Interesting observations...

/ Interesting observations... #41  
Having spent 20 years as a farm machinery tech, I have seen clean machines and dirty machines. Some farmers felt it was important to keep their machines clean and spotless. Some just did not care how dirty the machine was.
Those that kept the machines clean were those that were not large farmers and had time to keep things shined. Those that were large farmers both crops and dairy often did not have time to clean the machine often.
Here are my observations. Those that kept the machines super clean often had issues with levers sticking, and frequent sealed bearing replacement, and even some rusting on parts that were rubbed bare from use. Even frequent belt and idler replacement.
Those that the machine was left dirty often were not sheded either and often suffered from rust and rot issues. Those that were sheded where water and humidity was held a bay seemed to have the longest life and least problems.
No matter whether clean or dirty when the item needs repaired it cannot always be washed, and must be cleaned as best possible before opening any housings.
The biggest advantage to a clean machine is in the resale price, buyers seem to think clean is better. Personally when buying I like to see it in its work clothes, it tells a better story than a perfectly clean machine. With that I am not saying an occasional cleaning or washing is not a bad idea.

/ Interesting observations... #42  
A working on a filthy tractor not only gets you filthy but when you remove parts or assemblies that filth gets inside those parts or inside the tractor. You should see the filthy tractors that Dennis at my Kubota dealer has to work on talk about filth and grease and dirt and crud.... he's gotten to the point where he puts degreaser on them and gives them a hot water pressure wash first and then they charge the customer for it.
I'm with you here mostly. I just did the major service (full fluids and filters) on my Kioti and you can be DARNED sure that I power washed the whole tractor, air sprayed and rag cleaned all the service areas before risking any crud getting into my motor or hydraulic system. And having dirt fall on your face when you are under a car or tractor is pretty awful.

However you're being a bit OCD with the PTO shaft and remotes. Sure, I keep my remotes capped because the rubber boot is there so why the heck wouldn't you. But if your remote fittings don't leak oil, then they also don't let crud inside. So as long as you wipe them off with a rag before connecting any attachments, there is basically zero issue with leaving them exposed in the meantime. And the PTO shaft is not delicate. There is always some grease on mine, so it won't rust, and again - just hit it with a rag when needed. What do you do with your greasy PTO cap when you need to hook something up?

/ Interesting observations...
However you're being a bit OCD with the PTO shaft and remotes.
Not really, but then I'm constantly using them. Why I went with the Kubota flip covers and as far as the PTO stub goes, the cover has grease in it so the stub stays greased all the time.

/ Interesting observations... #44  
1693918055807.jpeg

1693918187040.jpeg

/ Interesting observations...
I don't use our well water for wash down as it's loaded with calcium and leaves behind a white film when dry so I have 2 350 gallon IBC totes that the eavestroughs on the shop empty into and I use rainwater for washdown. 700 gallons is plenty most times.

/ Interesting observations... #47  
Seems like every time a poster posts a picture of their tractors, they are always filthy. Myself, I'd be offended to post a picture of mine (remember, I have more than one) being dirty, you won't find mine dirty unless I just came in from the field and last thing I do is wash them I cringe when I see that because removing and installing parts on a filthy tractor is inviting the filth inside the works... and

The other thing I see on here when someone posts a picture of the backend of their tractor, the remote female connectors never have any plugs in them. My remotes (I have 3 sets on each tractor) are always capped when not in use, You can buy rubber lanyard caps at TSC for cheap or spring for the spring loaded self closing ones that any Kubota dealer sells (what I have). Leaving the remotes open and dirty inside causes internal rust plus they won't seal to the male ends properly and leak and replacements aren't cheap.

I also cover my PTO shaft when not in use. You can buy slip on plastic pto stub covers cheap as well. Keeps then clean and rust free and you can put a bit of grease in the cover as well.

Just things I notice when looking at tractors on this site...
Some people use their tractors and some just wash and wax and put back in the shed. If I die tomorrow someone will need to wash and wax mine before they enjoy owning it. (If I remember right it was blue the last time I washed it.)

/ Interesting observations... #48  
Betcha when they got home, the bikes got washed... Never seen a dirty Hardley ever.
2 of the bikes got washed at the North Pole, mine didn’t get washed until a few days after I got home. Like to keep my stuff reasonably clean but you will never see me laying on the ground scrubbing and polishing the bottom of any motorcycle I own.

/ Interesting observations... #49  
I have a tolerance level for dirt and grime. Washing before working on a machine is common sense. Protecting ports from dirt and rust, same thing. Washing after every use is personal choice, some folks don't have the time. If it makes you feel good or feeds your sense of pride, by all means do it. No one can or should fault you for it.

I used to have a farmer friend, he'd ask for help with his tractors which he used and abused with zero maintenance. One time he called in a panic, the hydro went out on the tractor he was using to haul hay to the cows. I went there to investigate, he had drained the oil into several open top buckets, looked like a vanilla milk shake. I told him the reason the valves were frozen is the water in the system was rusting the spools in the bores. He said "I'm not replacing all that oil"! That was the last time I went there to help.

I know a couple woodworking guys with immaculate shops in their basements. Hyper organized, nice tools all on display. Not much real wood working goes on, things would get out of place. Then there's that sawdust problem...

/ Interesting observations... #50  
Seems like every time a poster posts a picture of their tractors, they are always filthy. Myself, I'd be offended to post a picture of mine (remember, I have more than one) being dirty, you won't find mine dirty unless I just came in from the field and last thing I do is wash them I cringe when I see that because removing and installing parts on a filthy tractor is inviting the filth inside the works... and

The other thing I see on here when someone posts a picture of the backend of their tractor, the remote female connectors never have any plugs in them. My remotes (I have 3 sets on each tractor) are always capped when not in use, You can buy rubber lanyard caps at TSC for cheap or spring for the spring loaded self closing ones that any Kubota dealer sells (what I have). Leaving the remotes open and dirty inside causes internal rust plus they won't seal to the male ends properly and leak and replacements aren't cheap.

I also cover my PTO shaft when not in use. You can buy slip on plastic pto stub covers cheap as well. Keeps then clean and rust free and you can put a bit of grease in the cover as well.

Just things I notice when looking at tractors on this site...
There are more important things in life than keeping tractors equipment and vehicles squeeky clean.
I have 7 tractors 2 wheelloaders 1 track steer a bobcat and an excavator 4 trucks and and array of farm equipment and if i have to worry about keeping all that stuff clean there wont be enough time in the day left to do anything else. Mechanically everything is in good shape and greased and oiled so F the dirt, Rain will take care of most of that.