Interesting observations...

/ Interesting observations... #31  
I literally thank the Lord every time I take a shower!

I think showers are one of the great pleasures the Lord invented when he created the Universe .

It ranks up there with food and co-mingling with your mate!

/ Interesting observations... #32  
I am surprised by how some folks seem to worry about possibly getting a rusty PTO shaft, the only rusty PTO shafts I’ve ever seen were on tractors that hadn’t been used in many years and sat outside

/ Interesting observations...
Let me pose this question.... Filthy tractors abound on here (seems like every picture ither than new is filthy) but have you ever seen a filthy motorcycle on here?

Curious minds want to know????

/ Interesting observations... #34  
Seems like every time a poster posts a picture of their tractors, they are always filthy. Myself, I'd be offended to post a picture of mine (remember, I have more than one) being dirty, you won't find mine dirty unless I just came in from the field and last thing I do is wash them I cringe when I see that because removing and installing parts on a filthy tractor is inviting the filth inside the works... and

The other thing I see on here when someone posts a picture of the backend of their tractor, the remote female connectors never have any plugs in them. My remotes (I have 3 sets on each tractor) are always capped when not in use, You can buy rubber lanyard caps at TSC for cheap or spring for the spring loaded self closing ones that any Kubota dealer sells (what I have). Leaving the remotes open and dirty inside causes internal rust plus they won't seal to the male ends properly and leak and replacements aren't cheap.

I also cover my PTO shaft when not in use. You can buy slip on plastic pto stub covers cheap as well. Keeps then clean and rust free and you can put a bit of grease in the cover as well.

Just things I notice when looking at tractors on this site...
I have learned over the years that if a contractor pulls up to give me a quote on a job and his truck or equipment is a few years old but almost clean as a new one he cares more about his equipment than performing good work. I'll take dirty, used tools and equipment coupled with first class work any day.

/ Interesting observations... #35  
Seems like every time a poster posts a picture of their tractors, they are always filthy. Myself, I'd be offended to post a picture of mine (remember, I have more than one) being dirty, you won't find mine dirty unless I just came in from the field and last thing I do is wash them I cringe when I see that because removing and installing parts on a filthy tractor is inviting the filth inside the works... and

The other thing I see on here when someone posts a picture of the backend of their tractor, the remote female connectors never have any plugs in them. My remotes (I have 3 sets on each tractor) are always capped when not in use, You can buy rubber lanyard caps at TSC for cheap or spring for the spring loaded self closing ones that any Kubota dealer sells (what I have). Leaving the remotes open and dirty inside causes internal rust plus they won't seal to the male ends properly and leak and replacements aren't cheap.

I also cover my PTO shaft when not in use. You can buy slip on plastic pto stub covers cheap as well. Keeps then clean and rust free and you can put a bit of grease in the cover as well.

Just things I notice when looking at tractors on this site...
Seems to me like you never use your tractor much. Mine is run 10 to12 hours a day for weeks . You are right it does not get washed very often. I do wash it before I do maintenance on it rather than grease it regularly.

/ Interesting observations...
Seems to me like you never use your tractor much. Mine is run 10 to12 hours a day for weeks . You are right it does not get washed very often. I do wash it before I do maintenance on it rather than grease it regularly.
Wrong. I'd say with 6000+ hours on the open station and 4000+ hours on the cab tractor, they aren't 'sitting in the barn' very much. In fact the round baler is coupled to the cab tractor presently and soon as the 'dew' is off, I'm round bailing.

/ Interesting observations... #37  
There is a difference between caked on mud on and in, your tractor, and dust. I like everything clean, and the OP has a point about dirt, mud, (or corrosion), having a potential problem with all the electronics and mechanical stuff on a tractor.

But my dealer told me the day he delivered it, not to power wash it (at least under the hood). But rather, use a leaf blower to get rid of debris. If I'm working in mud and it gets on the engine, or body panels, I'll rinse it off, but otherwise I just take the leaf blower to get rid of debris. So technically my tractor is "dirty" with dust, but clean from corrosion.

And I always make sure all the moving parts have grease, oil, coolant, etc.

I view my tractor as a tool, not a vehicle.

/ Interesting observations... #38  
I used to be pretty fastidious about keeping my stuff clean and would wash up right after use. Many years ago I had a International Harvester. They had a placard right in the engine bay that said “Do not wash”. I thought that was ridiculous so I washed anyways. Well, let me tell you what can happen when you hit your high pressure pump (Bosch in this case) with cold water.. I started the unit to put it away, the engine started running oddly. It hunted a bit and then smoothed out and was fine. The next day as I started it, it blew a big wad of black smoke and then ran fine.. After warm up, it started hunting again at an idle. Under load, it seemed to be down on power and ultimately it barely ran long enough to get it back to the shop. Upon examination, I found bits of shrapnel in the high pressur fuel lines.. The metal in the pump warped/moved and when I first started it after its bath, the pump had started to consume its own parts. The pump was a total loss and I could not rebuild it or a couple injectors that also had “eaten” some of the shrapnel.
I was trained in the US Navy as an Engineman (Diesel mechanic) and we were always taught to never EVER wash a diesel engine when it’s hot - but they never told us why. Well, I learned the hard way. Now I only wash the engine bay when everything is stone cold and just before I work on it.
This tractor I am currently steward of is in a remote location and I don’t have water or power there - but when I bring it back to the shop to perform my inspections and maintenance, it gets a bath first.
You do you - but that’s my story…

/ Interesting observations... #39  
I use an 80v blower to blow off the tractor and engine compartment after use. I do this with all of my equipment. I hate dirty equipment, and I also dislike fires due to grass, seeds, chaff collecting in hot areas.

/ Interesting observations... #40  
Sunday go for ride tractor gets washed often, Work tractor gets washed if I get caught in the rain, or I'm gonna perform maintenance on it. Life is short, enjoy all of it, washing tractors is ok if your X generation.