JD 3-series 3rd function valve

/ JD 3-series 3rd function valve #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
Before I go and post a general question to the Hydraulics forum, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any proportional control for the 3rd function hydraulics available on Deere 3-series. My 3033r has the third function buttons on the loader joystick, which control a simple "bang-bang" solenoid. It works okay for tilting a snow plow, but it's simply too fast and crude for a lot of the other places I'd like to use this hydraulic output.

I've thought about putting flow control devices (valves or line restrictors) on the various implements that I plug into this channel, but before doing so, I'm wondering if there's a factory valve option for this. I'm thinking something similar to the simple flow control we have on every 3-point rockshaft, which controls the bleed-down rate of the 3-point.

Anyone ever seen an option like this from Deere, or even aftermarket, which would fit this tractor?

It's strange to me that Deere made channels 4 and 5 proportional (although I don't have the ch.4+5 option installed), but made ch.3 non-proportional control, esp. as it's installed as part of the front snowblower chute rotator or mower deck lift option sets.

Thanks!

/ JD 3-series 3rd function valve #2  
Not familiar with your Deere but if proportional is option for other sections it should be option for 3rd section also.

/ JD 3-series 3rd function valve
Not familiar with your Deere but if proportional is option for other sections it should be option for 3rd section also.
I'm hoping so. It's presently installed as a solenoid-operated valve, located behind the seat, atop the 3-point top link connection, but there's no proportional control of it (or even a simple needle valve flow control) that I can find:

IMG_2671.JPG IMG_1417.JPG

/ JD 3-series 3rd function valve #4  
Proportional might require replacing the complete section. Possibly just the pilot head but suspect spool could be different also to provide the metering.

Would also have to verify no space constraints since proportional control might be longer than bang, bang coils.

Proportional might require replacing the complete section. Possibly just the pilot head but suspect spool could be different also to provide the metering.

Would also have to verify no space constraints since proportional control might be longer than bang, bang coils.
Yeah, definitely no room between solenoid and QC fittings. But I'm thinking there might be a place to valve between pump and solenoid.

If Deere doesn't sell an option for this, I will probably just add flow controls to the implements themselves, rather than tearing apart and customizing such a new tractor. The downside to valving on the implement is that most wouldn't be adjustable from the seat, and also that I have more than one implement that would benefit from this.

/ JD 3-series 3rd function valve #6  
Winter
Another item to consider is the electronics required to drive a proportional valve. Is this technology already on your tractor or would it require some type of upgrade?
I.e. Does the existing switch have potentiometer or is it simple on - off? Does your controller have milliamp control with PWM output? If not are these simple upgrades?

I suspect some of these answers will have to come from your dealer.

/ JD 3-series 3rd function valve #7  
Add flow control valves to the hoses on your separate implements/attachments. Think you have that in mind already. Dial them in to your satisfaction/specs when each are being used. Ready to go when attached the next time. Once set, likely won't be thinking you want to reset from the seat the next time.
Seems to me will beat attaching another implement and having to go through re-setting from the seat the next time, and breaking something due to a big surprise. Whoops!, forgot that reacted so quickly. Or when someone else is in the seat, hooks up the implement and learns that it is not dialed in and breaks something. Flow control valve is then implement specific on the third function.

Last edited:
Another item to consider is the electronics required to drive a proportional valve. Is this technology already on your tractor or would it require some type of upgrade?
I.e. Does the existing switch have potentiometer or is it simple on - off? Does your controller have milliamp control with PWM output? If not are these simple upgrades?
Not sure, that's why I'm asking here!
I suspect some of these answers will have to come from your dealer.
I have an email into the sales guy I used at the dealership, but no reply yet. Maybe he's on vacation. I will try to call them during business hours tomorrow, if I can find a free minute. Time for thinking about these things often gets put off until evenings or weekends, around here, and then the dealer is closed.
Add flow control valves to the hoses on your separate implements/attachments. Think you have that in mind already. Dial them in to your satisfaction/specs when each are being used. Ready to go when attached the next time. Once set, likely won't be thinking you want to reset from the seat the next time.
Seems to me will beat attaching another implement and having to go through re-setting from the seat the next time, and breaking something due to a big surprise. Whoops!, forgot that reacted so quickly. Or when someone else is in the seat, hooks up the implement and learns that it is not dialed in and breaks something. Flow control valve is then implement specific on the third function.
Yes, that's the alternative. You thinking of something like this?

/ JD 3-series 3rd function valve #9  
   / JD 3-series 3rd function valve #10  
If your loader curl action has the proportional control you occasionally need, swap the hose fitting connections.