UTV Tires

/ UTV Tires #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
So I have waded through some long threads and they touch on topics I'd like to dig deeper on...

I have a UTV in my future no brand yet, not the point of this thread. I'd like to know more about tire options and the pros/cons. It will be used for transit on our property and sometimes on our county road...partially paved. No snow or little enough it can be ignored or waited-out. Mostly forested, loblolly pines in overgrown, for now, rows. UTV will also haul wood, dirt, and gear as needed around the property. No lawn.

Educate me, please.

/ UTV Tires #2  
I have an ‘08 Yamaha rhino. Soon after getting it I installed a set of ITP mud lite xtr’s. Many will installed larger than factory sizes, but resist the urge. Larger tires will hurt acceleration and not handle as well. I like the mud lites for traction in wet spots, rocks and hills. I use the rhino as a farm vehicle but it’s unstoppable as long as it doesn’t bottom out on the chassis. I have a creek and low areas on my farm. I don’t intentionally ride in the mud for fun, but sometimes you end up in it. They handle ok on pavement.

/ UTV Tires #3  
My Pioneer 520 came with basic 24" tires and was geared really low. Many people start out in 2nd, and 5th gear is revving high when it hits the 37mph limit. So with this in mind and in the interest of gaining a bit of ground clearance I ordered a set of 26" Bighorn 3.0 on lighter aluminum wheels with a 5/2 offset which moves them out about an inch wider making my 50" machine just over 52" now. The Bighorn 3 tires hook up better than the stock tires and being radials ride better, I gained an inch in height and ground clearance but by going wider it's just as stable on side hills. And it tops around 40mph now.

Here it is with stock wheels and tires.

And here with the new 26" wheels and tires.

/ UTV Tires #4  
Also look at wheel size. 12" and 14" seem to be the most common now. Ride might be better on a smaller wheel, more sidewall to flex. Handling at speed might be better on bigger wheel, less sidewall to squirm/flex.

/ UTV Tires #5  
I also have had good luck with ITP Mudlites;had them put on my Viking new at the dealer.They wear well and have good traction.I also went up one tire size.

/ UTV Tires #6  
Imo get 14 inch rims minimum 6ply tires 14rims give you more tire options, probably want to go one size tire up, which shouldn't give you any problems. I run a 500 pioneer for work the stock tires were complete garbage I was always getting flats. Bought 14 rims and 26inch 6ply tires Paid around 800 for them 5 yrs ago, never had any problems since, wear on them has been pretty minimal.

/ UTV Tires #7  
The Worksite tires on my RTV X900 were wonderful and lasted 10,000 miles. I plowed with them and I was always amazed at the traction. I replaced them with Sedona Coyote's and I love them also. I went with them instead of the worksite because I saved over 100 dollars and a friend had them and liked them. They are terrific in the snow as well.

/ UTV Tires #8  
East Texas? Have thorns, sapling stobs and sharp rocks? You will want a Pro Armor XG Crawler in 8 ply. We have both here plus some pavement. 3500 miles on a set with only 2 punctures. I sold them at half tread and the guy is still running them. They do great in the mud as well.

If you in swamp country you may want a little more aggressive tread. You will pay for it in tire wear on the partially paved road.

Lots and lots of tire reviews on youtube.

/ UTV Tires #9  
So I have waded through some long threads and they touch on topics I'd like to dig deeper on...

I have a UTV in my future no brand yet, not the point of this thread. I'd like to know more about tire options and the pros/cons. It will be used for transit on our property and sometimes on our county road...partially paved. No snow or little enough it can be ignored or waited-out. Mostly forested, loblolly pines in overgrown, for now, rows. UTV will also haul wood, dirt, and gear as needed around the property. No lawn.

Educate me, please.

Tusk Terrabites are good, tough, DOT-rated radial tires. I've been happy with them in the Paul Bunyan that has a lot of rocks, roots, loom, hard pack, and then more rocks. I did cut a sidewall on one tire in the last 3,000 miles. Anyway, Terrabites are what I run in the summer on my UTV. Also, don't buy bigger wheels and tires for whatever you get. Doing so is hard on the suspension and wheel bearings.

50429727237_affdcf8433_k.jpg

I run Commanders with about 150 studs in each tire in the winter.

49702911533_d9f3990c42_k.jpg

49241517638_215169bbe0_k.jpg

/ UTV Tires
I grew up SW of you about a couple of hours. I don't miss winter that much...I wish we had about 2 weeks of it. We get a couple of days a year on average down here.

Thanks for the advice.