Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans

/ Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #1  

brianevans

Tractor
None
Hello All. My name is Brian Evans, I am the Associate Category Manager for RK Tractors and 3 point equipment (among other things) for Rural King. I want to introduce myself so everyone knows there is a way to get information and a "direct line" to the company for any questions. I have a significant amount of other duties at RK, so I may not respond immediately, but I will do my best to monitor the forums as much as possible. Everyone can feel free to pass my information to anyone they see that needs help on the forums or more information. Even if it is just Rural King related, not RK Tractors related, I'm more than happy to field those questions too. The RK Tractor Guy account will still be up, but for the near future, I'm here to answer questions under my own account.

Since I'm not sure how private messages work here on TBN, my email is bevans@ruralking.com. You can email me directly if it is faster to do so.

To dispel a rumor I've seen on this forum, RK is most definitely NOT getting out of tractors. In fact, we are opening more tractor stores in 2020, 2021, and all, or nearly all, new stores going forward will be tractor stores as well. RK has been in tractors twice before, once with Jinma/Foton tractors in the early 2000s, and once with MF tractors several years ago. RK is in the tractor business to stay. I can't discuss all the details, but there have been significant resources dedicated to the tractor program in the past and even more going forward. We have an entire team supporting RK Tractors.

I'm excited to be here and excited to be of service to you all. I will make the promise now that I won't shy away from any questions. I may not be able to discuss certain things, but I won't refuse to answer.

Last edited:
   / Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #2  
Brian, first of all, let me say welcome to TBN. It's good to know RK has a voice here again!

Also, my tractor is great, but I know my biggest concern (that I think a lot of others share) is the service aspect of RK Tractors. A lot of us have noticed the lack of appropriate service facilities and properly trained service techs available. Can you go into any detail regarding what, if anything, is being done to meet the customers needs with this apparent "weak link" in the system? Thanks.

/ Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #3  
Brian, first of all, let me say welcome to TBN. It's good to know RK has a voice here again!

Also, my tractor is great, but I know my biggest concern (that I think a lot of others share) is the service aspect of RK Tractors. A lot of us have noticed the lack of appropriate service facilities and properly trained service techs available. Can you go into any detail regarding what, if anything, is being done to meet the customers needs with this apparent "weak link" in the system? Thanks.

I want to say "welcome Brian" as well - it's great to have the official voice of RK Tractors back! Like Snymat68, I love love LOVE my RK tractor but also am concerned about servicing of the tractor for large scale problems - specifically ones where they might have to split it (not that it's gonna be necessary, but it was on my NH). On the RK55HC, you'd need a gantry crane to remove the cab and a floor lift or two at a minimum. The back area at the Front Royal store does not looked equipped to handle it (at least not as of a couple months ago). I'd agree that addressing this concern would put us current owners more at ease and you'd sell more RK tractors to those "undecideds" poking around on these forums. It's fine if RK and TYM can build a tractor that will never break - EVER! - but that's not a reality.

Last edited:
   / Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans

I want to say "welcome Brian" as well - it's great to have the official voice of RK Tractors back! Like Snymat68, I love love LOVE my RK tractor but also am concerned about servicing of the tractor for large scale problems - specifically ones where they might have to split it (not that it's gonna be necessary, but it was on my NH). On the RK55HC, you'd need a gantry crane to remove the cab and a floor lift or two at a minimum. The back area at the Front Royal store does not looked equipped to handle it (at least not as of a couple months ago). I'd agree that addressing this concern would put us current owners more at ease and you'd sell more RK tractors to those "undecideds" poking around on these forums. It's fine if RK and TYM can build a tractor that will never break - EVER! - but that's not a reality.

First, take me as the "unofficial official" voice of RK. No one here knows I'm doing this. Likely no one would care, but I just did it because I couldn't stand seeing people have issues that we're getting resolved and us not providing outrageous customer service. This brand is too important to me personally to let it get damaged by misinformation or speculation. The RK Tractor Guy account is still active, but we're currently sorting who's going to be in charge of that account. We have an entire team surrounding RK Tractors, so the departure of Doug, while it has caused a ripple, will not overturn the boat. Everyone up to our owners, board, and CEO is fully invested in RK Tractors. We're a multi-billion dollar, family-owned company that is debt-free, and RK Tractors uses enough cash to swing the entire company's bottom line. We don't rely on one person alone for anything.

Ask the RK Tractor Guy on our website is currently being handled by our service team.

So, let's talk about service. Service has historically been amazing at some stores, ok at some stores, but only adequate or less at some stores. That is the harsh reality. His goal and his vision is to make our shops work exactly the same across the entire company. If you ever have a problem with a store not responding, with something that isn't getting taken care of, a complaint or a comment about service, email me. We'd love to hear it.

As I noted earlier, we sold Foton/Jinma tractors over a decade ago. I worked in the stores when those tractors we being sold. We sold a bunch of them and they were a product and a price. We didn't have a service team or really any kind of plan to service the tractors. When we started up tractors this time we knew it had to be different. From the beginning we knew how important service was going to be to our customers.

We've stumbled a few times when it came to service. We've fallen short of not only our customers' expectations, but also our own expectations. But we've kept trying, kept getting better, and kept working. We're better now than we were last year, and next year we'll be better than we are now. Not because we're wishing for it, but because we are taking specific steps every day to get parts in faster, make the work more efficient, make communication faster and more streamlined, etc.

Rural King has made a heavy investment into service over the past couple of years. We currently have 9 mobile service trucks, and we're adding 5 more to service the western side of our business. These are A-level mechanics that have the knowledge and equipment to service a large number of concerns in the field. If they can't fix something in the field, we can transport the tractor back to the local store to work on it in a shop. For basic repair, the store shop mechanics may not even contact a mobile mechanic, but would be able to fix the problem there at the store.

Before we turn on tractors at a store, we do a physical survey to ensure the store is equipped to handle tractors. This is stuff like doors are large enough, lights are bright enough, proper equipment to do the job so no one gets hurt, enough space to work on tractors, etc. All the stuff that goes into setting up a shop. Any parts of the survey that are found lacking are fixed before that store has the first tractor roll off the truck. If you're in a store, you can absolutely ask to see the shop. We'd be happy to show you. Any of our stores, tractors or not. If you get told no or have a concern with what you've seen, email me immediately. We'll fix it.

We carry over $1.5 million worth of parts in our Waverly, Ohio Tractor Assembly Center. These parts are able to be shipped on our own fleet of trucks that run to every store 4-7 times per week. We've seen other tractor manufacturers stumble over parts and lack thereof and we refused to let that happen. In fact, we are making an additional investment of $500,000 this year, to bring our total parts to $2 million by 2020. We will still have a few parts that will have to be aired over from Korea, but they are the exception, not the rule. We have around 10 years worth of filters in our service centers. If you ever are in a store and they don't have the filters you need, email me directly. It means I've probably missed something and didn't get the stores replenished. As my leader reminds me weekly, we have filters.

To the point about splitting a case. If we have a tractor that needs a case split or something very big, like an engine replaced, we'd send the tractor to our Full Service Centers at either Waverly, OH in the north, or Williston, FL in the south. This is where our top mechanics have the space and large equipment like gantry cranes and large jacks that can lift tractors and pull them apart.

I hope this has helped put some facts to some of the rumors and helped everyone understand Rural King and RK Tractors' position within the company. Please, email me or comment here if you have any other comments or concerns. We exist to provide solutions to our customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #5  
To the point about splitting a case. If we have a tractor that needs a case split or something very big, like an engine replaced, we'd send the tractor to our Full Service Centers at either Waverly, OH in the north, or Williston, FL in the south. This is where our top mechanics have the space and large equipment like gantry cranes and large jacks that can lift tractors and pull them apart.

I don't consider that efficient either in time or economics. Certainly not to the customer in terms of down time.

/ Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #6  
Brian, I and many others welcome you aboard and appreciate you chiming in on RK's stance on RK tractors. I think I can speak for most of us here that knowing that someone from corporate level is monitoring this forum gives us a warm and fuzzy feeling. Overall I think most of us RK owners are very happy with our machines. I absolutely love my 37HC and spend as much time as possible playing around on it. I also praise my local store in Lake Wales. I have had nothing but outstanding support from them. Only suggestion I would have is for RK to rent trailers by the hour so we don't have to pay a third party to deliver. I know that RK wants to make a trailer sale but there are some of us that just can't see spending $4k on a trailer that we might only use a couple times. Again, welcome to the forum......Don

/ Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #7  
Thanks for posting Brian. Very brave on your part.

I'd suggest tomorrow you tell your superiors what you have done. You are going to need them to support this effort.

/ Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #8  
I don’t have a RK tractor, but it sure nice to see company employee going above the norm to help his customers.

/ Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans #9  
Only suggestion I would have is for RK to rent trailers by the hour so we don't have to pay a third party to deliver. I know that RK wants to make a trailer sale but there are some of us that just can't see spending $4k on a trailer that we might only use a couple times. Again, welcome to the forum......Don

Great idea, Don. Even Menards' rents pickup trucks for homeowners to get their bulky purchases home.

/ Introduction, RK Purchasing Team, Brian Evans
I don't consider that efficient either in time or economics. Certainly not to the customer in terms of down time.

I don't disagree with you, but that is the card we were dealt. It will be different at some point, with regional repair centers purpose built for tractor repair. But for now, it is what we have. We've had very, very few instances of that happening. Below the average, but I don't know how far below. Passing on what I've been told.