JD 385 baler

/ JD 385 baler #11  
On the Euro Style BV Kubota, like I said, you cannot see the bale being formed at all, it's entirely enclosed within the machine so you have to rely on the electronics to tell you exactly what is transpiring inside far as the symmetry of the bale and density of it. No choice. So far so good. Time and use will tell. Hopefully, the integrated circuits aren't run of the mill Chinese stuff that can fail without advanced notice, kind of like what goes in automobiles and light trucks today. I am quite satisfied with the 'steering wheel' on the monitor screen, much better and easier to deal with than the New Holland fill arrows. I get nice symmetrical bales, wrapped in net or twine (my choice) every time. One other interesting aspect is, I can wrap with twine initially and then over wrap with net if I want to. That works with wheat straw bales really well as dry wheat straw tends to peel off a formed bale in the field quickly while the bale is rotating in the bale chamber so a quick twine wrap followed by net keeps the majority of the wheat straw in the bale and not on the ground. Have not used it yet but probably will next year.

/ JD 385 baler
Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. I went and looked at it and it’s a fairly clean unit. Not having a monitor doesn’t bother me, I can mount a back up or blue tooth camera and see behind me for <$100.

The good.
1) sprockets looked brand new
2) the round bars on drum looked great with no wear. I’d bet they’re original because of the way they wrap around the drum.
3) duel twine
4) all the pickups were there
5) brand new tire on one side
6) he said the PO bought it new in 94 and put new bearings in it last year just before he bought it.

The bad
1) both gate cylinders have a small leak
2) one belt is smoked. Half the belt is worn right down.
3) needs hydraulic lines

I make all my own hydraulic lines and a rebuilding a couple cylinders is easy enough. He was firm on his $4200 which I think is fair. I’ll give it a day or 2 to make up my mind. I’m pretty sure net wrap balers are way out of my price range. I’ll post back with pictures if I decide to buy it.

Thanks again,
Andy

/ JD 385 baler #13  
Belts are not easy to replace. You have to have a lacing jig depending on what style the splice is and a crimper to crimp the splice. I suggest taking it to a dealer, preferably one who sells the brand of bailer and let him replace the belt, In reality it should hold more than 2 twine balls and you need to run 110 test poly. I don't use twine but I keep 2 NH brand Mega Balls in my twine box and threaded just in case. You want about 30 pounds of resistance on the twine to wrap a bale tightly.

You aren't all that far from me actually. I'm just north of Toledo off US 23 near the Cabelas store.

/ JD 385 baler #14  
Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. I went and looked at it and it’s a fairly clean unit. Not having a monitor doesn’t bother me, I can mount a back up or blue tooth camera and see behind me for <$100.

The good.
1) sprockets looked brand new
2) the round bars on drum looked great with no wear. I’d bet they’re original because of the way they wrap around the drum.
3) duel twine
4) all the pickups were there
5) brand new tire on one side
6) he said the PO bought it new in 94 and put new bearings in it last year just before he bought it.

The bad
1) both gate cylinders have a small leak
2) one belt is smoked. Half the belt is worn right down.
3) needs hydraulic lines

I make all my own hydraulic lines and a rebuilding a couple cylinders is easy enough. He was firm on his $4200 which I think is fair. I’ll give it a day or 2 to make up my mind. I’m pretty sure net wrap balers are way out of my price range. I’ll post back with pictures if I decide to buy it.

Thanks again,
Andy

Those are easily fixable items. Cylinders repacked, replace belt.
I’d still say you’re money ahead if thats the list. A net baler might be possible for 8-10k, but it’ll be a fixer-upper, too.

Edit: Andy, did you end up buying it?

Last edited:
   / JD 385 baler #15  
One other interesting aspect is, I can wrap with twine initially and then over wrap with net if I want to. That works with wheat straw bales really well as dry wheat straw tends to peel off a formed bale in the field quickly while the bale is rotating in the bale chamber so a quick twine wrap followed by net keeps the majority of the wheat straw in the bale and not on the ground. Have not used it yet but probably will next year.
I fail to see the importance or need of putting even ONE wrap of twine on a bale when netwrap can be applied to formed bale in ONE BALE REVOLUTION then more wraps as baler operator desires. One could only put one or 2 strings of twine on bale PER EACH BALE REVOLUTION. I know 1 layer of netwrap will restrain more wheat straw on bale that 1 or 40+ wraps of twine. BTDT wheat straw with both types of wrapping.

/ JD 385 baler #16  
Actually, neither do I. All I'm saying is, it will. I don't bale wheat straw any more, or cornstalks for that matter. Just feed hay and not mulch hay.

/ JD 385 baler #17  
One thing I am curious about Jim and that is, how do you initiate the wrap cycle with no in cab control?

/ JD 385 baler #18  
Actually, neither do I. All I'm saying is, it will. I don't bale wheat straw any more, or cornstalks for that matter. Just feed hay and not mulch hay.
And all I will state is I'd like see in writing where Kubota explains the need to wrap twine on a bale of straw prior to applying netwrap. Sounds like a waste of time & $$$$ for twine to me.

/ JD 385 baler #19  
One thing I am curious about Jim and that is, how do you initiate the wrap cycle with no in cab control?
If you're referring to the JD 385 rd baler mentioned in this thread twine depending on type wrapping option can be applied via electrically with a simple toggle switch operating an actuator arm or hydraulically utilizing tractor scv to control hyd cylinder.

/ JD 385 baler #20  
And all I will state is I'd like see in writing where Kubota explains the need to wrap twine on a bale of straw prior to applying netwrap. Sounds like a waste of time & $$$$ for twine to me.
They don't. What I am saying is, I can twine wrap and then over wrap with net via the monitor. Just a matter of switching from manual actuated twine to auto wrap with net. I don't particularly like twine anyway. The wrap cycle is way too long versus net. Twine is about a minute whereas net is about 30 seconds per bale. My customer prefers net and so do I. If I was running wheat straw (which I don't) I would to keep the bales from falling apart while rotating in the bale chamber.