Intermittent noise solved

/ Intermittent noise solved #1  

MountainBuck

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P; Kubota RTV-X1100C
I've been hearing an intermittent noise on my 4500p that was solved today.

The noise would sound quite loud like a squeaky fan belt that was coming from the front right wheels. However, I could only hear it when in low gear traveling almost as fast as the machine would go and then not always. The noise had a "EEEYAAA EEEYAAA" rhythm to it that was in time with how fast the wheels were turning.

I had looked for the obvious cause like a stuck stick and such but could not find anything. My best guess was a wheel bearing but even that didn't seem right because the noise wasn't all the time. Finally I had enough so I called the dealer and the tech came out today.

Naturally when the tech arrived, I could not make the tractor make the noise. However, he found it anyway!

The noise was caused by the end of the emergency brake drum rubbing against the bracket that held the speed sensor. The rubbing actually caused a little notch cut into the bracket. The tech noticed the notch that wasn't supposed to be there. It was intermittent because the emergency brake drum can move in and out a bit.

Simple fix. Loosen the bracket and reposition. Tech said the speed sensor should have .060" clearance. Mine probably has a bit more now but I don't want to move it back unless I file out the groove so it can't rub anymore.

The tech said he had never seen this before so because of that, I thought it would be worth posting here. Maybe it will help someone else.

Update: Here is a picture of the noise of the emergency brake drum rubbing against speed sensor bracket. This is located between the front and rear wheels on the right side approximately below the emergency brake handle.

Noise.jpg

Last edited:
   / Intermittent noise solved #2  
It is worth posting here and good on ya for doing so.

It's what TBN really is all about. :thumbsup: