Infested with UTVs?

/ Infested with UTVs? #101  
A LONG time ago we had problems on property that had Clark's River as the western boundary and Damon Creek as part of the southern boundary. This happened before ATVs and UTVs arrived on the scene. We knew people were putting their trail bikes in at a bridge about a mile south and riding up to Damon Creek and exiting the river up the creek and out onto our property. There was only one spot to get out because of the trees and underbrush. They would exit the creek and ride up the old driveway to the paved road. My dad ignored the tracks until it was explained that they could get hurt on our property and sue him. So we dropped a couple small trees across the trail leading from the creek to the fields. Next weekend the trees were moved and they cut donuts in the knee high popcorn. Flattened maybe a quarter to half acre. Looked like they had ridden down the rows to knock it over. So we dropped some LARGE trees across the trail. Two to three foot diameter trees. That stopped the riders.

RSKY

/ Infested with UTVs? #102  
The financial responsibility is an important part of this. I always wonder about the people driving around having insurance. Of course they all have licenses, right?
The clubs carry insurance to protect the landowner. We also have very strong laws protecting the same. No license needed to run a recreational vehice. Many states also require insurance before licensing an RV... a problem I encountered when working in NY because of their no-fault insurance.

/ Infested with UTVs? #103  
A LONG time ago we had problems on property that had Clark's River as the western boundary and Damon Creek as part of the southern boundary. This happened before ATVs and UTVs arrived on the scene. We knew people were putting their trail bikes in at a bridge about a mile south and riding up to Damon Creek and exiting the river up the creek and out onto our property. There was only one spot to get out because of the trees and underbrush. They would exit the creek and ride up the old driveway to the paved road. My dad ignored the tracks until it was explained that they could get hurt on our property and sue him. So we dropped a couple small trees across the trail leading from the creek to the fields. Next weekend the trees were moved and they cut donuts in the knee high popcorn. Flattened maybe a quarter to half acre. Looked like they had ridden down the rows to knock it over. So we dropped some LARGE trees across the trail. Two to three foot diameter trees. That stopped the riders.

RSKY
I wouldn't even mess with that. All that I have to do is contact the Warden Service and they take care of it.

If you really want to screw up, get caught on camera tearing a sign down which a game warden has put up. :D

/ Infested with UTVs? #104  

RSKY
Folks should be able to tell if a tree was felled by a chainsaw to be used as or like a gate on a two track or at least I can.

/ Infested with UTVs? #105  
I wouldn't even mess with that. All that I have to do is contact the Warden Service and they take care of it.

If you really want to screw up, get caught on camera tearing a sign down which a game warden has put up. :D

This was in the late sixties or early seventies. Not much activity from game wardens, etc. at that time in Kentucky. But you could get in serious trouble for damaging or changing the banks of creeks and rivers. The creek flowed across our property for about a hundred yards with the banks low enough for access for maybe sixty to a hundred feet.

RSKY

/ Infested with UTVs? #106  
Some states allow a non dot certified sxs to be used on public roadways mostly by adding mirrors, turn signals, and windshield wipers. So at the prices folks pay for them l think they start using them like a car going to the grocery store. Which I don't agree with however the inconvenience, time, and money that would need to be spent to get it to a trailhead by trailering when your only a mile or two away, or completely blocking a local business from ATV and snowmobile commerce, wouldn't make sense to me either. Posted enforced speed limits of 25mph and enforcement of noise restrictions on public roadways to get to a trail make sense to me though.

/ Infested with UTVs? #107  
In my home state, on some state land along the river it was posted "no motor vehicles" and people were driving around the signage and making a mess. I state game warden was getting tired of this and installed a board with spikes a ways into the property. After installing that, someone rolled there truck after a there tire or tires flatted and the operator was killed. I'm confident they didn't have there seat-belt on. The game warden was later changed with manslaughter became he had acted outside of the states direction. So who learned a lesson here? :unsure:

/ Infested with UTVs? #108  
Folks should be able to tell if a tree was felled by a chainsaw to be used as or like a gate on a two track or at least I can.

You have to be careful felling or removing trees on a riverbank. I believe you can remove one across a stream but not one that has fallen longways to a stream. Or that was the rules seventy years ago. We had problems with the bank being undercut and large trees falling into the creek diverting the water into our field and onto the crops. Some state agency took care of that.

The sheriff in that county was the one that told dad what to do. I was not involved in the conversation but remember dad saying that the trees had to be big enough to be seen from a distance.

RSKY

/ Infested with UTVs? #109  
In my home state, on some state land along the river it was posted "no motor vehicles" and people were driving around the signage and making a mess. I state game warden was getting tired of this and installed a board with spikes a ways into the property. After installing that, someone rolled there truck after a there tire or tires flatted and the operator was killed. I'm confident they didn't have there seat-belt on. The game warden was later changed with manslaughter became he had acted outside of the states direction. So who learned a lesson here? :unsure:
Hmm sounds like a weekend two track booze cruise I hope folks don't put blame of rutted trails solely on ATVs or a sxs but also include occasional use by a much heavier 4x4 truck or even a Prius lol