iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start

/ iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start #1  

marcelPL

Silver Member
Tractor
iseki TX1500 and TX1300F
Hi all, my tx1300F will not start anymore.

First i found that the ground cable and starter engine became extremely HOT after trying to start with help of starter cables (on my iseki tx1500).

Even the starter cables became too hot to touch.

After this i replaced both the battery, the starter engine (revised), and the ground cable from the battery. I also tried to clean all cables to look for bad contact.

After connecting everything (with new starter engine), at least i could start it, but it stopped after about 20 seconds.

After this i have nothing, not even the ''click'' when i try to start it.

Must be an electrical problem, does anybody know if one can still buy the cable-tree (or whatever it is called) for these old iseki's?

many thanks,
M.

/ iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start #2  
I don't understand. Did the starter stop after twenty seconds or did the engine start then stop after twenty seconds? A problem with starting would not necessarily mean you need a complete new harness. Instead of throwing money at the tractor you'd do better to fully investigate the actual problem. If a harness is available you would not be happy if you replaced it only to find the same problem. I doubt there's a lot of wire there to troubleshoot.

/ iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start
No the engine stopped after 20 seconds. Then i tried to start it again, but there was nothing. Not even the ''click'' from starter engine engaging.

That's why i am 100% sure its an electrical problem. But my knowledge on this subject is zero.

I already replaced the battery, and the starter engine. And replaced the ground cable from the battery with something a lot bigger.

I just don't know where to look anymore.

thx
M.

/ iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start #4  
Begin by making sure the engine is free to turn over. With many tractors you can put a socket or wrench on the nut on the front of the crankshaft. It may be tight between there and the radiator. The engine will not spin easily but it should be possible to rotate the crankshaft. If you can't rotate it neither can the starter. If the engine is seized it's not electrical. When you turn the key it doesn't activate the starter. It activates a solenoid or heavy duty relay. This may be on the starter or physically separated. The low power from the key switch causes it to apply the large amount of current used by the starter. If your old starter shorted internally you could have burned up the solenoid. You're still not looking at a wiring harness. Instead of throwing money at the problem troubleshoot it or find somebody who can.

The engine is free. When taking out starter engine i put a crowbar on this big disk where starter engine connects, and i can turn it. Not easy, but that's compression.

Starter engine as a whole has been revised (?) just two days ago. It's like new, and after putting it back it actually worked once.

After this the engine stopped after running 20 seconds. Every attempt to start it now will result in the little red light on the dash to go black instantly, and nothing happens. So to me this means it's an electrical problem.

I also have this 40 year old Ursus tractor, and here in Poland i can still buy the complete wiring harness. That's why i was hoping this stuff was still for sale for iseki.

Never mind, i will try and borrow some stuff from my tx1500, and see what happens.

thx,
M.

ps love your motorcycle. These older Triumph are true beauty.

/ iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start #6  
I believe your Iseki is a forty year old tractor. They were pretty simple. To stop the tractor you probably have to turn off fuel manually with the throttle lever as I don't believe tractors of that vintage used a fuel shutoff solenoid. If that's the case as long as the tractor has air, fuel, and compression it should keep running. Check your air cleaner, air passage to the intake, and be sure you have good fuel flow. You can't do much work in twenty seconds - at least I can't. The starting problem should not take a wiring harness, and if the problem is external to the harness that won't solve it anyhow. Thanks for the comment on the bike. It's a frame up restoration of a 1972 T120V.

You misunderstood, the problem was the starter engine did not turn. Did not even give a click.

I did some wiki on how this starter engine works, and normally it is just impossible that it will not give this ''click'' when the small pin on starter engine is hardwired to the PLUS from battery.

So i took a starter cable, connected to the MINUS from battery, and connected to one of the bolts from starter engine. After this the trick with the cable on the PLUS suddenly worked.

So i created an extra ground cable connected to the started engine, and now it turns Ok.

Looks like the front part of the tractor has no ground connection to the battery. I should check this.

Thanks for thinking with me :)

M.

ps love those bonneville . We had a few in the army in 1980, almost the same, but they were 350cc. Unbreakable.

/ iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start #8  
Hi Marcel, I see your having some issues, I am interested to see if you have the solution, its is very strange your engine stopped after 20 seconds, this also would lead me to think it was not a starter issue, the reason being is the starter serves one purpose, to spin the engine to get it started, then disengages and does nothing more, the engine is purely mechanical injection so when its running it needs no electrical power,
If your starter cables are getting hot you are correct to check connections, I would have thought the engine would have had to be spun on the starter for a considerable time to warm them though, if the battery light is going out when you rotate the knob to start its like a dead short somewhere, pretty sure you could cross the terminals on the starter to spin it, there is a fault finding part in the manuals for the starter, I used it on mine as I wanted to check it was functioning before connecting power to it,

Good luck, I hope you get to the bottom of your issue. if this is what you were asking for here is a wiring diagram for the tx2160, I would think it will give you an idea maybe not the same though.

Untitled by chrismac2012, on Flickr

Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris, nice to see you're still around here. Hope all is well.

The first problem was electrical. It turned out that the stater engine did not have any ground connection. I put an extra cable from the starter to the minus on battery and this fixed it (after i had to get a revised starter engine).

But after this was ok, it started the first time, and kept running slower and slower for 20 seconds until it stopped. After this i never got it started again.

It took me a few days to find out that i still had my excavator connected to the hydraulics. And of course there was something wrong with this excavator, causing the oil-pump to try and push the oil through the pipes (that were blocked). This will in the end stop the engine, and prevent it from starting.

In the end i disconnected the hydraulics from excavator, creating a much shorter circuit for the oil. After this it started.

So now i always start with short oil circuit, and connected the excavator after everything is nice and warm. :)

Thanks for thinking with me!.

M.

/ iseki tx1300F electrical problem... won't start #10  
Hi Chris, nice to see you're still around here. Hope all is well.

The first problem was electrical. It turned out that the stater engine did not have any ground connection. I put an extra cable from the starter to the minus on battery and this fixed it (after i had to get a revised starter engine).

But after this was ok, it started the first time, and kept running slower and slower for 20 seconds until it stopped. After this i never got it started again.

It took me a few days to find out that i still had my excavator connected to the hydraulics. And of course there was something wrong with this excavator, causing the oil-pump to try and push the oil through the pipes (that were blocked). This will in the end stop the engine, and prevent it from starting.

In the end i disconnected the hydraulics from excavator, creating a much shorter circuit for the oil. After this it started.

So now i always start with short oil circuit, and connected the excavator after everything is nice and warm. :)

Thanks for thinking with me!.

M.
I am fine thanks, I come on now and again just to see whats new, see if any old friends are sending out a SOS :ROFLMAO:,
Now I understand your issues, your excavator was basically stopping your engine from turning when the starter was engaged, glad you worked out the fix, your a PRO!! well done,

Take care

Chris