirt road. I would recommend the loader designed for the tractor. It comes off and on relatively easy once you are used to doing it. When unloading pellets for the neighbor we have to break some of it down first. The pallet comes in at 2000 lbs and we usually pull about 600 pounds off first. If you do add a FEL i would highly recommend getting the tires filled.

Hope this helps.

/ JD 4200 FEL #6  
If your current tractor is some what under powered the FEL may fall short of expectations. A FEL designed and made for the specific tractor will serve better than fitting an aftermarket or odd size FEL.

Might be cheaper to sell your current tractor and get a little larger one with the FEL already attached.
I agree it always seems a lot cheaper and less trouble to buy a tractor already with the FEL.

/ JD 4200 FEL #7  
I have a JD 4200 with 1100 hours on it. Generally I like the tractor and have made several modifications to it that would take time to do to anything different I would get. I would agree with other comments that the 4200 can be a bit underpowered for it's size. I think it was made in the 2000 to 2002 time range??

Anyway it doesn't have a front end loader. I need one. Bad.

I don't expect heavy use necessarily - weekend warrior type stuff.

I would say my budget is up to $5000 and ideally would include one that has a skid style attach for forks or a bucket.

The loader from Deere is the 420 and last I checked was about $4k

My question is:

Should I simply get a loader and put it on my current tractor

OR

Trade in/sell my current tractor and buy one with a loader already on it. Despite my moniker I am not brand loyal.

If the answer is to simply get a loader - go Deere or aftermarket of some sort? If aftermarket which would be most recommended/best value?

If your 4200 already has the loader hydraulics, find a 430 loader if possible. The brackets are simple. I don't believe there is a front bracket, it just sets on the frame. The rear brackets are simple to make, and I would hope cheap to buy due to their simplicity.
If it doesn't have a loader valve then it probably isn't going to make economic sense to do add one, better off selling and buying. I must say that the advantages of the 430 over the 420 loader make the 420 loader not even an option IMHO. The 430 lifts a lot higher, is faster, has better curl angle due to the links, and also has higher capacity IIRC.

/ JD 4200 FEL #8  
Old thread, poster has not been online since he asked the question:

Last Activity 02-21-2016 09:52 AM