Infested with UTVs?

/ Infested with UTVs?
There are good and bad in every crowd.

If they are following other traffic laws I dont see the big deal?

Are they noisier than a car....sure most are. But they arent louder than a harley running down the road. Or someones hotrod.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. If a farmer is allowed to run a UTV up and down the road to do "chores".....Why cant anyone? As long as they stay on their side of the road, dont impede traffic, and do it in a respectful manner?

If they were operating in a 'something close to sane' way, I would not be whining about it. If they are sideways in a turn, on the wrong side of the gravel road and force my family to swerve off the road, I'd call that "impeding" other traffic. I'm not talking about Arly maintaining the trails out there.

Trying to get a police presence out there would be difficult because it's very rural.

/ Infested with UTVs? #52  
Funny story kind of and grossly off topic I'll try and keep it short. My stepson was 4 or 5 parked his battery operated power wheels behind my truck I almost ran it over. So I put it in the back of my truck told him not to leave toys out or the made up character my grandmother used to use will come around and take it. My late grandmothers made up characters name was Joe Magazuk. He told his grandma and grandpa Joe Magazuk stole his power wheels anger and chaos ensued. Grandparents were ready to find the made up Joe Magazuk and have a few choice words with him. Fortunately my wife and I explained the situation in a timely manner. Stepson never left toys out again, and I never bring Joe Magazuk up at family get togethers to them. Lol.

/ Infested with UTVs? #53  
Here in Hungry Horse/Coram area outside GNP we now have 2-3 vendors that rents these out in the toura$$ season, they run up and down forest service roads like it's a racetrack, no helmets and probably not familiar with UTV's. We have a huge area of forest service roads around Hungry Horse reservoir. But the amount of traffic since covid refugees has made me quit venturing in the woods on my atv or dual sport.

/ Infested with UTVs? #54  
Here in Hungry Horse/Coram area outside GNP we now have 2-3 vendors that rents these out in the toura$$ season, they run up and down forest service roads like it's a racetrack, no helmets and probably not familiar with UTV's. We have a huge area of forest service roads around Hungry Horse reservoir. But the amount of traffic since covid refugees has made me quit venturing in the woods on my atv or dual sport.
I've read about an increasing number of fatalities on sxs they unfortunately flip upside down in deeper water or get submerged occupants occasionally drowned cause they can't unbuckle in a timely manner. I've seen folks that rent these things and they make me scratch my head in bewilderment. They apparently need another warning sticker on them giving max depth you can traverse safely with an emphasis on it not being amphibious or being able to float.

/ Infested with UTVs? #55  
I don't want to tick anybody off, but is anybody else a little tired of the side-by-sides and UTVs crowding into the formerly quiet woods and small county roads?

I'm not talking about a guy working with his UTV to carry fence posts or animal feeds... I'm talking about all the wanna be rally drivers blasting around on them like, well... closed course rally car events. We used to never see people around our quiet woods, and now sometimes day and sometimes night, it sounds like a racetrack. There have been two separate helicopter ambulance evacs, too. I'm not opposed to racetracks, but those aren't public roads. When my wife and kids and grandkids are driving down the road, and tell me repeatedly they almost got hit... I'm just getting tired of it and hoping this fad wears out.

I guess there's nothing I can do, so I guess I just wasted your time venting. Sorry. I like my dirtbikes and ATVs, but I ride them on my own place and they're not loud.

I live next to the Paul Bunyan State Forest and the humble township road going past my place is a major throughway for snowmobiles, ATVs, UTVs, and dirt bikes. 40 years ago there weren't any UTVs and nobody had an ATV and it was just myself and my friends with our motocrossers zipping around the Bunyan. Then starting in the nineties boomers got into Harleys and breaking the quiet rustle of the wind whistling through the forest's pine needles was the distant rumble of open-piped Harleys rumbling around.

Meanwhile, due to an old injury from when I broke my back in 1991, by the middle 2000s, the writing was on the wall and I knew I wouldn't be able to ride motorcycles for much longer and I finished out my motorcycling days on an AMA-spec Husqvarna SM510R Supermoto on the track. By the end of 2006, with three back surgeries under my belt, I wasn't able to ride motorcycles again.

49238869281_de74c9ad1d_k.jpg

49244115526_541d49f2a9_h.jpg

Roll forward to the spring of 2018. As content for my YouTube channel, I had been going to salvage auctions buying wrecks, and fixing them. A 2017 Polaris RZR with a crushed roll cage and doors that would not close was up for auction. I decided the RZR had been totaled because the adjustor thought the cart's frame was bent since the doors would not close, but the frame wasn't bent. So with just 195 miles on the RZR, I got the machine from the auction and replaced the roll cage with EBay parts for less than $800 and I had a less-than-one-year-old RZR for less than $10K with 195 miles on it!

I was going to sell the RZR, but I found out that my back could tolerate riding it around and it riding it around was a lot of fun. Not as much fun as nimble motorcycles, but still fun.

Given that my small town thrives on vacationers and retired people enjoying themselves, I'm fine with the extra noise from UTVs running around and boats on the lake as I know those people are enjoying themselves just as I do myself when I'm out boating or bumming around with my UTV or boats.

/ Infested with UTVs? #56  
I think ATVs and snowmobiles start to get a bad rap cause owners start doing mods that make them louder like aftermarket exhaust which are in most areas illegal over a certain decibel,

I like running around quickly when it is safe to do so (I often night ride for that reason) as doing so is smoother over bumps and rocks. That said, one thing I do not like about my own 100hp golf cart is the exhaust noise in the cab. If there was a quieter exhaust option I'd get it as my RZR has plenty of power for the woods and I often have passengers.

/ Infested with UTVs? #58  
I live next to the Paul Bunyan State Forest and the humble township road going past my place is a major throughway for snowmobiles, ATVs, UTVs, and dirt bikes. 40 years ago there weren't any UTVs and nobody had an ATV and it was just myself and my friends with our motocrossers zipping around the Bunyan. Then starting in the nineties boomers got into Harleys and breaking the quiet rustle of the wind whistling through the forest's pine needles was the distant rumble of open-piped Harleys rumbling around.

Meanwhile, due to an old injury from when I broke my back in 1991, by the middle 2000s, the writing was on the wall and I knew I wouldn't be able to ride motorcycles for much longer and I finished out my motorcycling days on an AMA-spec Husqvarna SM510R Supermoto on the track. By the end of 2006, with three back surgeries under my belt, I wasn't able to ride motorcycles again.

49238869281_de74c9ad1d_k.jpg

49244115526_541d49f2a9_h.jpg

Roll forward to the spring of 2018. As content for my YouTube channel, I had been going to salvage auctions buying wrecks, and fixing them. A 2017 Polaris RZR with a crushed roll cage and doors that would not close was up for auction. I decided the RZR had been totaled because the adjustor thought the cart's frame was bent since the doors would not close, but the frame wasn't bent. So with just 195 miles on the RZR, I got the machine from the auction and replaced the roll cage with EBay parts for less than $800 and I had a less-than-one-year-old RZR for less than $10K with 195 miles on it!

I was going to sell the RZR, but I found out that my back could tolerate riding it around and it riding it around was a lot of fun. Not as much fun as nimble motorcycles, but still fun.

Given that my small town thrives on vacationers and retired people enjoying themselves, I'm fine with the extra noise from UTVs running around and boats on the lake as I know those people are enjoying themselves just as I do myself when I'm out boating or bumming around with my UTV or boats.

I am wondering about your foot out during cornering ? is this common practice ? thought that was only a ice/dirt technique and on asphalt you had to keep in on the peg ?

/ Infested with UTVs? #60  
guess
What an inanely stupid comment.
I'm stupid and you are holder of all wisdom.... Plenty of HD out there that have straight pipes and were never tuned for the not having a muffler, some don't idle worth a @!#@!!