Its alive! sort of...

/ Its alive! sort of... #1  

rlphoto

Tractor
75 C8 super, 65 LI custom, 84 wheelhorse 3-12, 57 Farmall 230
Hello guys, well the 59-65 LI custom finally started today with Richards rebuild carb. Turn around time from Richard was exceptional. The only problem is that the oil pressure gage zoomed clear to the top and stayed there so I shut it down. I checked all the lines, found a check valve in the oil filler hole outlet. It seemed OK, Must be the oil filter Richard sent me. Doesnt make sense. I have the full flow system, all oil goes through the filter, the filter will not pass oil. Seems to me I read somewheres that there is a certain amount of back pressure needed in the filter, but I think there is a little to much in this one. I did not know at the time I ordered it that my engine was actually a 59. But everything else was a LI custom from the mid sixty's. I mentioned on ordering that I thought the engine was a mid 60s. So wouldn't the 6.6 engine with the full flow filter take the same filter regardless of the year? The filter I got was smaller than the fram PH8A, black, and had super tech on the label. In the morning I will go get a fram PH8A

Also what is the deal with the check valve?

Another thing, the order was shipped so fast the spark plug never made it in the box. So I called around, I think it was a W14? I cant remember now, anyway what to do for a plug. Thanks!

Randy

Last edited:
   / Its alive! sort of...
Update on the oil thing,

It seems that the filters don't pass a lot of oil till they get broke in a little. As I ran the engine some the oil pressure dropped into the normal range. And as the engine heated up and the oil thinned out, (30wtHD) the oil pressure dropped into the red while idling, and just into the normal when running about mid throttle. The gravely engine tag specifies 40wt, but I had some 30wt so I put it in. I also dont see a whole lot of oil spurting out under that cap. Could this be that the oil pressure cannot over come the check valve?

So what do you guys think?

/ Its alive! sort of...
krislu said:
Randy- I think it's time for you to search and or post at the Gravely forumn.
gravelyclub : Gravely Club - This club is set up to discuss gravely tractors

You can use the search function in the "messages" area to get answers to all of your questions also there are alot more Gravely people to answer your questions. - Kris :)

Hello, I do search Yahoo/gravely quite a bit. Sometimes I get a specific answer, sometimes I don't. I don't post, because I am not crazy about the yahoo forum format. I like this format a lot better, so I frequent this list hoping it will get bigger. I appriciate all the questions you have answered. Slowly I am learning what I need to know.