Infested with UTVs?

/ Infested with UTVs? #112  
In CO UTVs are illegal on public roads. I am very happy about that. We had a fire arould my area of CO a few years ago and the USFS shutdown 90% of the UTV/offroad trails for the next 10-20 years for remediation. Im also happy about that!

They like to occassionally zip down the road illegally to a local eatery. I promptly call the sheriff if I see them. Cant stand that noise. These arent local people they are city idiots that have no respect.

/ Infested with UTVs? #113  
That's 'required' in the Harley world. Who'd want a Harley that sounds like a Honda?
In the Harley world it's "look at me". No requirement whatsoever. Kinda like the kids who think their diesel truck blowing black smoke is a "requirement".

No need for "loud pipes save lives" propaganda. :)

/ Infested with UTVs? #114  
I'll give you all a happy story that will pick up your day because it proves there are still respectful teens out there.

We're surrounded by dirt roads, and a group of teens were racing around the dirt roads.

I figured out their pattern and parked my truck in the road and got out to wait for them. They did stop for me. I asked them to remove their helmets and they did.

I told them the truth:
"This gravel is like ball bearings and once you lose traction, there's no way to recover. The problem is you don't even know you've lost traction until you're already sliding. You'll keep sliding until you hit a telephone pole or a concrete head gate in the ditch."

"But there's no place else to ride."

"I know. I hope you can find a place, but you can't go zipping around here."

"Okay."

"You can go ahead and go. Good luck finding a riding spot."

"Thank you."

I have to say, they were very respectful. It was actually a positive exchange.

/ Infested with UTVs? #115  
Anyone ever here of a snowmobiler getting partially or fully decapitated trying to get across a fence line? I have, I wish no Ill will on a ungrateful hippy millennial driving a Prius down a two track, or a punk driving across someone's including my own property with a overly loud exhaust can. Imho and experience there's a way to learn from mistakes and setting up booby traps to teach someone a "lesson" isn't one of them.
Quite a few years ago now, a land owner in a near by county was having problems with ATVs and dirt bikes running down his road/trail, so he put up a cable across the road. Some riders came down the trail/road in low light and got killed. Sheriff did not prosecute. Have not idea if there was a civil suit.

Seems to come and go but we will have a cluster of UTV and dirt bike deaths, usually from running on, or along public roads. There has not been any deaths in some time, thankfully.

Dirt bikes and UTVs are not just a problem in rural area but they also infest cities. Groups riding UTVs and dirt bikes speed on public roads but some law enforcement agencies are prevented by policy from chasing the offenders. So calling for law enforcement action will not work in some jurisdictions.

/ Infested with UTVs? #116  
Quite a few years ago now, a land owner in a near by county was having problems with ATVs and dirt bikes running down his road/trail, so he put up a cable across the road. Some riders came down the trail/road in low light and got killed. Sheriff did not prosecute. Have not idea if there was a civil suit.

Seems to come and go but we will have a cluster of UTV and dirt bike deaths, usually from running on, or along public roads. There has not been any deaths in some time, thankfully.

Dirt bikes and UTVs are not just a problem in rural area but they also infest cities. Groups riding UTVs and dirt bikes speed on public roads but some law enforcement agencies are prevented by policy from chasing the offenders. So calling for law enforcement action will not work in some jurisdictions.
Back in the 70's my father had problems with dirt bikes going down through the field just as he was about to cut the hay. He put up signs every year...every year they ran them over. When they are running down through the mature hay three abreast you know darned well they are just doing it to pi$$ him off.

He talked to the local PD and even gave them names but was told that unless they saw it there was nothing they could do. His reply: "You tell them that we have a lot of woodchucks around here. If they happen to get in the way when I'm shooting there is nothing that I can do."

Dirt bikes stopped immediately.

I remember sitting out on the picnic table having supper a couple of years later when one of the kids went down the road, and gave a smart aleck smile as he went by. He wasn't in the hay though so it didn't matter.

/ Infested with UTVs? #117  
When I was in high school some friends and I frog hunted, a lot. We would spot a pond and knock on the door of the house nearby to ask permission. We would ask if there were any cattle around and the direction of nearby houses so we would know what directions to not shoot. Offer to bring frogs to homeowner. And explain that we used the lowest powered 22 rifle ammo we could get. We were rarely not given permission. Showing respect for the homeowners and their property works.

Once we had a stringer of frogs we would take them to town and trade them for beer at a bootleggers house. Times have changed.

RSKY

/ Infested with UTVs? #118  
I'll give you all a happy story that will pick up your day because it proves there are still respectful teens out there.

We're surrounded by dirt roads, and a group of teens were racing around the dirt roads.

I figured out their pattern and parked my truck in the road and got out to wait for them. They did stop for me. I asked them to remove their helmets and they did.

I told them the truth:
"This gravel is like ball bearings and once you lose traction, there's no way to recover. The problem is you don't even know you've lost traction until you're already sliding. You'll keep sliding until you hit a telephone pole or a concrete head gate in the ditch."

"But there's no place else to ride."

"I know. I hope you can find a place, but you can't go zipping around here."

"Okay."

"You can go ahead and go. Good luck finding a riding spot."

"Thank you."

I have to say, they were very respectful. It was actually a positive exchange.
Last summer a local teen was hammering on his quad on our gravel road, lost control and gob smacked the guardrail next to the ditch and that was then end of him. Stupid is as stupid does.

/ Infested with UTVs? #119  
A cable can put you on thin ice legally unless you make it VERY visible, like tying flagging tape every foot or so, or run it thru a piece of PVC pipe painted some really visible color. I'd imagine it's a legal requirement in many, even most states.